Julian Armella Class of 2022

Advertisement
The last time we won a title, our Outland Trophy winning LT completely dominated and destroyed a stud DE who is likely on his way to the the NFL Hall of Fame (Freeney). As in - kept him entirely out of all plays. No sacks, no tackles, no nada.

Oh, our RT was an all american that year also. And our center won the rimmington the next season.

Line play matters a lot. We’ve recruited for ages as if it’s an afterthought.

Armella looks like a must get for us.

Advertisement
The last time we won a title, our Outland Trophy winning LT completely dominated and destroyed a stud DE who is likely on his way to the the NFL Hall of Fame (Freeney). As in - kept him entirely out of all plays. No sacks, no tackles, no nada.

Oh, our RT was an all american that year also. And our center won the rimmington the next season.

Line play matters a lot. We’ve recruited for ages as if it’s an afterthought.

Armella looks like a must get for us.

Preach!
I have been trying to tell people on here for years that very thing. #ThickThighsMakeBigLives. And #BigLivesMakeLinePlayBetter.
a5d972936d909a55baf740f8e390a4fe.jpg

Go Canes

Last edited:
Gonna say the same **** thing I said this morning when I posted the Wiltfong article. THIS is how you win. THIS is how Clemson and Bama and Ohio State win. Yes, they have good coaches. But staffs of the elites are somewhat revolving doors...if/when you win, other staffs want your coaches. But what is the constant? Really ******* good football players. This kid is one, he's in our backyard. Have to have him.

Bama just won a national championship with an entire defensive backfield of kids from SFL. Yes, I know they pay, and they win, blah blah. We all understand the workings of what's happening. But you don't win without good players, you don't get good players without winning...somehow that cycle has to break or you just keep doing what you're doing. Get this kid. Period.

New Wiltfong article today. Look, the bottom line is, we can talk Manny and Baker and scheme and who calls the plays and blah blah blah. Yes, it’s important, but recruiting is the absolute lifeblood of a program. So of course this is on the coaches as well, but there needs to be about 90% less posts on who calls plays and 90% more posts about this. This kid is how you win. You wanna compete with Clemson and Bama, etc? Sign this kid and those like him. In college football, there’s a reason why the same teams win every year, and it’s not because of who coaches their outside linebackers. This is how you win. Get this kid at all costs.

My coach in college, albeit hockey is much less about coaching than football, was famous for saying, "you always want to recruit well enough that it doesn't have to come down to coaching." He was always half-joking when he'd say it but I think it's relevant to what you're saying, especially with the comment on OLB coaching LOL.

My coach in college, albeit hockey is much less about coaching than football, was famous for saying, "you always want to recruit well enough that it doesn't have to come down to coaching." He was always half-joking when he'd say it but I think it's relevant to what you're saying, especially with the comment on OLB coaching LOL.

Absolutely. Sure, we'd all love to have some unreal coach who gives us a massive schematic advantage, but the bottom line is the team with the better players almost always wins. It's really not difficult. David Hale had a great thread yesterday....

The playoff has been around for 7 years now. Obviously in those 7 years, 28 teams have made it to the playoff.

Of those 28, ALL BUT TWO OF THEM had an average 4 year recruiting average inside the Top 20. The two that didn't, 2016 Washington and 2015 Michigan State, got absolutely smoked off the field in the semifinals. No team that has made the playoff has ever signed a single class within the 4 years of making the playoff lower than 38th. This isn't by accident. These aren't coincidences. You have to recruit and sign good players to win. Period. NOW, before I get any heroes chirping "BuT SAbAn vS MaNNy…", nobody is saying this is the ONLY thing. You have to coach kids. But this is undeniable data. You MIGHT be able to win without elite coaching, but you absolutely CANNOT win without elite talent.

Armella is an elite talent. Sign him. Sign several others like him. And watch how magically our coaches improve.

By the way, Miami's 2021 4 year average class ranking is 15.5. So, inside the Top 20. Wish it was closer to the Top 10, but we're starting to stack some talent. Time to start winning with it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Absolutely. Sure, we'd all love to have some unreal coach who gives us a massive schematic advantage, but the bottom line is the team with the better players almost always wins. It's really not difficult. David Hale had a great thread yesterday....

The playoff has been around for 7 years now. Obviously in those 7 years, 28 teams have made it to the playoff.

Of those 28, ALL BUT TWO OF THEM had an average 4 year recruiting average inside the Top 20. The two that didn't, 2016 Washington and 2015 Michigan State, got absolutely smoked off the field in the semifinals. No team that has made the playoff has ever signed a single class within the 4 years of making the playoff lower than 38th. This isn't by accident. These aren't coincidences. You have to recruit and sign good players to win. Period. NOW, before I get any heroes chirping "BuT SAbAn vS MaNNy…", nobody is saying this is the ONLY thing. You have to coach kids. But this is undeniable data. You MIGHT be able to win without elite coaching, but you absolutely CANNOT win without elite talent.

Armella is an elite talent. Sign him. Sign several others like him. And watch how magically our coaches improve.

By the way, Miami's 2021 4 year average class ranking is 15.5. So, inside the Top 20. Wish it was closer to the Top 10, but we're starting to stack some talent. Time to start winning with it.
Agreed. We hear a lot about "development" on here and that likely has truth. But its easier to develop the James Williams and the Leonard Taylor's than 3 star counterparts.

Advertisement
Preach!
I have been trying to tell people on here for years that very thing. #ThickThighsMakeBigLives. And #BigLivesMakeLinePlayBetter.
a5d972936d909a55baf740f8e390a4fe.jpg

Go Canes
She'd doing that rubber band on a watermelon challenge

Very similar playing style.
I know Jon was your kid (coached him that is) and you got him and Miami connected.

We could be so lucky to land a kid that plays like him out of our backyard. IIRC Jon played every position on our OL at some point in time during his career and he was above average to almost really good everywhere on the OL. IMO his best work was as a frosh at RT

Advertisement
Back