Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any more rumors on Sherrone Moore? Remember his name mentioned when Gattis was announced but haven't heard anything since.

Advertisement
Was it in the Jalen Brown article? I can’t find it
Yeah:

Brown has spent plenty of time in Coral Gables over the years, but is now being recruited by his third different wide receivers coach in less than three months as Josh Gattis is set to replace Bryan McClendon, who left for Georgia after initially taking over Rob Likens following Manny Diaz's exit.

Our OL is currently mediocre and that takes time to build. I am confident that Mario will recruit this position well but this is the one position that typically needs development for a year or two. We should have hired an OC that fit the personnel we have now and when that person leaves in two years then hire a coordinator that fits our new mold. Briles, and Spencer Whipple come to find and I am sure there are other options. The bottom line is we don't have the talent to run Josh's offense so unless he drastically changes then I see a long season.
I’m convinced not many people actually watched the games down the stretch of the season

Our OL was good down the stretch when we got the right guys in there and that’s with our most talented lineman injured for most of the year

We need someone to step up at RT but I really wish people would go back and watch

Lashlees insistence on running those short yardage absurd plays got everyone’s mind twisted on how that group performed

Yeah:

Brown has spent plenty of time in Coral Gables over the years, but is now being recruited by his third different wide receivers coach in less than three months as Josh Gattis is set to replace Bryan McClendon, who left for Georgia after initially taking over Rob Likens following Manny Diaz's exit.
Ehh idk…sounds like they are assuming he will coach WRs. I guess we’ll see when the official announcement come.

Advertisement
64fbzr.jpg

I'll always be an advocate that plays per game are important, especially at a place like Miami which should have a lot of talented skill position players. When you have a talent advantage, which Miami should in most game, you should want to maximize the opportunity for that talent to score points.

I think Gattis should and will do well with free reign of the offense. I hope he is allowed that opportunity.
I am a little late to the party here but don't know if this was pointed out. These are the plays per game rankings for the teams in the playoff.

#12 Alabama
#65 Michigan
#119 UGA
#123 Cincy

So Michigan was better than 2 of the 3 teams that made the playoff and the eventual champ was one of the worst in the nation at plays per game. These were the top 5 teams by plays per game

#1 Wake Forest
#2 North Texas
#3 Duke
#4 Ole Miss
#5 ECU

Two of those teams had losing records and another went 7-5. I think you are overrating the plays per game metric.

It is always worth knowing what people have done in the past rather than what they say. What Mario is saying is basically “ we want to do everything well”, well it rarely plays out like that. Coaches almost always go back to their bread and butter or have a preference, precisely what you said harbaugh did because that is his background. The only exception I’ve seen is saban, he revolutionized his offense to keep up with opponents. Mario’s is a physical run game based on his time as a hc, and I don’t know what his backup plan is because when Utah and Stanford stood up to Oregon, they didn’t have one. It will be interesting to see what happens this year but I’m always going to go with what people do over what they say
past is prelude

Advertisement
I am a little late to the party here but don't know if this was pointed out. These are the plays per game rankings for the teams in the playoff.

#12 Alabama
#65 Michigan
#119 UGA
#123 Cincy

So Michigan was better than 2 of the 3 teams that made the playoff and the eventual champ was one of the worst in the nation at plays per game. These were the top 5 teams by plays per game

#1 Wake Forest
#2 North Texas
#3 Duke
#4 Ole Miss
#5 ECU

Two of those teams had losing records and another went 7-5. I think you are overrating the plays per game metric.

All situations aren't created equally, I'm talking Miami specific (probably have should have been more clear) although it fits other programs as well. Bama/UGA can do what they want because they can just out talent everyone, personally think Bama's style is more effective because of the increased opportunities it creates. I don't think a team like WI should be running tempo bc its not their DNA/recruiting base.

I think the recruiting base at Miami perfectly fits an uptempo offense. I was screaming for 12+ years about our archaic offensive philosophy, prior to Lashlee, not fitting South Florida. End of the day, there are a million ways to win football games, I only speak on what I think is the best opportunity Miami has to win in a big way.

Interesting because it eliminates a coach. If we’re sticking with 10 coaches, we don’t need guys to double up. I’d addae is doubling up (STs, maybe) and Gattis is doubling up, where are you going to hire the other coaches to?
U have always wanted DTs and Ends separate but doubt it ever happens here. 2 recruiters and coaches would be amazing for Dline.

Advertisement
Jimmy's staff with Wannstedt, Butch, Solly, etc. was very good.
I think Jimmy got rid of a bunch of coaches after the UCLA bowl debacle. Eventually, Jimmy had an amazing staff, but his first year was not representative of a great staff.

#12 Alabama
#65 Michigan
#119 UGA
#123 Cincy

#1 Wake Forest
#2 North Texas
#3 Duke
#4 Ole Miss
#5 ECU

Not really. Some of the explanations for those rankings are obvious.

Nobody is saying that it helps a team to have a defense so bad that teams score at will on it and quickly, so it gives your offense a ton of possessions (Duke).

But UGA’s offense didn’t succeed *because* it had a QB so bad it wanted to limit his impact on the game.

Advertisement
I think Jimmy got rid of a bunch of coaches after the UCLA bowl debacle. Eventually, Jimmy had an amazing staff, but his first year was not representative of a great staff.
True. But, I was not referring to the Miller staff.

#12 Alabama
#65 Michigan
#119 UGA
#123 Cincy

#1 Wake Forest
#2 North Texas
#3 Duke
#4 Ole Miss
#5 ECU

I've already pointed this out, but the Stats Bros are going to be stubborn.

The number of plays per game, as a stat, is misleading and fairly undifferentiated. Over one-third of all Division I-A teams are within a 5-play spread (70-75 offensive plays per game). The #1 team in the country was Wake, at 81 plays per game. The #130 team in the country was K-State, who ran 58 plays per game. That is 23 plays worth of difference for the most extreme outliers, though 85% of the teams fell within a tighter range of 65-78, or about 13 plays of differential.

As I mentioned, the key factor is how quickly a team huddles/doesn't-huddle and gets to the line, as well as keeping offensive personnel sets on the field for multiple plays. This is what keeps the defense from substituting/rotating.

But the hardheads are going to try to focus on an overly-simplistic, easy-to-digest numerical statistic. Any idiot who thinks that an offensive team ABSOLUTELY WEARS OUT THE OPPOSING DEFENSE BY RUNNING AN EXTRA 5 PLAYS PER GAME is just too dense for an honest discussion.

If you want to keep a defense off-balance, you get lined up as quickly as possibly, prevent subsitutions, and force the opposing DC and his team to communicate rapidly and on-the-fly about what formations to run. Five extra plays per game is not changing anything. I don't think I've ever seen a football team play amazing defense for 70 plays, and then in the final 5 plays of the game, they completely fall apart...

Gattis was tapping worthys mom and boosters found out about it and weren’t going to give him hc if harbaugh left. That’s why he didn’t want to stay

Ehh idk…sounds like they are assuming he will coach WRs. I guess we’ll see when the official announcement come.
Ya wait until the school announces their position. It’s possible both coordinators won’t have a position. I think Gattis will coach WR and Steele won’t have a position responsibility but it all depends on who they can get and how they piece it together as far as WR coach, splitting DB or letting Addae take both, and special teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back