Juco Portal MLB?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Word is from TOS is “Miami is still communicating with Henry To'o To'o (almost daily if not daily) but he isn't sure if he is going to stay at Tenn or transfer, if he does chose to transfer, look for Miami or Ohio State, heard Bama is now out of the picture”
He's waiting to get word on intra-SEC transfers. Right now they are one of the only conferences still enforcing the one year "sit out" rule for transfers within the SEC. Even the Big 12 just voted to drop their restrictions.

If the SEC keeps their rule, rumor is he will go to OSU. If they drop it, seems like Bama could be the sport. But it sounds like he is talking to others behind the scenes - like the Canes.

He's waiting to get word on intra-SEC transfers. Right now they are one of the only conferences still enforcing the one year "sit out" rule for transfers within the SEC. Even the Big 12 just voted to drop their restrictions.

If the SEC keeps their rule, rumor is he will go to OSU. If they drop it, seems like Bama could be the sport. But it sounds like he is talking to others behind the scenes - like the Canes.

Maybe I’m being bias but he can really have a take over year here and make his way in the draft. Him with smith will be a duo Miami hasn’t had in a min. Speed from sideline to sideline and can hit. I wanna start that Polynesian wave at Miami anyway lol

Advertisement
Wish we recruited more JUCO players.
We used to before the portal. I always heard that some JUCO players were problematic because they often had academic issues the whole way, from HS through JUCO. We had to be very selective. There were some kids we recruited hard in HS, but who had to go to JUCO. I remember hearing that we were not interested in recruiting them again after JUCO. There were others who went the prep school route and we did have an interest in getting them back. I remember two whom we placed in prep schools and they stiffed us afterwards: Lawrence Wright and Josh Jobe. At least that's what I remember. I could be wrong.

Still, some of our best players came from JUCO: Cortez Kennedy, Eddie Brown, Bryant McKinney, Jeremy Shockey. We got some other players who, although not great, but were important additions, like Geoff Torretta, Rich Newbill, and so many others. Why we don't go to JUCO route anymore, I don't know. Maybe we can do better with the portal.

I don't know how academic requirements have changed. It seems like fewer kids are disqualified because of HS grades or test scores. Maybe the kids we recruit are working harder to get the grades, maybe it's something else. There were periods back in the '80's and maybe '90's where we passed on so many good players, especially in Dade.

Advertisement
We used to before the portal. I always heard that some JUCO players were problematic because they often had academic issues the whole way, from HS through JUCO. We had to be very selective. There were some kids we recruited hard in HS, but who had to go to JUCO. I remember hearing that we were not interested in recruiting them again after JUCO. There were others who went the prep school route and we did have an interest in getting them back. I remember two whom we placed in prep schools and they stiffed us afterwards: Lawrence Wright and Josh Jobe. At least that's what I remember. I could be wrong.

Still, some of our best players came from JUCO: Cortez Kennedy, Eddie Brown, Bryant McKinney, Jeremy Shockey. We got some other players who, although not great, but were important additions, like Geoff Torretta, Rich Newbill, and so many others. Why we don't go to JUCO route anymore, I don't know. Maybe we can do better with the portal.

I don't know how academic requirements have changed. It seems like fewer kids are disqualified because of HS grades or test scores. Maybe the kids we recruit are working harder to get the grades, maybe it's something else. There were periods back in the '80's and maybe '90's where we passed on so many good players, especially in Dade.

A lot of factors have nibbled away from "JuCo" as a legit source of players. Some is good (more high schools seem to be prepping players better, meaning fewer "fail to qualify") and some is mixed (now that the Portal is exploding, you can take kids who were just playing P5 football, as opposed to kids who were playing JuCo football).

Advertisement
Back