Josh Gattis on Joe Rose, Tuesday 7 am

Advertisement
I have not seen a decent run game (insofar as play calling is concerned), since Fisch was here. No misdirection, stretch plays, counters, ..... nada. Everyone sees what is coming, well before it comes. I was optimistic that Lashlee would implement something from Gus's playbook, but he brought none of it.
Step one in having a decent run game is a decent OL. Good play calling would help

Last edited:
Tons of energy from Coach Gattis. He’s impressive! He emphasized that he’ll use what the players do best and he’s absolutely correct when he said we need to run the ball better. Excited to see what kind of offense he puts together.

Advertisement
You don’t like HB dive on every 3rd and 1 we had the entire season?
I saw us run what looked like outside zone about 3 times (2 was in one game,😂) last year and of those times, IIRC, we probably averaged about 8yds per carry. Never saw it again. Love what DVD looks to be developing into… but if we’re going to get back to an elite level, we need a running game, and not one that is running inside zone 85% of the time and on 3rd or 4th and short, running inside zone 100% of the time.

I saw us run what looked like outside zone about 3 times (2 was in one game,😂) last year and of those times, IIRC, we probably averaged about 8yds per carry. Never saw it again. Love what DVD looks to be developing into… but if we’re going to get back to an elite level, we need a running game, and not one that is running inside zone 85% of the time and on 3rd or 4th and short, running inside zone 100% of the time.
And running inside zone with the wrong personnel. If we are trying to gain a yard then we need the right package on the line and at tight end, and even at fullback
Running inside zone with 3 WR’s and Mallory at TE was a repeated disaster. We should be prepared to use 6 Oline and a lead back when we need to. And when we used a lead back 2-3 times last year it actually worked

Advertisement
And running inside zone with the wrong personnel. If we are trying to gain a yard then we need the right package on the line and at tight end, and even at fullback
Running inside zone with 3 WR’s and Mallory at TE was a repeated disaster. We should be prepared to use 6 Oline and a lead back when we need to. And when we used a lead back 2-3 times last year it actually worked
All Facts!

Advertisement
He might not have the OL he had at Michigan last year..but he has to look at that QB, RB, WR, AND TE room and know he can do some major damage this year. Hes got alot of toys to play with.
Not when the run keeps getting stuffed.

-Mario is a relentless worker won’t beat him to the office nor outlast him…working 20 hour days…never seen someone work that hard…. Says he works harder than assistant coaches especially in recruiting…Mario is jacked up being the head coach

-Recruiting is a priority for Mario…protect south Florida and then go to other places

-Field is the TE coach…it’s not like he announced it but he was just listing the offensive staff; said he loves the staff and the Florida connections

-He came here because he saw the university made a commitment to compete at all levels…this was evidenced by pulling Mario

-Running game needs to be better…we need balance…can’t be last in the ACC

-Said people shouldn’t freak out though as it doesn’t mean we’ll run it 50xs

-Says his offense will look different than at Michigan because we have better talent at Qb and WRs (skill positions)
TIFWIW but I hear to pay more attention to the Bama offense they ran when he was there and not so much to Michigan.

The biggest thing I am excited for is that we will be way more physical. I think Mario and Gattis will try to replicate Bama's offense. Bama is so physical upfront that they can easily run the ball down any teams throat. But they also have the QB and skillset at wr to shred teams in the passing game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back