Just Hear Me Out

JustHearMeOutPlease

Banned
Banned
RVACane and JeddTheFisch, I’m willing to have a civil, private or open discussion regarding my account. I sent photos of my degree in my last appeal. Why am I being treated this way? I did not troll anyone or anything (at least I don’t see how?). I did not use derogatory language or insult anyone (although plenty of people did it to me). All I asked was if the BIG was actually interested in Miami and you guys and everyone swarmed on me as if I insulted your religious prophet, once again accusing me of trolling. I did not post this question in order to anger anyone, it was just an honest question. Before that, I was contributing to the discussion, even replying/liking posts from RVACane and several others.

I do not understand what I have done wrong, or what I need to do to make things right. All I’m asking for is forgiveness and a discussion. We can talk about it in purgatory or via email. Not sure if there’s a way to DM through here. However you’d like. You guys don’t seem like bad people and I truly believe you got me wrong and there’s a serious misunderstanding somewhere. I am absolutely an alumni of this school and I’ll do whatever it takes to iprove it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
OK, I usually start out as a troll hard-*** and then turn into a softie when the begging commences (I'm Catholic), but I also don't have access to the Moderator tools to see past history (both screen names and other posts).

As for the UM degree...I don't know, anyone can take a picture. I'm not saying yes or no, just pointing out that it's only one data point.

The stuff about Iron Arrow shook me. I don't know how ANY UM alum does not know that. It's freaking ubiquitous (I love that word).

Where I do get annoyed is on the self-minimization of what he did. I think we've seen this a million times..."all I did was ask a question, man". Yeah, right. That's not all, because we've got thousands and thousands of posts of REAL question-asking that doesn't set off the Spidey-sense in a dozen different posters (some who don't even like one another).

I didn't accuse him of trolling on Post 1. As I said, I detected a pattern of low-key passive-aggressive Miami hostility. Now, to be honest, that COULD come from a UM alum, after all, tuition has gotten quite high lately. But then right after offering to "send a copy" of his vaunted UM degree, he started denigrating college degrees. Very strange.

I am fine with "asking questions". I am fine with "difference of opinion". But the references to the Big 10 being interested in UM are easily found if someone just, you know, Googles. Which was my point on his "selective belief". He can find one reference to UNC being desired by the Big 10 and believe it with no problem (and, yes, it's true information), but then he WON'T search for, read, or believe any of the media references to UM, and he ABSOLUTELY DISMISSES what people on the board have talked about for months (which is also true information).

If he wants to "ask questions", fine. If he then ***** on the answers given, he shouldn't be surprised by people suspecting him of being a troll.

I find it hard to believe that any alum doesn't understand, acknowledge, or support the academic merits of the University of Miami. I understand when non-alums don't see the big picture, but Miami SHOULD HAVE been accepted into the AAU during Shalala's term (if not Foote's term), and to crap on academics generally and UM academics specifically doesn't sound like a "misunderstanding" or "just asking questions".

That's my thoughts on the matter.

I find it hard to believe that any alum doesn't understand, acknowledge, or support the academic merits of the University of Miami. I understand when non-alums don't see the big picture, but Miami SHOULD HAVE been accepted into the AAU during Shalala's term (if not Foote's term), and to crap on academics generally and UM academics specifically doesn't sound like a "misunderstanding" or "just asking questions".
This is where he completely buried himself, IMO. It's very common for FSU and UF fans to minimize the prestige of a UM degree so they can feel good about "getting the same thing" for a significantly lower price.

Dude's a troll

The stuff about Iron Arrow shook me. I don't know how ANY UM alum does not know that. It's freaking ubiquitous (I love that word).

This was all I needed to see.

If you went to UM, you know what Iron Arrow is. When their initiation process is happening on campus, between the jackets (donned by UM IA students, alumni, and staff) and the constant drumming on the Rock, it is impossible to miss them. ****, they even wear the jackets onto the field at a home game EVERY SEASON.

More recently, student government and some Seminole tribe members came at them pretty hard. It was all over the news last year. Very, very, very hard to miss for any alumnus with a working pair of eyes.

