Josh Witt (Senior Highlights)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
[video=youtube;FD6R-zqpRng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD6R-zqpRng[/video]

Very intriguing prospect here. Looks like a future 235 or 240 pounder, 4.5 speed, high motor, and surprising coordination in coverage. He's not the most natural tackler (former QB), but you can tell he is physical. Our defense lacks athletic size right now. Guys like this will help change the look of that side of the ball.

Attachments

• TheWork.jpg
    TheWork.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 24,657
Advertisement
In those 5 minutes, what I saw was a nice burst and decent size. He's ridiculously raw at LB and plays extremely tall in coverage. How long has he played LB? He has some obvious attributes, but someone needs to teach him how to sink his hips in coverage. Watch him at most snaps when he's in coverage. He stands directly up. Makes a read, THEN explodes to the area.

In those 5 minutes, what I saw was a nice burst and decent size. He's ridiculously raw at LB and plays extremely tall in coverage. How long has he played LB? He has some obvious attributes, but someone needs to teach him how to sink his hips in coverage. Watch him at most snaps when he's in coverage. He stands directly up. Makes a read, THEN explodes to the area.

He's very new to LB, I think he was an option QB in Texas for most of his teenage years. Agreed about him playing tall, but IMO he is advanced in coverage for his size and experience level. Cypress Bay folks say that they use him all over the field in coverage, and he has performed very well in a 7on7 setting.

I love the thought of what he could be in 4 years. Passionate guy with some clear natural gifts and just needs to grow and get coached up. Despite looking raw, he also does some nice things instinctively, like how he manipulates/handles lead blockers in space a few times on those clips. He just seems to get it and be able to make football plays (which sounds ridiculously simple but the lack of which has plagued some of our otherwise studly defensive athletes for years now).

I love the thought of what he could be in 4 years. Passionate guy with some clear natural gifts and just needs to grow and get coached up. Despite looking raw, he also does some nice things instinctively, like how he manipulates/handles lead blockers in space a few times on those clips. He just seems to get it and be able to make football plays (which sounds ridiculously simple but the lack of which has plagued some of our otherwise studly defensive athletes for years now).

I noticed this a couple times and, despite looking his best chasing the ball, I thought "Sam LB" or "prototype 3-4 ILB."

Attachments

• TheWork.jpg
    TheWork.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 8,554
Advertisement
Core special teamer at worst.

Looks good. Kid must have a size 18 neck, for sure.

A few things. As has been noted, he is very raw. No pass-rushing technique- everything is a speed or bull rush. However, he does get good leverage on his bull rush, and seems to play bigger than his listed weight of 215. In coverage uses his speed, but his hip turns are neither quick or fluid. I agree that he seems to be a Sam, but as swagger pointed out, he makes plays, and that's more important than anything else.

I noticed this a couple times and, despite looking his best chasing the ball, I thought "Sam LB" or "prototype 3-4 ILB."

Witt and Northrup look like the best SAM prospects we've had in a while. Much needed with Kinard not making it in.

The goal line play at 2:39 sells it for me. Takes the TE away completely then buries the QB short of the chalk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 5
Advertisement
D$ I heard Kinard is suppose to be in the '12 class, he was suppose to find out if he was going get in last Saturday but I haven't heard anything else. Fwiw

I'm a big fan of Northrup I think he might turn out the best lb in this class. Plus he could help us land teammate Daniel McMillan who's in the '13 class who's a beast.

Attachments

• CEdWRIGHT.jpg
    CEdWRIGHT.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29,632
This is the exact type of player Golden needs on his team. If he plays next year it would be a shame cause he is the ideal RS candidate. Let him gain weight, learn more of the position, gain confidence and then play as a RS-FR weighing 230. Perfect scenario! But will our lack of depth and need for players like him on special teams make this possible?

It would be nice to have a 3-4 ILB. Gives us more versatility in changing defensive fronts.

Kid is an athlete for sure.

I think he listened to coach D when he said to "Stop running around the block!" lol he blows guys up.

My only thing, anyone who would know, is he smart?

We need smart players IMO.

Advertisement
Witt and Northrup look like the best SAM prospects we've had in a while. Much needed with Kinard not making it in.

The goal line play at 2:39 sells it for me. Takes the TE away completely then buries the QB short of the chalk.

D$,

Is this done in the water (Kinard not getting in?)

Advertisement
Our LB group in the future looks to be pretty stocked. Perryman has great potential, and he has already shown signs of being a very good player for us in the future. Gionni Paul has lots of potential as well. But the LB's we have coming in look to be very, very good. Keith Brown and Kirby are both studs, and Witt, Northrup and Burgess all seem to have very good athleticism and play with high motors and a high level of intensity. A couple years in the weight room, learning the schemes and toning their skills we could have a bunch of monsters at LB.

D$,

Is this done in the water (Kinard not getting in?)

I wouldn't say that, just haven't heard his name much. Either way, smart to stack up SAMs when there really isn't one on the roster.

I love the eye this staff has for LB prospects. Looks like we are going after a different type of LB to fit a possible 3-4 setup. some of those LBs are big boys. Some of the DE prospects could be outside LBs in 3-4

Advertisement
Back