JUCO DT Damien Jacobs

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
The Hurricanes remain on the hunt for top junior college players that can help out right away.

And UM seems to have identified another one, offering Scooba East Mississippi C.C. DT Damien Jacobs a scholarship last night(Nov 1).

Just one problem: He's currently committed to Tennessee.

But Jacobs told CaneSport today that he's open to being recruited by UM and plans to visit the campus in December - he's enrolling somewhere in January.

"I talked to coach (Jethro) Franklin last night - that was my first time talking to Miami coaches and he offered me," said Jacobs, who has 10 offers. "He told me they had a lot to offer, that he thinks I should check them out before I wrap this recruiting process up, see how it is down there."

Helping Miami's cause: Franklin is good friends with Jacobs' defensive coordinator.

"I can't say right now if Miami's a longshot or not," Jacobs said. "Coach has to recruit me, show me something that Tennessee didn't.

He adds of UM that "I know they've had a lot of success. You hear `Miami - they've had so much success in their program.

"They have to work hard and recruit me. I can't say what'll happen right now. I'll see how things happen, get to know them better."

* Jacobs committed to Tennessee in July. He had signed with FSU out of high school and says he was never recruited by Miami until this year.

"My coach told me Miami liked me during the summer," Jacobs said.

Advertisement
This is the first I'm hearing of this kid, but I haven't followed recruiting as closely as I have in the past.

Bottom line is we need quality DTs in this class.

Advertisement
Back