Conclusion: anyone who claims to have gone to UM who doesn't know what Iron Arrow is must be either a liar, gone senile, or suffered a TBI.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OK, I usually start out as a troll hard-*** and then turn into a softie when the begging commences (I'm Catholic), but I also don't have access to the Moderator tools to see past history (both screen names and other posts).

As for the UM degree...I don't know, anyone can take a picture. I'm not saying yes or no, just pointing out that it's only one data point.

Where I do get annoyed is on the self-minimization of what he did. I think we've seen this a million times..."all I did was ask a question, man". Yeah, right. That's not all, because we've got thousands and thousands of posts of REAL question-asking that doesn't set off the Spidey-sense in a dozen different posters (some who don't even like one another).

I didn't accuse him of trolling on Post 1. As I said, I detected a pattern of low-key passive-aggressive Miami hostility. Now, to be honest, that COULD come from a UM alum, after all, tuition has gotten quite high lately. But then right after offering to "send a copy" of his vaunted UM degree, he started denigrating college degrees. Very strange.

I am fine with "asking questions". I am fine with "difference of opinion". But the references to the Big 10 being interested in UM are easily found if someone just, you know, Googles. Which was my point on his "selective belief". He can find one reference to UNC being desired by the Big 10 and believe it with no problem (and, yes, it's true information), but then he WON'T search for, read, or believe any of the media references to UM, and he ABSOLUTELY DISMISSES what people on the board have talked about for months (which is also true information).

If he wants to "ask questions", fine. If he then ***** on the answers given, he shouldn't be surprised by people suspecting him of being a troll.

That's my thoughts on the matter.
OG Cane,

Did you notice there were a lot of things I actually agreed with you in the conference realignment thread? Seriously, I didn’t mean any disrespect with the questions I asked. I apologize if it came off this way. My opinion regarding college degrees extends to all universities, not just Miami. You might not know this, but a lot of colleges attendees feel this way after they graduate college, their degrees not being worth the $60-$80k they spent on them. The job market is very tough for newcomers with a degree and lots of people are in debt, and they don’t feel like they’ve been giving the tools to succeed in a real world job.

I studied Kinesiology and spent a lot of time doing lab work at the Hecht, and I’d frequently see the head of S&C at the time (Andrew Swasey) working out the football team. My real world job? Logistics for a manufacturing company. And I had to take a lot of entry level jobs to get where I am today. I know some people, actually a lot of people, with degrees from prestigious universities and they struggle to find work 10 years later. This is kind of where those comments came from. I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

Impossible for a graduate of the University of Miami, no matter what degree and how he got it, to not know about iron arrow. He claims to be a graduate. Bull****. This doesn’t require any further thought or exposition on my part. My final verdict is in.
OCCC,

I am being 100% honest when saying I’m not familiar with this Honor Society. I recognize the jackets but didn’t know what they called themselves. I was a B student at UM and it was a very long time ago. I don’t really follow academics and what the University calls their Honor Societies, especially considering how I was never part of it. Not sure if it’s worth mentioning, but I googled the Iron Arrow Honor Society and noticed the school is working to disassociate itself from it. Article is a year old. Not sure what the status is. I saw a guy praising FSU and the word “Arrow” in his name and overlooked it, thinking he was an FSU fan.

Like I’ve said here and elsewhere, I am more than happy to share a photo of my degree. If that ain’t good enough, I’ll find a photo of Donna handing me the thing. Not sure if there’s another way I can prove this to you.

I’m in Ohio and know Iron Arrow is part of Miami
Is knowing about the Iron Arrow a requirement to graduate from UM? Second question, is knowing about the Iron Arrow a prerequisite for membership of this forum? It seems like you’re all very offended at the fact I didn’t know the name of this honor society and it’s your way of dismissing me as a graduate while accusing me of being a troll and banning me. Meanwhile, I’ve provided several other details about the University that only a student would know and offered to show everyone my degree, but you all continue to claim you know I’m not a graduate because I didn’t know the name of this Honor Society. You’re completely dismissing me and disregarding everything I say based on your belief of what a UM graduate should know.

