Juco QB.

I have more faith in growth from Williams or Crow than in some Juco stepping in to lead us to championship. These kids can take huge steps in a year. A and they will have had the benefit of sitting and learning from SM who is just now coming into his own. The game has slowed for him and for a QB that's huge. To think what might have been if he sported a nice red shirt back in the day.

I'll admit a few years ago I thought Stephen Morris wasn't going to cut it for us, just wasn't sold on him. Now look at him, balling out. I think one of the guys will step up.

Advertisement
Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.

Swag, I'm not so sure that your first sentence shouldn't say DL instead of DT. Just my opinion, but I'm not sold that in 2014 our DE's won't still be an issue. AQM has me excited, but I guess I just don't have that much faith as you do in the future of the position as it stands right now.

Swag, I'm not so sure that your first sentence shouldn't say DL instead of DT. Just my opinion, but I'm not sold that in 2014 our DE's won't still be an issue. AQM has me excited, but I guess I just don't have that much faith as you do in the future of the position as it stands right now.

Yeah, you're probably right. I still think of McCord as a DE and I guess I shouldn't.

I was thinking senior Chick, junior McCord, soph AQM, and surely two of Hamilton, Hoilett, Rico W, newcomers could round out a good DE group.

This is why I am really excited about Crow potentially moving ahead of Williams. Not going to bash Williams but Dewey or Crow needs to be better than him to give us another QB to push Olsen. JMO though.

Totally agree with this. Crow seems to have taken a step forward and has more upside because of his arm strength, but I Love Olsen's pedigree and given some time in the strength and conditioning program his arm strength should improve and he should be able to beat out Crow. But we have to have competition, I don't want the job just handed to him.

If a redshirt freshman Everett golston can take that notre dame team to the NC, so can a redshirt Kevin Olsen with much better offensive weapons, and I don't think he'll let us get castrated in the championship, like notre dame

Advertisement
Let's be honest.... we're gonna have an NC caliber roster in 2014 everywhere except QB and DT. But QB and DT are arguably the 2 most important positions on our team.

I'm not sure what the proper approach is at the QB position. I have zero faith in Williams/Crow to lead us to the promised land, and apparently they're both ahead of Dewey. That leaves us hosed in a big way. I would hate to see Olsen get KyleWright'd.... thrown into the fire too soon and destroyed mentally (not that I think Wright would've lived up to the hype otherwise, but it didn't help). Eduoauoauoard and Kaaya are both guys I like a lot potentially but they aren't the answer that early in their careers.

What's the proper approach? I have never in my life advocated taking a JUCO QB, but this might be one instance where it makes sense. What do you guys think.... suck it up and take the hit in 2014 with an eye to the future, or try and get a mercenary? The thought of a QB hampering our last year with Duke, a loaded WR corps and OL, what should be a talented defense.... makes me sick. Fisch kinda ****ed us here.
Our biggest problem with Ryan Williams isn't his accuracy or really even his decision making, it's his heavy *** feet & lack of arm strength. How do you counter that problem? With a big *** run heavy OL. We have the OL to give him time to step up & make throws. He is a pretty accurate passer & from what I've seen throws with good touch on his long ball. He's not gonna escape the pocket though that's for sure. It'll come down to Olsen & Williams & my pick is Olsen. He has some wheels & a great arm. Question is with a RS year will he be ready to mentally take the reigns. He'll have the weapons to be a badass so I'd say let him take the reigns. I'm more worried about defense.

I dont think you have ever watched Olsen play.

Well apparently you have so enlighten us please... I've only seen video and it appears he had a good arm and could get out of the pocket if needed. He also has an above avg understanding of how to break down the defensive reads. If you haven't seen that video you should.

Cam Newton aside, I can't think of any JUCO QB to make a serious impact on a title squad.

what about 5th yr transfers like Wilson?

There's a good idea. Too bad quality guys like Wilson are few and far in between as 5th year transfers. Dammit. Would be ideal if somehow we could snag a guy like this.

wilson is 5'10 we have 2 dudes in our back yard thats his size we might as well take them

bran,

I don't think Biscane meant taking a 5'10" QB. I think he meant how good the situation was for Wisky when they were able to get a player such as Wilson as a 5th year senior transfer. Of course it didn't work out as well for O'Brien (transfer from Maryland).

If there was a good 5th year transfer situation I would be all over it if I were Golden, but those situations are rare.

Advertisement
Back