Julio Frenk Interview

FWIW, between undergrads, MBA's and JD's, we probably see over 750 resumes a year, for new hires, if not more.

We recruit on about 7 or 8 different campuses around the USA directly, (depending upon the year), and the rest of the resumes are either solicited from a list of various on campus career centers at schools we like, or sent in unsolicited.

We wouldn't bother to even interview anyone with a degree from the SEC, with the exception of Vanderbilt which is a very good school.

Just don't have any regard for the academics of the SEC.
To each his own. That’s a pretty dumb attitude, imo. There are a lot of terrific students coming from SEC schools.

Advertisement
Any time I see people talking about hiring practices on this forum here...I can't help but think all y'all do is hire rich white kids. Some high key racists among us. Not even being subtle about it.

No... I think you’re the one who lacks understanding.

President’s role is to protect the University’s brand. Our University-wide brand is our football logo, which was recommended by a professional consulting agency and adopted under Shalala due global recognition and representation of excellence the []__[] holds (I think we were trailblazers in this regard as well). If it were Harvard or Yale, or pre-adoption of the football logo as brand ambassador you’d have a valid point. But once you get behind the excellence of your football program and logo, you have to protect it.

I don't know how to even respond to this level of crazy.

Oh wait, yes I do.

I'll let this be your guide...

welcome.miami.edu

come to me my babies...and let me ease your pain.

LOL at kids who go to any football school caring about academics. Yeah big concern at Bama, Clemson, and OSU.

I got scholarships to attend UM so the money was less of an issue but the only reason I applied was growing up watching canes football. 5 other schools were just as good and I turned down better academic school because I like miam as a place to be and the school.

I understand sports attendance has been down, but there are still a lot of kids that want that part of college and you saying otherwise is between disingenuous and an entirely made up statement. Schools are still getting 70,000 plus routinely, if not more, and most of the numbers skewing stats downward are games against FCS schools. You are literally making up this entire argument. When your school rankings and reputation is dropping, you need to expand your applicant pool and give more reasons to attend a school, not less. Miami is simply not that elite of a school where it can say just come here and pay $60k a year for academics alone.

Aside from that, it is free marketing when the school is good at football and all over ESPN. There is a reason that the school changed its official logo from the University of Miami to the U when all of our guys were taking over the NFL.

Kids can pay less, get the same job prospects, and have that full experience. That is all I am saying. You also talk about crippling debt - paying $60k a year for Miami is a terrible way to avoid that for most and the $300 athletics fee is not moving the needle on that.

There is in many cases a direct correlation between football success and academic ranking. This guy is very underwhelming.
Maybe the dumbest thing I’ve ever read. I guess the Ivy League schools are really missing out...

Advertisement
Incorrect. I had my choice of schools, some of which were very quality schools with fairly poor football teams; in some cases no football team. I chose and attended Miami in part because I wanted a lifelong hobby of attending and rooting for a winning P5 football school. It mattered.

It mattered for you, and while I'm happy it worked out, you are an outlier in the Miami student body. How do I know? Even when times are good, Miami students do not consistently show up to the arena or stadium. Unless it's a major social event, with huge national implications, students don't give a **** about showing up. I saw it throughout undergrad, grad school and finally law school.

The typical Miami student most likely wouldn't say "I came here because of sports" if you asked them to name the top five reasons why they chose the institution. There are a small group of kids that really give a **** about what goes on in the Hecht, I was one of them and even I would have admitted that there were more pressing considerations that played a role in getting me to CG.

Advertisement
Back