Official JUCO WR Offer - Colbie Young: COMMITS!

Not going to be received well but this is where a guy like Wiggins would help with depth.

Wasn't a hands catcher at all but significantly better than a Colbie Young from the friggin University of New York or wherever he plays.

Wigs leaving had to be an attitude thing because he could've helped our WR depth at the very least and added experience.
El oh el.

Advertisement
He has to run 2-3 TEs sets. Everything from practice says that our WRs can’t catch anything even with stick em on their gloves. It’s not an option, it’s survival.

To steal LCEs line, I’ve said it 100 times, Gattis will call plays that highlight the best/fav players.

In order:

1. TVD
2. TEs
3. RBs
4. Slots
5. The rest
He was gonna do this either way. His offenses have been about the TEs RBs and Slots, expecting his entire philosophy to change when he had a better WR group than we have at Michigan and Penn State is just delusional talk. I think the offense will be good enough to win games and thats all that matters right now

He was gonna do this either way. His offenses have been about the TEs RBs and Slots, expecting his entire philosophy to change when he had a better WR group than we have at Michigan and Penn State is just delusional talk. I think the offense will be good enough to win games and thats all that matters right now
He's like any OC. If he trusts his QB the offense will reflect it. Great QB then all positions will produce. Not great QB checkdown positions will be augmented.

I think the limiting factor in Michigan’s passing game was quarterback. He was not very good throwing downfield.

Two of their top three and three of their top five receivers were wideouts, including their top receiver.

They did an incredible job spreading the ball around AND had TWO 1000 yard rushers (952 is close enough).

We can’t make any assumptions except there probably won’t be one guy getting 80 catches. Everything else depends on how the wide outs develop.

Advertisement
I think the limiting factor in Michigan’s passing game was quarterback. He was not very good throwing downfield.

Two of their top three and three of their top five receivers were wideouts, including their top receiver.

They did an incredible job spreading the ball around AND had TWO 1000 yard rushers (952 is close enough).

We can’t make any assumptions except there probably won’t be one guy getting 80 catches. Everything else depends on how the wide outs develop.
Limiting factor was some of his stuff didn’t fit there personnel at wr more than the qb situation. They had big wrs when he got there then they recruited more agility and speed like u see us trying to do now. I think the offense will be good but I think it’ll take time

Negative recruiting from other staffs about Mario's preference to go run first is my best guess
I think you hit it right on the head. Gattis was a great hire but this was one of my concerns. Kids would look at the Michigan offense from 2021 and assume that Gattis would run the same thing here. Add Mpario's tendency to be run first and you have all the necessary ingredients for an orgy of negative recruiting convincing kids. that Miami will be a ground and pound offense.

Obviously the ability to run the ball is crucial and our running game has been well below par and needs significant improvement. That said this is Miami and Miami should always sign very good to elite WR classes. In this era of college football you must have a formidable passing game to compete for titles.

IMO Gattis is already under a fair amount of pressure for two main reasons. First he need to recruit an excellent WR class. 2nd he must come up with a scheme to fit his personnel while at the same time showing WR recruits that he runs an offense that they can thrive in and enjoy playing in. The kicker is that it will be hard to do this unless the WRs currently on the team develop and step up during the off season. I'm looking at you Keyshawn Smith, you Jacolby George and you Romello Brinson. That is also coach Gattis's job. Josh Gattis has his work cut out for him. If Gattis is successful in all these areas he will have earned every single penny of his salary. I think he is up to the challenge.

Last edited:
I think you hit it right on the head. Gattis was a great hire but this was one of my concerns. Kids would look at the Michigan offense from 2021 and assume that Gattis would run the same thing here. Add Mario's tendency to be run first and you have all the necessary ingredients for an orgy of negative recruiting convincing kids. that Miami will be a ground and pound offense.

Obviously the ability to run the ball is crucial and our running game has been well below par and needs significant improvement. That said this is Miami and Miami should always sign very good to elite WR classes. In this era of college football you must have a formidable passing game to compete for titles.

