Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys do realize that you have to run the ball to defeat inferior teams, right? The reason our previous coaches have lost to mediocre ACC teams is we haven't been able to physically dominate the LOS and impose our will. Whatever you think of Kirby, UGA puts away inferior opponents by running it down their throats.

We stole the BROYLES AWARD winner from a blue blood program - anyone who knows anything about college football knows what a big freakin' deal that is.
This all **** day. You have to be able to run the ball. Year after year, we have lost to or allowed so many inferior teams to hang around for a puncher's chance simply because we could not run the football. So many short yardage situations lost. So much clock time we could have milked. So many games we could have put away simply if we could run the ball at will.

Of all the things I'm most excited about heading into next season, it's watching our LOS and overall physicality improve. We've been a finesse team for too long, and that's why we don't match up well against big, physical teams. That has to change, ASAP. Mirabal, Salavea and Feld. Those three hold the keys to our season.

Advertisement
OMG wE gOnNa RuN 2 mUcH!!!! as Michigan under Gattis.

Michigan is something else. SMH. **** is crazy how people try to **** you over when you don’t things there way anymore. View attachment 176955

Was the mom underage? Did he rape her?

The most important question was, did he secure the player's commitment?

If the former is no, and the latter is yes...I don't care.

The Gattis hire is obviously a big boy move and I'm VERY excited to see how it unfolds.

There's a lot of discussion aiming to understand what does Gattis' offense look like. I don't think we'll have a clear answer on that front (aside from general characterizations such as "Power Spread") because Gattis seems like someone who is adaptable and has worked within frameworks established by the HC and OCs he's worked with, while refining them and ultimately executing them through playcalling on gameday.

So, I think the real question is "What will the offense that Gattis designs for Miami look like when structured for the the unique context of the Miami program and Cristobal's mandates."

I believe the best way to assess this is to look at Mario's time at Alabama (2013-2016) and Gattis' time at Alabama (2018).

Mario was at Alabama when Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize the offense from a plodding ground and pound pro style to one that incorporates modern spread and tempo concepts. So he was there to witness, install, and help coach up this transformation. Gattis was Co-OC and WR Coach at Alabama in 2018 (under Locksley as OC) when the transformational work that was started by Kiffin/Saban at Alabama basically went nuclear.

I enjoyed reading the following article to get a little more background/understanding as to this transformative period for Alabama's offense which both our HC and OC were a part of (and surely took A LOT from):

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the year that changed Alabama football forever

The following are some tidbits from the article of particular note:

I believe the bolded is a core element of Mario's approach at Miami. He wants to emulate Alabama at a programmatic level, which includes approach to offensive scheming. I like to think (hope) that it doesn't mean he will simply try to run Alabama's offense without having all of the monsters Bama has to make it work, but moreso run a tailored offense that will always prioritize having a run game that you can turn to while still seeking to ultimately be as explosive as possible using modern spread concepts.

This excerpt about Saban's annual coaching clinic and his sit down sessions with all the coaches that come through makes me think of Mario's extensive hiring process. I want to hope that he has prioritized doing a capable job of learning from the concepts and philosophies of each of the coaches he sat down with. I also want to hope that Gattis will seek to bring the best of the offensive philosophies and schemes he has worked with throughout his career.

With that being said, one of the key concerns with bringing an offense that is less systemic in nature is it being prone to get too complex and too multiple to the point that it lacks identity, and even worse, becomes too complicated for college kids operating within NCAA restrictions on practice/prep time to master in year 1. If it's a system that takes 2-3 years for the offense to hum than that is a real concern. I think this concern aligns with many who wanted an Air Raid based offense for us--with Air Raid there's a more easily adoptable system that works at the college level.

This is something that I HOPE Gattis, Cristobal, and the offensive staff prioritize--make sure the playbook and system does not become overly burdensome, and as a result, ineffective. From my vantage point, what pro style really means to me is endless complexity and options for what an offense runs.

Enter Gattis. Mario was present and involved in the process for the evolution of the offense and Gattis was present and involved in the process of the offense taking a peak form. This was after Gattis worked as Passing Game Coordinator at Penn State where Joe Moorhead (OC) led the PSU offense to be one of the best in the country in 2017.

Of course, after Alabama Gattis has most recently been in Michigan where he was the OC but working under a HC with an offensive focus. Michigan had their best season under Gattis this past year of course. Some have made a lot of the fact that Harbaugh brought in a QB coach from the Baltimore Ravens system to help further develop their run concepts. I think it's a great thing that Gattis was able to oversee and implement an increasingly sophisticated running attack.

My hope is that Gattis can build off of each of his experiences, and in partnership with Cristobal, Mirabal (legitimately one of the best OL coaches in the nation IMO), and the rest of the staff (would be bad *** if Gattis can bring Sherrone Moore as TE coach/run game coordinator) develop the blue prints for what Miami's offense under Cristobal will look like. With that hope is also a hope that it will be ever evolving and refined by all the coaches that come through while remaining true to core principles and identity.
great post. if you heard mario's interview with josh pate yesterday he basically confirmed this outright- didn't mention gattis by name since it's not "official" official yet, but he basically said (paraphrasing) "we were at a program [we know it's Alabama] at different times but were both involved in really transforming the offense there into something special/more modern" and spoke about running a power spread with a focus on explosive plays. that's the modern bama offense to a t.

Advertisement
Michigan is something else. SMH. **** is crazy how people try to **** you over when you don’t things there way anymore. View attachment 176955

Aside from Gattis' own family situation, do they think this will make him look BAD? He's coming to Miami not BYU. I'm ADDING points to this guy's score in my book based on this rumor alone!

Aside from Gattis' own family situation, do they think this will make him look BAD? He's coming to Miami not BYU. I'm ADDING points to this guy's score in my book based on this rumor alone!
Yea, I was going to ask why this is bad? Should entice lots of moms to encourage and accompany their sons on recruiting visits to the U. This is just a different version of the coveted "bagman" role. Let's stack those chips!

Advertisement
pics of said mom, for recruiting purposes?

24C41F1A-83B8-4C20-946E-72955925BDDB.jpeg

Advertisement
you ain't beating the elites with an air raid

we're gonna need balance btw big plays and an imaginative power when need be running game

Just stop with the worthless stats.

The highest-ranked two teams in the country in this statistical category ran 81 offensive plays per game.

There were FOURTY-FIVE teams that ran between 70 and 75 offensive plays per game.

This is not the biggest gap in the world. If you saw the year-over-year deviations by team, you would not even be worried about this "stat".

I don't care about this stat as much as I care about whether the offense can keep the same personnel on the field, thus limiting defensive substitutions. I don't care if the QB stares at the sideline for 20 seconds each play, as long as we get the play right and limit the opposing defense rotating in fresh players.
Michigan was 112th in plays ran per game in 2020 and 65th in 2021 and 2019 so There is nothing in his background as oc that suggests his philosophy is to run an uptempo offense. His history Seems pretty relevant when discussing this. And that was the background of the whole debate, not what was best.

Advertisement
Cowherd talking Miami again. Saying this staff can keep the big dawgs home and compete for championships within a few short years.

It’s not that WHAT he is saying is interesting; it’s that HOW he is saying it is extremely complimentary of Miami & Mario. Remember, this is the guy that said ST26 basically deserved to die bc he was a thug.

It feels good to be relevant again.

**** yeah. This is the type of dedicated recruiter we've been lacking.

A big step up from Rumph who was probably running around trying to suck recruits' dads' ****s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back