Just got back from the game

"Erek Flowers made Seantrel expendable. We didn't miss the big funeral director at all."

I couldn't disagree more. Flowers played very well especially considering it was his first collegiate game. However, Bunche was not very good. If he's our best option at LT we are in for a l-o-n-g year. Seantrel is significantly better even with a bad back. He might not start this week given his excused absence from the team; but, he will before the season ends. Bank on it.
SEANTREL CANNOT PLAY ON THE LEFT SIDE

How many more times does this need to be posted. The guy has problems setting and kick stepping to that side.PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS.

Advertisement
Agree and disagree on the D. Man with blitzing may be the worst idea I've heard because when some guy loses his assignment he wont have a safety to bail him out. A 20 yard gain becomes 50. I agree wholeheartedly on our tendency to be befuddled for awhile before figuring out what we should do. We'll see about ksu but you'd think they could be proactive about anticipating where we will fail and dumping that stuff now. Based solely on game 1 we know where we'll struggle and how ksu might exploit that.

Misdirection, play-action, delays, etc etc. They all destroy D'Onofrio's defense because he drills it in his players to SWARM to the football at all costs.
Well usually that cost is 25+ yard gains because we bit on something. We're overly aggressive at the wrong times and passive at the wrong times (3rd and long)

TEs & RBs kill us. KState has both(not to mention a veteran QB)
WOW im speechless right now. Literally every defensive coach from PopWarner to NFL preaches gang tackling/swarming to the football. This is the most idiotic thing ive ever read on here.I am dissapoint

When you get killed on counters/PA/misdirection is from over pursuing upfield and not staying home and playing your assignment.

Well late last night anyway. Had seats right behind the UM bench. A few observations.

Tracy Howard was getting his butt chewed out after the first couple of series. I liked the fact that he isn't being pampered. However I didn't like him going back at the coaches the way he did. Sometimes when high profile recruits get to the college level, they will be yelled at and made accountable for the first times in their playing careers. I'll give him a pass on first game nerves, but if wants to be the man, he should start acting like one.

The defensive staff as a whole, seemed to be off schedule. Too many guys not sure if they were going in or coming out. The sidelines were a chinese fire drill and that is disturbing. This is year 2 of these coaches. Game day should be a little more organized.

I kept looking for sideline leaders to get in the faces of the other guys. Morris did on one occasion. I saw Boitts trying to encourage kids. Perryman, while being a leader on the field wasn't doing too much in the way of motivating while on the sidelines.

Fisch is a bit aloof IMO. NOt Shannonesque hermit introvert aloof, but not a firebrand either. I was looking for more emotion from him. Maybe that's his style and I'mnot knocking it,only commenting on it.

Other observations. Sorry if already mentioned:

For once I'd like to see our defense set the tone instead of looking lost for a half. Coach D is beginning to worry me in that there are too many games where he is playing catch up to the other team. It's as if he never even watched game film and he's winging it until he sees what they are trying to do. One or two games is forgivable. But it's become the norm for him.

Also, we might as well play man and send a few blitzers. Since we can't cover and have no pass rush, I'd rather go down with some effort. The zone on almost every play is allowing the opposing team to run free. It's almost comical how basic and predictable this D was and is. Once again we made an average QB look like a Heisman candidate.

Erek Flowers made Seantrel expendable. We didn't miss the big funeral director at all.

Malcolm Lewis looks the real deal.

Our run blocking as a whole wasn't too good. What Duke did was mostly him. I know the numbers may look good, but the truth is we didn't dominate. Once again that will be a concern down the road against better D's.

I didn't like the passing attack from a schematic standpoint. I know BC was playing to take away our deep pass,but there has to be something else besides the slip screen. Where was the TE? What about isolating the RB on wheel route? I'm, surprised BC didn't jump that outlet pass more often.

I stand by my preseason statement that we will have score 40+ in most games to stand a chance of winning.

Special teams has arrived as a strength once again. Glad to see that. It's been since Hester that we had a true threat like Duke.

I love Golden,but I gotta be honest, I felt a little unsure about him this weekend.

Great observations, I will have to agree even on TV the sideline was a little disturbing, my take is we dont have 11-14 guys we are counting on to play steady ready Defense..we have 11-25 guys standing around waiting for orders to run in, change schemes etc....this will settle down as time goes on....

I am glad fisch is not Brian Kelly or has a fake persona about him,,,he is what he is. I have seen him get jacked up so I see more worry for now than excited for Jedd... he will be fine...

after the 14-0 start we want on 41-16 run ( not cnt the 2)......things tightened up adjustments were made, when coach d finds his 15 guys that he can count on the sideline will settle way down..we also need leaders to help with this issue.......

again great stuff...still a very long season ahead

Agree and disagree on the D. Man with blitzing may be the worst idea I've heard because when some guy loses his assignment he wont have a safety to bail him out. A 20 yard gain becomes 50. I agree wholeheartedly on our tendency to be befuddled for awhile before figuring out what we should do. We'll see about ksu but you'd think they could be proactive about anticipating where we will fail and dumping that stuff now. Based solely on game 1 we know where we'll struggle and how ksu might exploit that.