Advertisement
Is knowing about the Iron Arrow a requirement to graduate from UM? Second question, is knowing about the Iron Arrow a prerequisite for membership of this forum? It seems like you’re all very offended at the fact I didn’t know the name of this honor society and it’s your way of dismissing me as a graduate while accusing me of being a troll and banning me. Meanwhile, I’ve provided several other details about the University that only a student would know and offered to show everyone my degree, but you all continue to claim you know I’m not a graduate because I didn’t know the name of this Honor Society. You’re completely dismissing me and disregarding everything I say based on your belief of what a UM graduate should know.

Yes, and your posts!

Yes, and your posts!
Which posts specifically? Outside of the conference realignment thread, I have contributed elsewhere. I have 100 something messages in other threads like the one about Nike, talent, our current roster, and expectations this year.

But I’m ready to share my degree with you guys when you are, if it matters like you said.

Advertisement
OG Cane,

Did you notice there were a lot of things I actually agreed with you in the conference realignment thread? Seriously, I didn’t mean any disrespect with the questions I asked. I apologize if it came off this way. My opinion regarding college degrees extends to all universities, not just Miami. You might not know this, but a lot of colleges attendees feel this way after they graduate college, their degrees not being worth the $60-$80k they spent on them. The job market is very tough for newcomers with a degree and lots of people are in debt, and they don’t feel like they’ve been giving the tools to succeed in a real world job.

I studied Kinesiology and spent a lot of time doing lab work at the Hecht, and I’d frequently see the head of S&C at the time (Andrew Swasey) working out the football team. My real world job? Logistics for a manufacturing company. And I had to take a lot of entry level jobs to get where I am today. I know some people, actually a lot of people, with degrees from prestigious universities and they struggle to find work 10 years later. This is kind of where those comments came from. I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

Look, I said it earlier. It is not whether you "agree" or "disagree". Regardless of your perception, I didn't take issue with your VIEWPOINT. You are entitled to your own opinions on things.

The issue is, was, and always will be...whether you respect what others bring in the way of information, or do you turn around and **** on the things that others say merely because you don't like it or agree with it.

The conference realignment thread is over 200 pages long. The thread has lasted for months. There have been many things posted, many news articles referenced, many insider things shared. If you don't want to invest the time to read all 200+ pages, fine. But...also...don't think that someone has a pre-set post to provide when a Johnny-come-lately like yourself demands "corroboration" of things that have been discussed for months.

I won't belabor this, but we have many MANY posters who have significant contacts with UM, as both alums and boosters. There are quite a few people who ARE knowledgeable about what is going on within UM and the Athletic Department. Many people try to HINT at what's happening, so as not to give too much away in terms of facts and information that were shared in confidence. I understand SOME of your confusion and frustration. TO YOU, the things that some people say are just "opinions". Except...they are NOT opinions. They might be unofficial "predictions", but they are not based on uninformed OPINIONS, and are instead based on what is being shared by people high up within UM.

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to understand this perspective, but the board SHOULD BE a place where people with...stronger connections...to UM insider-information can SHARE that information (for free) with people who also love UM sports and are not as blessed to have access to that insider information...

But if overly-sensitive "I'm just asking questions" posters like yourself continue to shade your "questions" with passive-aggressive insults and comments that falsely dismiss the information shared by better-connected posters, it degrades the level of conversation. It leads to situations where people DO NOT WANT TO SHARE INFORMATION because there are so many people such as yourself who will take a dump on valid information. As if the sportswriters somehow "know more" (and it has been proven over and over again that the sportswriters are NOT more knowledgeable).

I appreciate the fact that you have continued in a career path that was not a direct extension of your degree. But you can probably agree that you may not have even had those opportunities IF YOU ONLY HAD A HIGH SCHOOL DEGREE. Regardless of subject matter or major, a college degree is seen as a distinction of education and learning, as well as maturity and the ability to complete a goal. Nobody expects every single college major to be working in a job that is 100% related to the college major itself. But the college degree has value, even if it is overpriced.

