Josh Gattis on Joe Rose, Tuesday 7 am

Advertisement
Waiting GIF

Advertisement
One thing that stood out was that Gattis said he wasn't going to look like he did last year (at Michigan) because he has more skill and veteran presence at the QB and skill positions, but that he wants to establish and improve the run game more. That we're (Miami) going to look different.

Time for the cliffs yet?
-Mario is a relentless worker won’t beat him to the office nor outlast him…working 20 hour days…never seen someone work that hard…. Says he works harder than assistant coaches especially in recruiting…Mario is jacked up being the head coach

-Recruiting is a priority for Mario…protect south Florida and then go to other places

-Field is the TE coach…it’s not like he announced it but he was just listing the offensive staff; said he loves the staff and the Florida connections

-He came here because he saw the university made a commitment to compete at all levels…this was evidenced by pulling Mario

-Running game needs to be better…we need balance…can’t be last in the ACC

-Said people shouldn’t freak out though as it doesn’t mean we’ll run it 50xs

-Says his offense will look different than at Michigan because we have better talent at Qb and WRs (skill positions)

Last edited:
One thing that stood out was that Gattis said he wasn't going to look like he did last year (at Michigan) because he has more skill and veteran presence at the QB and skill positions, but that he wants to establish and improve the run game more. That we're (Miami) going to look different.
👆THIS has been the downfall of the last several coordinators.

Advertisement
👆THIS has been the downfall of the last several coordinators.

💯 💯

1. The lack of flexibility has been a major issue with out recent playcallers -- working around our strengths.

2. Our running has been atrocious with little creativity which has put our passing game in a tough spot. It also helps that we found a diamond at QB which will open things up a lot more.

💯 💯

1. The lack of flexibility has been a major issue with out recent playcallers -- working around our strengths.

2. Our running has been atrocious with little creativity which has put our passing game in a tough spot. It also helps that we found a diamond in the rough at QB which will open things up a lot more.

You don’t like HB dive on every 3rd and 1 we had the entire season?

-Mario is a relentless worker won’t beat him to the office nor outlast him…working 20 hour days…never seen someone work that hard…. Says he works harder than assistant coaches especially in recruiting…Mario is jacked up being the head coach

-Recruiting is a priority for Mario…protect south Florida and then go to other places

-Field is the TE coach…it’s not like he announced it but he was just listing the offensive staff; said he loves the staff and the Florida connections

-He came here because he saw the university made a commitment to compete at all levels…this was evidenced by pulling Mario

-Says his offense will look different than at Michigan because we have better talent at Qb and WRs
What??? Miami has better talent than Michigan at QB and WR which means we will throw the ball more than Gattis did last year?
But what about all the people who told us Gattis historically runs the ball ___% of time and that means he will do the same at Miami irrespective of personnel?
Bottom line is that good coaches want to win and winning means doing what your players can do best in that particular season. No OC with a brain in their head is not having TVD throw the ball at least 30 times a game. He is too good and we have the guys to catch it as well, including the running backs.
To quote Cheryl Crowe “sit back, enjoy the show”. Next year will be a lot more fun than some of you realize.

💯 💯

2. Our running has been atrocious with little creativity which has put our passing game in a tough spot. It also helps that we found a diamond at QB which will open things up a lot more.
I have not seen a decent run game (insofar as play calling is concerned), since Fisch was here. No misdirection, stretch plays, counters, ..... nada. Everyone sees what is coming, well before it comes. I was optimistic that Lashlee would implement something from Gus's playbook, but he brought none of it.

Advertisement
He might not have the OL he had at Michigan last year..but he has to look at that QB, RB, WR, AND TE room and know he can do some major damage this year. Hes got alot of toys to play with.

Agreed. Plus, most on this board attribute too much of run game success solely to OL talent rather than OL coaching/scheme. When the OL is coached in a high quality and consistent manner and when the OL coaching is fully in sync and served by the offensive scheme, then things start to look very different. I think Mirabal is that dude (plus Cristobal plus Gattis' run scheming).

I don't expect an elite run game, but I think many will be surprised at how improved it can be.

I have not seen a decent run game (insofar as play calling is concerned), since Fisch was here. No misdirection, stretch plays, counters, ..... nada. Everyone sees what is coming, well before it comes. I was optimistic that Lashlee would implement something from Gus's playbook, but he brought none of it.
Lashlee had the worst running game we’ve seen at Miami in quite some time. He still was a good coach overall though

Advertisement
I laughed when he said "we are coaches, not magicians" when talking about working with the guys.... He went on to say that the entire team was eager to learn and very open to being coached. He said that isn't always the case and he is very excited to get started working with the team.

-Says his offense will look different than at Michigan because we have better talent at Qb and WRs
Just to add some other tidbits to this that I thought were interesting:
- Staff holds a Recruiting Power Hour which they do on Tuesday and Thursday to get recruits on the phone (Gattis called it insane in a good way).
- More talk about recruiting and focus on it than I've heard with media before (my thought).
- TVD excites him. TVD needs to carry confidence over from year 1 to year 2. Talks about TVD's work ethic and pushing everyone else.
- Offense needs to balance defense and special teams. All about winning.

Advertisement
Back