Just an Observation

CaneinBroward

Recruit
The new head coach will have to be a guy with a huge amount of self-confidence. There will be no honeymoon period. He'll be expected to win at least 10 games, win the Coastal, and compete for the ACC title in his first year. It could perhaps have the highest expectations right off the bat since the JJ and Erickson hires. At least those teams were coming off national championships. This one will be lucky to get to 7 wins.

Yes, there is plenty of $$ to make dealing with high expectations more palatable. It will just be interesting to see what this board will look like a year from now if the Canes don't win 10 games and are paying a coach over $5 million a year.

Advertisement
The new coach will have time. There will always be a fraction of the fan base calling for a coaches head after the first L but let’s not act like this team is void of talent. We have a young, explosive offense and quite a few blue chippers to build around on D. New coach will go portal heavy ala Mel Tucker. Any competent coach is winning here.

Advertisement
Frankly a coach worth his weight can win at Miami. Even a mediocre performance and we win against FSU, NC, and Virginia. It was a close one against Mich St until the 4th and we played like crap the whole game. Other than Bama and Mich St every team on our schedule was very winnable with a decent defense and offense. I cannot begin to tell you how bad we suck on defense and special teams. Offensively we aren’t very good either at times but decent in others- very Jekyll and Hyde.

Advertisement
The new coach will have time. There will always be a fraction of the fan base calling for a coaches head after the first L but let’s not act like this team is void of talent. We have a young, explosive offense and quite a few blue chippers to build around on D. New coach will go portal heavy ala Mel Tucker. Any competent coach is winning here.
Agreed

Advertisement
The new head coach will have to be a guy with a huge amount of self-confidence. There will be no honeymoon period. He'll be expected to win at least 10 games, win the Coastal, and compete for the ACC title in his first year. It could perhaps have the highest expectations right off the bat since the JJ and Erickson hires. At least those teams were coming off national championships. This one will be lucky to get to 7 wins.

Yes, there is plenty of $$ to make dealing with high expectations more palatable. It will just be interesting to see what this board will look like a year from now if the Canes don't win 10 games and are paying a coach over $5 million a year.
That is what I have been saying. Even in a perfect world, there are still going to be number issues at linebacker and particularly cornerback. The likelyhood is that the defense at best will be marginally better in 2022, with the upside of being significantly better in 2023 depending on who Miami can obtain in the portal.

But 2022 is going to be a lot like 2012....or this year. Miami will be in shootouts each week.

What?!
Only crazy people will expect this. Miami is not on the cusp of being dominant. Maybe by year 3 or 4
You are trolling right? You have read this board over the years correct? The majority of this board feels 10 wins and a Coastal title was the baseline for Manny this year. Why do you think it would be less for whoever the new coach will be? One could argue next year's team should even be better with all of the experience the young guys are getting this year and the emergence of TVD.

Also, 10 wins in the ACC would not make Miami dominant. I think most people will expect a loss to Texas A&M next year. Personally, as long as the new guy wins at least 8 games and the team improves throughout the season, I would be happy. The new guy will need to instill discipline in this group and install new offenses and defenses, all of which will take time. Similar to the way Richt had the team playing in 2016.

I don't want a coach that doesn't think they can come in here and dominate the ACC coastal
I think whoever they hire will have that mindset. I'm just pointing out that the expectations from a majority of fans will be for 10 wins and Coastal title in season 1.

Advertisement
New coach needs to bring some legit media members with him too. We need atleast 5 people who know how to ask questions during interviews

I think whoever they hire will have that mindset. I'm just pointing out that the expectations from a majority of fans will be for 10 wins and Coastal title in season 1.
Yeah just like it should be. I think the coach will have that realistic expectation too so if it doesn't happen he'll be as disappointed as we are.

You are trolling right? You have read this board over the years correct? The majority of this board feels 10 wins and a Coastal title was the baseline for Manny this year. Why do you think it would be less for whoever the new coach will be? One could argue next year's team should even be better with all of the experience the young guys are getting this year and the emergence of TVD.

Also, 10 wins in the ACC would not make Miami dominant. I think most people will expect a loss to Texas A&M next year. Personally, as long as the new guy wins at least 8 games and the team improves throughout the season, I would be happy. The new guy will need to instill discipline in this group and install new offenses and defenses, all of which will take time. Similar to the way Richt had the team playing in 2016.
Just because people on here say 2 loss seasons are unacceptable that doesn't mean it's reality. This board is a fraction of the fan base, a small one at that. Some people thought this team had a chance against Bama, reflect on that for a second, people saw this team over the last few years, saw how we performed against good teams in 2020 (Clemson and UNC) and thought we could beat Bama.

This is a bad/avg team, that's the reality. Next year team will be even worse if some upperclassmen like Nesta, Hunte and Rique leave.
People keep hyping this team up in the offseason, but over the years when we take the field we're at the same level of the other teams around the coastal. Even our only 10 win season in years had plenty of one posession games against bad teams.

You moved the goal post a little, from expectations of winning 10 games and competing in the ACC to 8 wins. which I think is the ceiling for this team next year. Miami is not ready to compete for the ACC, maybe we can compete in a year that Clemson can barely throw a forward pass and we get luck in one posession games, but this wouldn't make us good, just lucky.

We don't have talented OL, DL, LB or CB rooms. We pretty much only have a QB and 2 RBs and some promising players on the WR and Safety room. If your expectation is that Miami is ready to win 10 games a year starting next season that's on you, because Miami hasn't shown it can

Just because people on here say 2 loss seasons are unacceptable that doesn't mean it's reality. This board is a fraction of the fan base, a small one at that. Some people thought this team had a chance against Bama, reflect on that for a second, people saw this team over the last few years, saw how we performed against good teams in 2020 (Clemson and UNC) and thought we could beat Bama.

This is a bad/avg team, that's the reality. Next year team will be even worse if some upperclassmen like Nesta, Hunte and Rique leave.
People keep hyping this team up in the offseason, but over the years when we take the field we're at the same level of the other teams around the coastal. Even our only 10 win season in years had plenty of one posession games against bad teams.

You moved the goal post a little, from expectations of winning 10 games and competing in the ACC to 8 wins. which I think is the ceiling for this team next year. Miami is not ready to compete for the ACC, maybe we can compete in a year that Clemson can barely throw a forward pass and we get luck in one posession games, but this wouldn't make us good, just lucky.

We don't have talented OL, DL, LB or CB rooms. We pretty much only have a QB and 2 RBs and some promising players on the WR and Safety room. If your expectation is that Miami is ready to win 10 games a year starting next season that's on you, because Miami hasn't shown it can
Just to correct you a bit, I didn't move the goal posts at all. I wasn't expecting them to win 10 games in my initial post. I was pointing out that most on this board are looking at a minimum level of 10 wins as a successful season (I should have been clearer in my initial post).

Also, this is a bad/avg team as you state, however, I think that has more to do with not playing up to expectations due to bad coaching and lack of discipline. Just going off of recruiting rankings and how well they have done in the transfer portal, this should be a top 25 team.

Which brings me to a question, if you think talent-wise they are a bad/avg team, do you think Manny should be brought back as he is basically performing as well as can be expected?

Advertisement
Back