We also don't have a ton of white-collar jobs that only require a high school degree. I didn't invent that system, I'm just observing it.

Feel free to criticize. But if every post is partially or wholly negative, it becomes corrosive. You want to know why people suspect you to be a troll? Because you are on a website that is INTENDED for Miami fans (short for fanatics) who should love the UM teams, not hate them. And you profess to be a UM alum, so it's not crazy to anticipate that you have some affinity and support for your school and some awareness of its major organizations and traditions (such as the highest honor attainable at UM).

This was all I needed to see.

If you went to UM, you know what Iron Arrow is. When their initiation process is happening on campus, between the jackets (donned by UM IA students, alumni, and staff) and the constant drumming on the Rock, it is impossible to miss them. ****, they even wear the jackets onto the field at a home game EVERY SEASON.

More recently, student government and some Seminole tribe members came at them pretty hard. It was all over the news last year. Very, very, very hard to miss for any alumnus with a working pair of eyes.

Conclusion: anyone who claims to have gone to UM who doesn't know what Iron Arrow is must be either a liar, gone senile, or suffered a TBI.
I am going senile trying to figure out a way to prove to you that I am a graduate. I’ve made offers but no one seems to be interested.
Look, I said it earlier. It is not whether you "agree" or "disagree". Regardless of your perception, I didn't take issue with your VIEWPOINT. You are entitled to your own opinions on things.

The issue is, was, and always will be...whether you respect what others bring in the way of information, or do you turn around and **** on the things that others say merely because you don't like it or agree with it.

The conference realignment thread is over 200 pages long. The thread has lasted for months. There have been many things posted, many news articles referenced, many insider things shared. If you don't want to invest the time to read all 200+ pages, fine. But...also...don't think that someone has a pre-set post to provide when a Johnny-come-lately like yourself demands "corroboration" of things that have been discussed for months.

I won't belabor this, but we have many MANY posters who have significant contacts with UM, as both alums and boosters. There are quite a few people who ARE knowledgeable about what is going on within UM and the Athletic Department. Many people try to HINT at what's happening, so as not to give too much away in terms of facts and information that were shared in confidence. I understand SOME of your confusion and frustration. TO YOU, the things that some people say are just "opinions". Except...they are NOT opinions. They might be unofficial "predictions", but they are not based on uninformed OPINIONS, and are instead based on what is being shared by people high up within UM.

Maybe you haven't been around long enough to understand this perspective, but the board SHOULD BE a place where people with...stronger connections...to UM insider-information can SHARE that information (for free) with people who also love UM sports and are not as blessed to have access to that insider information...

But if overly-sensitive "I'm just asking questions" posters like yourself continue to shade your "questions" with passive-aggressive insults and comments that falsely dismiss the information shared by better-connected posters, it degrades the level of conversation. It leads to situations where people DO NOT WANT TO SHARE INFORMATION because there are so many people such as yourself who will take a dump on valid information. As if the sportswriters somehow "know more" (and it has been proven over and over again that the sportswriters are NOT more knowledgeable).

I appreciate the fact that you have continued in a career path that was not a direct extension of your degree. But you can probably agree that you may not have even had those opportunities IF YOU ONLY HAD A HIGH SCHOOL DEGREE. Regardless of subject matter or major, a college degree is seen as a distinction of education and learning, as well as maturity and the ability to complete a goal. Nobody expects every single college major to be working in a job that is 100% related to the college major itself. But the college degree has value, even if it is overpriced.

We also don't have a ton of white-collar jobs that only require a high school degree. I didn't invent that system, I'm just observing it.

Feel free to criticize. But if every post is partially or wholly negative, it becomes corrosive. You want to know why people suspect you to be a troll? Because you are on a website that is INTENDED for Miami fans (short for fanatics) who should love the UM teams, not hate them. And you profess to be a UM alum, so it's not crazy to anticipate that you have some affinity and support for your school and some awareness of its major organizations and traditions (such as the highest honor attainable at UM).
I apologize once again. I did not mean for my questions to come off that way and I do understand what you’re saying, but please believe me when I say I didn’t mean for those questions to seem dismissive or insulting. I don’t know all the personalities here and like you and others have mentioned, I’ve only had an account for 28 days. You all seem to know each other very well. I’m still getting a feel for what’s considered out of bounds and what is not.

