Josh Pate On Miami's Future Under Mario Cristobal (Late Kick Cut)

Advertisement
Never beating the first bowl ineligible team in SEC with less SEC wins than Vandy?
At that point of the year they were a different team. See their game vs. Alabama shortly after. See Gattis offense that game as well. Just wasn't going to win; never put the team in the position to win. Was it winnable? Sure. Just wasn't going to happen with Gattis.

Josh is always on the money........his observations are backed up with his thoughts and logic from "his" perspective. He is becoming highly respected in College ball because he is not regurgitating all the other pundits.........
He is giving us his thoughts from the gut, and that is real...........much respect for a guy who calls it as he sees it...

It sucks how the season went but my confidence in Mario has not shaken.
Same. I believe that we had overlooked personnel issues coming into this season, exacerbated by injuries. I believe that this team, if healthy, would've probably been 8-4. Also, we need to shake up the coaching staff.

Advertisement
Show me. I will be there cheering and hopeful as usual. But you don’t get unlimited hope and support. And what happened vs MTSU or the like, FSU and Duke must never happen again.

Advertisement
He is recruiting well and has run a P5 program successfully before so there is no reason to think he won't flip this after he gets a good OC (probably should find a Briles guy since he likes running).

If he was a first year head coach it would be time to panic, but luckily Oregon developed him for us.

Advertisement
I agree with him. I'm disappointed in this season and I absolutely believe it was avoidable. However, I still ride with MC. He is building the machine. Will we ever win the NC under MC? No clue. But, will he build a perennial top 10 team? I wouldn't bet against him.

I don't see how it was avoidable. Manny left a dumpster fire of a locker room and a big portion of those kids didn't buy into Mario's "my way or the highway" attitude—similar to 1995 when those guys weren't buying Butch Davis' iron fist approach after the last few disaster years (culturally) under Dennis Erickson.

To correct something you have to break it and reset it. This program needed a bottom-out year to flush out the dead weight and to set a new tone culturally. Had they eked buy and found ways to beat aTm, MTSU, Duke or UNC and this is an 8-2, maybe some of these destined-for-the-portal guys don't end up leaving and it changes the trajectory of things.

Listened to Ed Reed and some of those foundation guys talk about how 1997 left a bitter taste in their mouth and how it fueled the work ethic over the next few years. They talked about 47-0 for years and this program had to live through it to build back better (for lack of a stupid phrase).

Mario had to lay down his foundation, his culture and his process for 2022, **** the results. Would've been nice is the kids responded earlier, but it was a tough love approach that brought on some feedback and resistance early on.

Seemed (for the first time) to turn a slim corner last week at Georgia Tech. In a perfect world, Miami wins out (pipe dream, but at least get to 6-6), get to a bowl, get Brown more practice and then get busy building for next year—but this year had to bottom out to break a lot of lazy players that needed to be broken. Some will respond, the rest will leave, but Miami as a program will be better in the long run for what we just had to suffer through in 2022.

Advertisement
He’s a fan… he reminds me of Herbie in that he knows Miami, USCw, Texas, and the rest on top just makes the entire college football world more exciting

He's a fan of college football, not a fan of Miami—and he's simply driven by logic and common sense, not the emotion that disgruntled fans too close to the program as exuding.

All the "doom and gloom" is due to too many fans sick of being irrelevant for 20 years and wanting overnight fixes—now putting it all on Mario's back, despite the past five hires being lazy, low-rent, wrong fit guys and the program just committing to spending money 10 months ago.

118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl (entering this season) equates to 7-5 annually for 16 years, while Cristobal is UM's third head coach in five years and sixth head coach since 2006 (for context, Saban has been at Alabama since 2007—Randy Shannon's first season as UM's leader.)

Miami is still washing off the stench of the Donna Shalala / Blake James era—as people are finally stepping up behind the scenes to write checks for real coaches and a top notch AD. Game changers in the long run, but not overnight.

I don't see how it was avoidable. Manny left a dumpster fire of a locker room and a big portion of those kids didn't buy into Mario's "my way or the highway" attitude—similar to 1995 when those guys weren't buying Butch Davis' iron fist approach after the last few disaster years (culturally) under Dennis Erickson.

To correct something you have to break it and reset it. This program needed a bottom-out year to flush out the dead weight and to set a new tone culturally. Had they eked buy and found ways to beat aTm, MTSU, Duke or UNC and this is an 8-2, maybe some of these destined-for-the-portal guys don't end up leaving and it changes the trajectory of things.

Listened to Ed Reed and some of those foundation guys talk about how 1997 left a bitter taste in their mouth and how it fueled the work ethic over the next few years. They talked about 47-0 for years and this program had to live through it to build back better (for lack of a stupid phrase).

Mario had to lay down his foundation, his culture and his process for 2022, **** the results. Would've been nice is the kids responded earlier, but it was a tough love approach that brought on some feedback and resistance early on.

Seemed (for the first time) to turn a slim corner last week at Georgia Tech. In a perfect world, Miami wins out (pipe dream, but at least get to 6-6), get to a bowl, get Brown more practice and then get busy building for next year—but this year had to bottom out to break a lot of lazy players that needed to be broken. Some will respond, the rest will leave, but Miami as a program will be better in the long run for what we just had to suffer through in 2022.
Those are good points! I still maintain that we didn't need to lose to MTSU and Duke. There's a lot of talent on this team. But, I do stand by what I said - I do think that MC will build this machine and we WILL eventually become a legitimate and perennial top 10 team and probably more like top 7.

Disagree. A&M was very winnable. I felt this prior to the start of the season. They never impressed me and despite their recruiting success, i saw them as a 3-4 loss team this season. The problem with A&M was that Miami couldn't get out of its own way. Had we had a better offense than Gattis' crap, Miami wins.

100% winnable. We beat ourselves.

Wish more of our fans understood that this is the truth. Hope we do get 1 more win at least to get the bowl

Advertisement
Back