Confirmed Josh Gattis

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nice hire PR wise to steal their OC, but other than that I'm not a huge fan of the hire given both our current personnel and primary recruiting location.

I'm watching their highlights and this dude has a fullback/H back whatever in the backfield very often. They're running a lot of heavy pistol stuff with TEs packed on the LOS. Caveman shlt.

Unless Mario decides to abandon his offensive philosophy he's had for years and directs him to run something else, or Gattis has some secret modern spread he's been saving, it seems like a regression for our program in terms of offensive philosophy. We finally found a QB and joined the world of modern offenses, only to decide to break all of our cellphones and laptops and head back to the Bronze Age?

His resume is also pretty thin:

Gattis' total offensive rankings as an OC:

We finally have an elite QB that should throw the ball a lot. We don't have access to the quality of OL that Michigan does. I'm hoping we see some shocking shift in philosophy, but I doubt it.

If he brings his Michigan offense here, we're fvcked.

Oh, and you know who else won a Broyles Award? Randy Shannon.
why is that the bronze age? because of the formation?

EDIT* they run a no huddle tempo so I do not understand this belief on the board of how it's going to be elementary. I would really suggest watching a few games of Michigan this year and you'll feel a lot better about it

Last edited:
Advertisement
I never said Gattis sucks.

He definitely wasn't the best assistant in CFB. Lanning ate his lunch and was the deserving winner.
Ok, sooooo who’s lunch did Lanning not eat this past year? They won the Natty. Lannings’
D cucked Bama’s O, too in the title game. UGAs defense was a machine ….. with real talent on every level. One game doesn’t paint a true picture. Every coach has warts on their resume. Every one! You may not like his offensive philosophy. That’s cool. You may hate his run/pass ratio. That’s cool, too. I like more screen game, than he’s shown. That’s my opinion. But I like what I’ve seen otherwise. We all wanna win (well, most of us) games at the end of the day, If he can help us do that, I’m good.

It's a nice hire PR wise to steal their OC, but other than that I'm not a huge fan of the hire given both our current personnel and primary recruiting location.

I'm watching their highlights and this dude has a fullback/H back whatever in the backfield very often. They're running a lot of heavy pistol stuff with TEs packed on the LOS. Caveman shlt.

Unless Mario decides to abandon his offensive philosophy he's had for years and directs him to run something else, or Gattis has some secret modern spread he's been saving, it seems like a regression for our program in terms of offensive philosophy. We finally found a QB and joined the world of modern offenses, only to decide to break all of our cellphones and laptops and head back to the Bronze Age?

His resume is also pretty thin:

Gattis' total offensive rankings as an OC:

We finally have an elite QB that should throw the ball a lot. We don't have access to the quality of OL that Michigan does. I'm hoping we see some shocking shift in philosophy, but I doubt it.

If he brings his Michigan offense here, we're fvcked

Oh, and you know who else won a Broyles Award? Randy Shannon.
could it be because mich. qb wasn't the same level as tvd ... more importantly he schemed to his personnel ... idk ... but it's fair to ask as well

He's not a perfect schematic fit to our personnel, but if y'all are seriously gonna complain about hiring this year's Broyles Award winner who also has a history developing great wideouts (where we also have a vacancy), IDK what to tell you. Mopes gon' mope, I guess?

Advertisement

they still rank near the top in the country in total plays ran and they run a no huddle tempo so I do not understand this belief on the board of how it's going to be elementary. I would really suggest watching a few games of Michigan this year and you'll feel a lot better about it
Why you lying bro?

Michigan was 65th in country in plays per game this year.

they still rank near the top in the country in total plays ran and they run a no huddle tempo so I do not understand this belief on the board of how it's going to be elementary. I would really suggest watching a few games of Michigan this year and you'll feel a lot better about it

This board is full of ignorant mouth-breathing simpletons. Sad, but true.

There’s a lot of smart guys on here so this was mentioned before but you can bet that TVD will be used accordingly and that Mario gave Gattis assurances he will have full autonomy over the offense. Otherwise not sure Miami would’ve been that intriguing. I saw someone saying it but TVD is a top of the line QB and any decent OC will make use of him, especially if they want to be a HC next year. A balanced offense with the QB and RB room we have should be what we are going for

Advertisement
Interesting note:

Feldmann was sitting on the story for 72 hours........ I just listened to a podcast by the Athletic about the hire - it was said there.

EDIT: Miami paid a $500,000 buyout for him.

Feldman is as classy as it gets and this kind of restraint will keep him breaking stories when the timing is right.

Advertisement
I haven’t seen anyone mention it here yet, but it wasn’t only QB that was limiting Michigan last szn. Their best WR, Ronnie Bell, was lost for the season in game 1. I was watching it live & he was dominating too.

They had a great OL and 2 very good RBs. He played to their strengths.

Here, the strength is QB & skill position players. I would hope he would play to those.

Yep; u’re absolutely right. Forgot that tidbit, & I too watched it live. And I totally agree w/ u.

There’s a lot of smart guys on here so this was mentioned before but you can bet that TVD will be used accordingly and that Mario gave Gattis assurances he will have full autonomy over the offense. Otherwise not sure Miami would’ve been that intriguing. I saw someone saying it but TVD is a top of the line QB and any decent OC will make use of him, especially if they want to be a HC next year. A balanced offense with the QB and RB room we have should be what we are going for

You cook with the ingredients you have. This board is crying about Gattis making sandwiches at Michigan when all he had was turkey slices. And he still had an explosive high-scoring offense that led the country in 50+ yard plays.

What do you all think he's going to cook up now that he has prime steak and stone crabs to work with?

Spolier: steak and stone crabs. Also TVD is the prime steak. Got it? K thx.

Advertisement
Dude that's all well and good but you're one of the perpetually miserable legion of doom posters on this site so I'll take whatever you have to say with a grain of salt
CC5C1188-AAB0-4101-88A7-8B2330B509BC.jpeg
8C707FEF-07B3-471C-ABD3-A27F0F991BB6.jpeg
3D976466-0E9D-451F-938D-AC53236F5376.jpeg
D6E1A624-297F-42CF-A96F-A22B58B86E93.jpeg

Unless Mallory is playing WR, I really don’t want to see a ton of formations with both of them on the field. Especially since you don’t gain much blocking with Mallory.
I disagree my man. I want to see more Mallory & Arroyo sets on Saturdays. I want to see some Gronk& Hernandez ****t that's ripping the seams of a defense apart with TVD's quick release. Give me some if that!

All things considered I can see why Mario hired Gattis

Strong recruiter
Strong resume at big time programs
Ties to Joe Moorehead who just coached with Mario

If we would’ve hired a G5 guy the masses would complain

You’re somehow finding ways to complain about Gattis. Wait a year at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back