Misdirection, play-action, delays, etc etc. They all destroy D'Onofrio's defense because he drills it in his players to SWARM to the football at all costs.
Well usually that cost is 25+ yard gains because we bit on something. We're overly aggressive at the wrong times and passive at the wrong times (3rd and long)

WOW im speechless right now. Literally every defensive coach from PopWarner to NFL preaches gang tackling/swarming to the football. This is the most idiotic thing ive ever read on here.I am dissapoint

When you get killed on counters/PA/misdirection is from over pursuing upfield and not staying home and playing your assignment.

Too much playstation here.....

LOL. Wow at this whole explanation. Not to mention you want us to blitz and play man on every play.

Advertisement
"Erek Flowers made Seantrel expendable. We didn't miss the big funeral director at all."

I couldn't disagree more. Flowers played very well especially considering it was his first collegiate game. However, Bunche was not very good. If he's our best option at LT we are in for a l-o-n-g year. Seantrel is significantly better even with a bad back. He might not start this week given his excused absence from the team; but, he will before the season ends. Bank on it.

How many more times does this need to be posted. The guy has problems setting and kick stepping to that side.PLEASE STOP SAYING THIS.

WHERE DID I SAY HE WOULD START AT LEFT TACKLE?

I said he was better than Bunche. That's because he is BETTER THAN BUNCHE!!!. Brush up on your reading comprehension skills before attacking, sport.

You think I don't understand the concept of overpursuing vs swarming to a football?
My point was our players look to be thinking "swarm" before figuring out where the football is or playing their assignment. That's why the backside was biting so hard on PA.

D'Onofrio was so concerned about the run this game (which I can understand from last year). But after the first quarter and a half wasn't it evident what BC was looking to do?

No adjustment whatsoever. We got lucky on Eddie's fumble and lucky to stuff them at 1 yardline on last drive.

Up 18 and the defense STILL couldn't close out the game.

Last edited:

Too much playstation here.....
Point out to me what was wrong in my post?

Armchair QBs gonna Armchair

Advertisement

I said he was better than Bunche. That's because he is BETTER THAN BUNCHE!!!. Brush up on your reading comprehension skills before attacking, sport.
So your comparing him to Bunche saying hes our best option, but you werent implying that he should play on the left side....????

Do I got that right or no?

Last edited:

So your comparing him to Bunche saying hes our best option, but you werent implying that he should play on the left side....????

Do I got that right or no?

Don't waste your time Gables. He's the most insecure poster on here.
Dude gets defensive about every subject or post.

God forbid we talk football in a football chatroom.

Advertisement
Im asking honest questions and giving you honest answers. Im sorry if youve never played football in your life and dont know what your talking about other than what Mike Tirico and Lee Corso say, thats on you not me.

So its "trolling" if I explain to you the errors in your posts regarding defensive scheme/execution?

Last edited:
Im asking honest questions and giving you honest answers. Im sorry if youve never played football in your life and dont know what your talking about other than what Mike Tirico and Lee Corso say, thats on you not me.

So its "trolling" if I explain to you the errors in your posts regarding defensive scheme/execution?

I know plenty of people who played ball growing up and I can run circles around their football IQ.
Get over it - I didn't play/coach football... doesn't mean I can't point out the obvious.

So far you've corrected nothing in regards to what I've posted other than semantics and an obvious misunderstanding by you (swarming to no ball = overpursuing)

And as far as the online Phoenix degree comment goes... maybe you need to look into that with such blatant grammar errors...
If there swarming to ball-less RBs like you say, it goes back to what I said

That's Pop Warner **** bro.

Advertisement
You know you got them on the ropes when they start to point out mistakes in grammer

Lets face it, your upset because I pick apart your posts with logical answers and you have nothing in turn for a rebuttle so you resort to grammer.

'Tis a sad day for the Deadest Poet I know

You know you got them on the ropes when they start to point out mistakes in grammer

Lets face it, your upset because I pick apart your posts with logical answers and you have nothing in turn for a rebuttle so you resort to grammer.

Now you're just fckin with me, right?

((((YAWN))))

Good thing were on the National Spelling Bee messageboard or I might get offended

OH wait....

Now you're just fckin with me, right?

Dont worry bout Venice. He spends most of his hours spamming inboxes of posters that get under his skin. I don't even know if he has a life outside the board.

Carry on.

Advertisement
Back