JUCO DL Ufomba Kamalu visiting this weekend

Advertisement
Bingo - we have a winner. Got killed by everyone last year with our DE's not setting the edge. In addition, we need DE's who can disengage from blocks. The film on this kid tells me he knows how to use his hands to disengage and close fast on a ball carrier. This is what we need badly.

""we desperately need long, 6'4 defensive linemen with enough strength to set the edge"

When you are starting an undersized and hobbled Shayon green, you're not going to be setting any edges. Kid has a ton of heart, but it's a glaring weakness, especially on a young and inexperienced defense.

Some of the posts from self imagined experts on this thread are laughable, think I'll go with waiting and seeing and putting more faith in Golden then a couple of Mel Kiper wanna be's with no track record. Some people on here have amazing recruiting insight, from tape, knowledge and seeing first hand. Others just need to leave the basement at Mom's house.

I have no idea if this guy has anything or not. But I doubt the coaches think its a a total waste, even if it is a back up plan.

kind of like us having a planned back up plan than a holy crap moment on signing day.

Some of the posts from self imagined experts on this thread are laughable, think I'll go with waiting and seeing and putting more faith in Golden then a couple of Mel Kiper wanna be's with no track record. Some people on here have amazing recruiting insight, from tape, knowledge and seeing first hand. Others just need to leave the basement at Mom's house.

I have no idea if this guy has anything or not. But I doubt the coaches think its a a total waste, even if it is a back up plan.

kind of like us having a planned back up plan than a holy crap moment on signing day.

Not sure who you are arguing with, perhaps yourself. I believe there is widespread agreement that one of golden's many qualities is always having a back-up plan (unlike Shannon). Some of us were taking issue w/ comparing the guy to Demarcus Ware / Clowney.

Advertisement
So, is he a backup plan to Bryant/Bostwick or someone they want anyways?

They want someone who can play a significant role NOW (2013). I would not be surprised if Bryant/Bostwick redshirt(s).

BINGO. People seem to have already forgotten how many JUCO DLs we were after early on. This kid is probably a back up plan to the lot they wanted Hooks in. We need help on the DL NOW, not just in 2 years. While KB or Bostwick could see some reps as Frosh, they will still be Frosh. This kid has at least a year of advanced ball who could probably get right into the rotation with that size. We need some guys who can contain the outside, as D$ said, so while he sound big for a DE IMO, they could start him there then roll him inside if they can pack another 10 to 15 pounds on him. God knows we need some help on that DL.

Can never have too many big nasties, especially named Ufomba Kamalu! I'll trust our coaches judgment. They've done well in developing the talent that they have inherited/recruited so far.

So, is he a backup plan to Bryant/Bostwick or someone they want anyways?

They want someone who can play a significant role NOW (2013). I would not be surprised if Bryant/Bostwick redshirt(s).

BINGO. People seem to have already forgotten how many JUCO DLs we were after early on. This kid is probably a back up plan to the lot they wanted Hooks in. We need help on the DL NOW, not just in 2 years. While KB or Bostwick could see some reps as Frosh, they will still be Frosh. This kid has at least a year of advanced ball who could probably get right into the rotation with that size. We need some guys who can contain the outside, as D$ said, so while he sound big for a DE IMO, they could start him there then roll him inside if they can pack another 10 to 15 pounds on him. God knows we need some help on that DL.

According to Butler C.C. he is 6'6" 280lbs. In High School in Georgia he was 6'"4" 245lbs so the has grown up in a year.
Auburn apparantly offered him.
All I know is that I liked his tape a lot and I love his measurables.
I just read a lot of scouting reports about him and they sound like Odogwu's reports, all about his unlimited potential.

Advertisement
come to think of it: who was the last legit under the radar recruit that was a definite above average player at UM? i can't even think of one

Eddie Johnson
Rashawn Scott
Ladarius Gunter

off the top of my head.

lulz, oops. Toss Olsen Pierre in there as well

The safety Jenkins fit here?

How about our starting QB?

Word is ****** born...people always forget Mo was like a 2 star recruit that whip loved

Advertisement
Advertisement
Eddie Johnson
Rashawn Scott
Ladarius Gunter

off the top of my head.

lulz, oops. Toss Olsen Pierre in there as well

The safety Jenkins fit here?

How about our starting QB?

Word is ****in born...people always forget Mo was like a 2 star recruit that whip loved

Na Morris was a solid three star but yea Whipple loved him at Randy's summer camp. The only QB Whipple liked better that day was the kid that went to Wisky forgot his name.

This kid seems to fit the Bruce Smith-type comparison, he will be able to knock down balls with his height unlike our current ends.

I'm definitely intrigued. IMO those saying he is a backup to what the coaches were hoping to do with Hooks is right. A DT that can play some SDE as well. Hooks was a monster and this guy didn't jump out at me like Hooks did on his tape, but IMO he looked every bit as good as Marcus Hardison.

Check out this article about him in HS:

DE Ufomba Kamula making name for himself at Starr’s Mill
4:18 pm October 25, 2010, by Chip Towers

The best defensive end in the state you probably never heard of is Ufomba Kamalu.

Kamula (6-foot-5, 245 pounds) has been terrorizing opponents for Starr’s Mill all season. He had five sacks in a 35-24 vcvtory over Northgate just this past weekend.

But you won’t find this athletic senior on any recruiting lists. That’s because Kamula came to Starr’s Mill in the ninth grade from Nigeria. As a result, his academics aren’t quite in order to be considered by Football Bowl Subdivision schools.

Nevertheless, one opposing coach told Starr’s Mill coach Chad Phillips that Kamalu was by far the best defensive linemen he’d seen this season. And that, the coach said, includes the much-ballyhooed LaMichael Fanning of Harris County, who has committed to Alabama.

“He’s D-1, now; he’s D-I all the way,” Phillips told Georgia High School Football Daily. “You’ve got to see him. He looks like Adonis; real cut, no fat on him.”

College coaches are starting to take notice. They are often calling Phillips to request video of offensive line prospect Alex Barr. When they get it, they tend to notice Kamalu.

“All the coaches are calling when they see him on film,” Phillips said. “‘Who’s that No. 47?’”

Phillips believes Kamula will get a chance to display his talents in big-time college football. After, that is, short stint at prep school.

http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/10/25/de-ufomba-kamula-making-name-for-himself-at-starrs-mill/

Advertisement
Back