IMO Gattis is already under a fair amount of pressure for two main reasons.
Michigan also didn’t have a quarterback worth a ****…

Advertisement
No knock on the kid but this tells me they don’t like the Ladson kid…. Grabbing a juco kid this late in the game solidifies it.

Good receipts in that Ladson thread to whoever kept hyping up that former “5Star talent”
Ladson has actually made plays in college though. Maybe his body is made of glass? Is he a problem? Attitude? Why take him if he’s an issue. There’s got to be someone on this board that knows how from high school.

college gameday sport GIF

likely to visit this Friday for OV

The offense will be productive, and better than last year's version, but the line still won't be great. Not sure why our fanbase talks about everything but our line. I do believe we can scheme around it to a degree, but that will only go so far against the better defenses.

Advertisement
Shodell reported that he is visiting this Thursday and if all goes well will commit by the weekend. UM needs big bodies that have a history of catching the ball. Has reclassified for 2022. Good news.
It’s helping us that Pitt can’t take all of his credits for some reason. Obviously we can, that’s why he’s visiting, but that is what’s finicky about JUCO.

Shodell reported that he is visiting this Thursday and if all goes well will commit by the weekend. UM needs big bodies that have a history of catching the ball. Has reclassified for 2022. Good news.

Interesting he'd be a 2022 kid. Wonder if he can enroll immediately and if it changes how many WRs we take in 2023 class

Advertisement
Interesting he'd be a 2022 kid. Wonder if he can enroll immediately and if it changes how many WRs we take in 2023 class
I wonder if us taking him was contingent on him making it in for the next Summer term? (as in by the time summer school starts up again in 2 weeks) maybe he thought he couldnt and dropped us but then something changed.

If Mario is so uninspired by what hes seeing from our WR room that he scraped the bottom the barrel to find this kid..that tell you all you need to know. Any elite kid we can get in 2023 will not be turned away. I think we will take 5 if they are all elite caliber. Some guys will just get the hint after this season and transfer out like Daz did.

I wonder if us taking him was contingent on him making it in for the next Summer term? (as in by the time summer school starts up again in 2 weeks) maybe he thought he couldnt and dropped us but then something changed.

If Mario is so uninspired by what hes seeing from our WR room that he scraped the bottom the barrel to find this kid..that tell you all you need to know. Any elite kid we can get in 2023 will not be turned away. I think we will take 5 if they are all elite caliber. Some guys will just get the hint after this season and transfer out like Daz did.
Mario isn’t letting him visit if he doesn’t already know the answer to your first question. It’s already being reported he‘s probably committing so 1 + 1 equals 2. I’m more concerned about how fast he’ll acclimate. Obviously they think he’s talented being that this is a multi year commitment but how fast could he get to full usage if that makes sense. IF they didn’t think he was talented then why not take a 1 year rental.

The offense will be productive, and better than last year's version, but the line still won't be great. Not sure why our fanbase talks about everything but our line. I do believe we can scheme around it to a degree, but that will only go so far against the better defenses.
Don't get your comment regarding "our fanbase talking about everything but our Oline". Man ... the OLine has been blasted as the biggest deficiency for the past 5 years and the biggest need for improvement if the offense is going to take the next step and become actually balanced. Everybody has complained about UM NOT being able to run the ball in 2021 and pointed at the OL as the main reason. HOPE is that with Mirabal and Mario focusing on new technique, new blocking schemes, and Gattis being more creative in scripting run plays, that the run game will have a legit shot at being effective and taking the pressure off of TVD having to make all positive yardage with the passing game.

Give UM a legit run threat and the opposing D is going to HAVE to cover the run game and the passing game ... both intermediate AND deep ball (look for Skinner to be active on the outside deep) and now another big guy that will have his shot. OL is a major key to being successful ... especially against the better teams like A&M.

Advertisement
Back