JT4...Tyreek Hill

Advertisement
I would imagine some of the guys posting in this thread were the same ones arguing that Willie Williams was still gonna kill it in the league after he transferred (for about the fifth time) to that NAIA college in Kentucky.

I would imagine some of the guys posting in this thread were the same ones arguing that Willie Williams was still gonna kill it in the league after he transferred (for about the fifth time) to that NAIA college in Kentucky.
Yep.

Advertisement

Willie would've killed it in the league if He wasn't so self destructive, best LB to come outta Dade County.

Really? Why do we have to randomly criticize productive players that have nothing to do with the subject discussion? 47-689 and 63-754 his last two years here. He likely would have been the best WR had he been here the last two years.

Coley would've been the FSU killa if we had a defense and a kicker in 15' & 16'.

Advertisement
Willie would've killed it in the league if He wasn't so self destructive, best LB to come outta Dade County.
But that's who he was, he was never that other guy who was going to kill it in the league. That's like me saying I'd be an unbelievable basketball player if I was 7ft tall. Williams is a shining example of someone born with unbelievable physical gifts, but not the internal wherewithal and drive to do something with it.

There are lots of people born with supreme athletic talents, but only a tiny fraction of those people become professional athletes, much less great ones. And some of the best athletes to ever play their sport weren't even born with physical traits that dominant, their drive and commitment are more of what made them so great. Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice come to mind. Neither were born the most gifted athlete on earth; ****, MJ was literally cut from his high school team. He wasn't born a Lebron type that was dominating athletically from the moment he came out of the womb. But he had the mental drive of 1,000 men and worked himself into a lather day in and day out to refine his craft. THAT is what makes a great professional athlete, and that's what separates the Michael Jordans and the Jerry Rices of the world, from guys like Willie Williams and Jeff Thomas.

But that's who he was, he was never that other guy who was going to kill it in the league. That's like me saying I'd be an unbelievable basketball player if I was 7ft tall. Williams is a shining example of someone born with unbelievable physical gifts, but not the internal wherewithal and drive to do something with it.

There are lots of people born with supreme athletic talents, but only a tiny fraction of those people become professional athletes, much less great ones. And some of the best athletes to ever play their sport weren't even born with physical traits that dominant, their drive and commitment are more of what made them so great. Michael Jordan and Jerry Rice come to mind. Neither were born the most gifted athlete on earth; ****, MJ was literally cut from his high school team. He wasn't born a Lebron type that was dominating athletically from the moment he came out of the womb. But he had the mental drive of 1,000 men and worked himself into a lather day in and day out to refine his craft. THAT is what makes a great professional athlete, and that's what separates the Michael Jordans and the Jerry Rices of the world, from guys like Willie Williams and Jeff Thomas.

LOL @ Jordan & Rice weren't "born the most gifted".

Jordan averaged 40 PPG on JV, went on to average 25 PPG as a sophomore, Jordan was born with talent, ditto with Jerry Rice.

Talent is innate, it's not acquired.

My point stands, Willie Williams would've KILLED!!! it in the league.

Keep hope alive.

Maybe if the XFL is still around when he finally gets out of jail...

He was never gonna kill it in the league because he was never gonna do what it takes to get there in spite of his natural talent.

LOL @ Jordan & Rice weren't "born the most gifted".

Jordan averaged 40 PPG on JV, went on to average 25 PPG as a sophomore, Jordan was born with talent, ditto with Jerry Rice.

Talent is innate, it's not acquired.

Huh? I'm not grasping either of your positions...

The context of our conversation is professional athletes; in fact, we're really talking about the creme de la creme of professional athletes. You are arguing that MJ and Jerry Rice were naturally born as two of the top bball/fball athletes on earth? LOL Good lord, man, I surely hope not. That would tell me you know very little about those two GOATs' careers other than the ending chapters of glory. Those two literally personify the concept of what hard work and commitment can do when combined with god given gifts. If either of them had the mentality of a Willie Williams or a Jeff Thomas, they would never have become who they were. Fact. Michael Jordan did not come out of the womb like Lebron James. And Jerry Rice did not come out like a Bo Jackson. They worked their assess off (arguably as much as anyone else in sports history) to become what they ultimately were in those final chapters.

"My point stands, Willie Williams would've KILLED!!! it in the league."

Ok, then what is your explanation for why he didn't? The answer is that he never had what was needed between the ears. Hence, he was never going to kill it in the league, just like I'll never be 7ft tall.

Advertisement
Huh? I'm not grasping either of your positions...

The context of our conversation is professional athletes; in fact, we're really talking about the creme de la creme of professional athletes. You are arguing that MJ and Jerry Rice were naturally born as two of the top bball/fball athletes on earth? LOL Good lord, man, I surely hope not. That would tell me you know very little about those two GOATs' careers other than the ending chapters of glory. Those two literally personify the concept of what hard work and commitment can do when combined with god given gifts. If either of them had the mentality of a Willie Williams or a Jeff Thomas, they would never have become who they were. Fact. Michael Jordan did not come out of the womb like Lebron James. And Jerry Rice did not come out like a Bo Jackson. They worked their assess off (arguably as much as anyone else in sports history) to become what they ultimately were in those final chapters.

"My point stands, Willie Williams would've KILLED!!! it in the league."

Ok, then what is your explanation for why he didn't? The answer is that he never had what was needed between the ears. Hence, he was never going to kill it in the league, just like I'll never be 7ft tall.
Jordan worked his *** off, no question. But he was born to be 6'6" 215 and have a huge vertical leap. Genetics were still the most important factor.

Jordan worked his *** off, no question. But he was born to be 6'6" 215 and have a huge vertical leap. Genetics were still the most important factor.
Of course, which is why I said the context of this conversation is about the creme de la creme of professional athletes. Obviously, ANYONE who is even in such a discussion was born with superior athletic traits. But I was addressing why Willie Williams didn't go on to a great NFL career. It wasn't because mother nature didn't grant him a set of incredible athletic gifts. It did, and like many before him and many that will come after, he was unwilling (unable?) to take those gifts and dedicate himself to perfecting them.

Was Michael Jordan born a tremendous athlete? Absolutely; otherwise, he would have never become the greatest basketball player to ever play the sport. Dedication and work ethic alone aren't going to turn me into an NBA All Star. Without being born with tremendous athletic ability, you're never going to even enter this discussion, no matter how hard you work at it. But if you think Michael Jordan was dealt the set of athletic cards that, say, a Lebron James was dealt, or that Jerry Rice's natural athleticism **** near guaranteed he'd be a top level football player ala Bo Jackson, you've absolutely lost your mind. What made them GOATs is the fact they took those gifts and did something with them; aka: the antithesis of someone like Willie Williams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back