I’ve said positive things about Mario. I’ve praised him and Rad for making conference realignment a top issue, as well as what they’ve done to upgrade facilities. I know I posted the USC thread and it came off as a Mario bashing piece. I didn’t mean for it to sound so harsh. Again, I’m new here so I wasn’t sure how others felt. I admit, I could have probably looked around a bit more to get a general feel for everyone’s attitude. That’s on me.

And you’re right, I wouldn’t be where I’m at without the degree. I just know a lot of others who aren’t so fortunate. I have a daughter and I often worry about what her future holds in terms of education costs and the job market she’ll have to enter.

Let's make this simple.

The Iron Arrow Mound is RIGHT NEXT TO the UM Bookstore and the Student Union. You can literally see the Iron Arrow Mound from inside the Bookstore. The wall with the Iron Arrow plaque is about 5 feet tall. It's right next to the gigantic U sculpture where everyone who goes to UM poses for a picture.

Are you saying you never bought books from UM before? Never taken a picture at the big U before? Never walked through the very center of campus before?

Surely you understand the difference between, say, sending us a picture of a degree (which can be found in Google images) and ACTUALLY KNOWING SOMETHING VERY SPECIFIC about your so-called alma mater? Right?

I'm not sure that you've provided any other details about UM that only a student would know. On the other hand, I can tell you that I lived in Eaton 206 for 3 years, and that my window was directly above the side entrance/exit that looks over at the Pool and the Student Union. And if you walked inside Eaton, I guarantee you that you could verify that in 60 seconds, and THAT is a fact that you wouldn't know unless you were actually inside the building. ****, I can also tell you that my phone number for three years was 305-284-2599. Sadly, that phone number has been reassigned to the Law School now that Eaton is unoccupied.

So...I don't know...if you've got something THAT specific, you might try again. But throwing out Andreu Swasey's name is not some proof. In fact, because you spelled his name wrong, it ALSO makes me question whether you actually knew the man.

Last edited:
I am going senile trying to figure out a way to prove to you that I am a graduate. I’ve made offers but no one seems to be interested.

I apologize once again. I did not mean for my questions to come off that way and I do understand what you’re saying, but please believe me when I say I didn’t mean for those questions to seem dismissive or insulting. I don’t know all the personalities here and like you and others have mentioned, I’ve only had an account for 28 days. You all seem to know each other very well. I’m still getting a feel for what’s considered out of bounds and what is not.

I’ve said positive things about Mario. I’ve praised him and Rad for making conference realignment a top issue, as well as what they’ve done to upgrade facilities. I know I posted the USC thread and it came off as a Mario bashing piece. I didn’t mean for it to sound so harsh. Again, I’m new here so I wasn’t sure how others felt. I admit, I could have probably looked around a bit more to get a general feel for everyone’s attitude. That’s on me.

And you’re right, I wouldn’t be where I’m at without the degree. I just know a lot of others who aren’t so fortunate. I have a daughter and I often worry about what her future holds in terms of education costs and the job market she’ll have to enter.

It's fine, I've said just about all I intend to say. If the Mods want to give you another chance, that's up to them.

Just realize, because this is a free-of-charge Board, we get more than our fair share of imposters and frauds and trolls. Our primary defense is vigilance.

It should be the overall goal of the Board and the Mods to have a DECENT experience on CanesInsight, where people who do love UM and/or the UM sports teams can talk and debate and share information without feeling overhelmed by negativity because they share a positive story or an optimistic outlook about our program's future.

Speaking for myself only, I'm willing to give a lot of space to someone criticizing the performance of the sports teams, or players, or coaches. I have a shorter leash when it comes to criticism of UM's academics, which is an all-too-common target for people who are NOT UM alums or supporters.

That is all.

Advertisement
Back