Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Agree but if there are buyout issues it's probably from all the other stuff we had to buyout. Between Manny and Mario buyouts last season it was 17M and that's before the New staff and Mario contract. We are also building new facilities and spending alot on Nil. If they don't want to keep paying for buyouts I don't blame them. They gave Mario everything he needed last season including the biggest budget for a new staff in the ACC and he totally whiffed on literally his most important hire.

Sunk cost baby…. Sunk cost

If money was getting tight Rad and John Ruiz better tell Mario there’s no more do-overs and get the offense right

Advertisement
Look, you know and I know that NO football statistical model every comes out that way, where a team is scoring on the first possession every time.

As I pointed out, over a 14 game schedule, all of those little "single-game" anomalies even out. So you devoted a helluva lot of space to hypothetical BULL****.

The reality is simple. If your scoring rank exceeds your yardage rank, you are more efficient at scoring, particularly in the red zone. Conversely, if your yardage rank exceeds your scoring rank, you are less efficient at scoring. Meaning (if I take your wackadoo example to the extreme), if every scoring drive was a 98 yard drive that takes you to the 1 and you settle for a field goal, you will have AMAZING yardage rankings and crappy scoring rankings. But that doesn't happen all the time...or even very much at all...it's a bizarre extreme example that RARELY happens.

Soooo...again....nobody denies that there is a ROUGH correlation between yardage and scoring points. But when your rankings are diverging by 20 or more spots, then you don't need to micro-analyze every drive, you just have to understand what the data is saying. And the data will tell you that some teams are better at cashing in drives for 7, and some teams have more struggles.

That is not a fundamental denial that yardage has an impact. It is saying "who cares about all the yardage in the world, if you can't turn it into points.

Take one final example. If you had the Dallas Cowboys kicker who missed every single extra point, you would DEFINITIONALLY be leaving 1/7 of your total potential touchdown points on the board WITH NO IMPACT TO YARDAGE WHATSOEVER. Same thing is true for "missing FGs", they can turn a long drive into zero points.

So stop the the F+ nonsense, and just use your head. Some of you stats nerds are acting like this is infinitely variable, and it's not. The games are played, **** happens. You don't have a season dictated by short 1-play drives, just as you don't have a season dictated by 98 yard missed-FG drives. It all evens out over an entire season.

This is too many words to say nothing.

I really don’t get where this narrative that Miami paid Michigan a buyout came from. It’s irritating as ****, especially when it’s public info

View attachment 226322
I think the "Miami owes Michigan millions for Gattis" story came from the same Gaytor who invented "Rashada's 13M NIL deal included a 6M payout to LifeWallet"...
I too was skeptical but it came from this article from Michigan’s site.

I’d imagine it was public record.

Advertisement
That's not what I said. An announcement could have been made a long, long time ago and whatever negotiations need to take place can take place. Besides, while I've never actually seen these types of provisions, I assume the contract provides some calculation or formula as to how to negotiate what may be owed, and how to reduce that amount with whatever the coach earns at the next gig.

If it was announced long ago, that would be his effective firing date. He was at that time, notified that he would no longer be the coach.

That could cost more money than day whatever he's let go. I don't know the contract or what the holdup is, but I'd certainly say money is a factor to some degree.

That could cost more money than day whatever he's let go. I don't know the contract or what the holdup is, but I'd certainly say money is a factor to some degree.
At this point, I wish they'd let slip his buyout and we have 500 pages of proof that CIS would be willing to GoFund his *** out of town.

Advertisement
Can the Canes get a new offensive coordinator/ QB coach with Ponce gone? Demote Gattis to co-offensive coordinator with game planning and scouting duties but no play calling duties?

The elephant in the room with the type of offense you try to run is how bad will your defense could be. There is a reason that National Championship winning programs have power running offenses and protect their defenses from being subpar. have been through a good portion of over 500 pages and I don't believe in this long discussion that anyone has brought up how the defenses perform when a team is employing an offense that is air raid and not air raid. I understand that the offenses job is to score points and that is the main focus for the vast majority of us. The issue is that defenses suffer when air raid offenses play no huddle and don't possess the ball long enough or run the ball well enough causing the defense to be on the field too much.

I preferred an Air Raid no huddle spread because I knew at one point in time we would never compete with Bama, OSU, UGA, etc recruiting. Spread teams play spread out of necessity to mask personnel deficiencies or not being able to recruit the same way big time programs do. Guess what, we will be able to recruit the type of personnel now to play big time football and Mario/Mirabal address the single biggest deficiency in recruiting this program has and that is OL.

A lot of discussion about Mario holding back Oregon and Herbert offensively, but not enough stock being put into the results on the field, which is winning 2 PAC 12 championships and playing for another. The reasons behind that are a strong run game and possessing the ball, while keeping the defense off the field. Those are the goals of teams like Bama, UGA and Michigan, who are playoff teams. That is the goal of this program. We must field a good defense as well and not simply try to out score opponents with an air raid offense.

If an air raid guy come here you can bet he will be forced to slow it down and concentrate on having a power running offense like Monken has done at UGA. Once we have the right personnel on the field we won't have to have a no huddle air raid offense. We will be able to play big boy football like those programs, and we will not have to play cave man ball to do it. Both Bama and UGA do that well. Michigan is more of a cave man ball team than both of them. They run the ball nearly 61% of snaps, while UGA is 53%, Bama 49% and Miami 47%. By comparison USC also only runs the ball 47% of snaps and Linkin Riley rarely fields a good defense.

The main reason we sucked this year was trying to play cave man ball (first 4 games before opening it up more) with soft spread personnel. That will not be an issue very much longer.

With all of this said, just go ahead and bank on Mario not hiring an air raid guy unless he makes the air raid guy conform to a power run offense like UGA did with Monken/Smart. If you notice, even UGA plays with more 3 WR sets or with the TE in the slot more often than Michigan.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who cares at this point? The guy that hired him should be to blame for this. He missed and it is apparent. So if he fires him great. If he doesn't then it plays out and he either improves vastly or he is gone in December 2023.

More concering is with the lack of depth at QB we are one TVD injury away from another mediocre season. You also are giving the QB his 3rd OC in 3 years and 3rd QB coach. Many people over look this.

I will let it play out next year on the field. We already blew the offseason from the need of adding WRs and more QB depth. Perhaps we did not anticipate Jake bolting. Perhaps NSD will have a surprise. I'm not holding my breath.

I would expect this from a first time head coach like Manny.

I understand coaching is a fraternity so you don't burn bridges. But the lack of communication and direction is frustrating.

Who cares at this point? The guy that hired him should be to blame for this. He missed and it is apparent. So if he fires him great. If he doesn't then it plays out and he either improves vastly or he is gone in December 2023.

More concering is with the lack of depth at QB we are one TVD injury away from another mediocre season. You also are giving the QB his 3rd OC in 3 years and 3rd QB coach. Many people over look this.

I will let it play out next year on the field. We already blew the offseason from the need of adding WRs and more QB depth. Perhaps we did not anticipate Jake bolting. Perhaps NSD will have a surprise. I'm not holding my breath.

I would expect this from a first time head coach like Manny.

I understand coaching is a fraternity so you don't burn bridges. But the lack of communication and direction is frustrating.

What’s changed in the QB room?

We sucked with Garcia last year also. Most teams suck when their starting QB gets injured. Very few rosters In college or pro win with backups.

No transfer is coming to sit behind TVD so it is what it is. What we need is a better offensive line to protect him and that’s except what Mario has done. Run the ball and protect the QB doesn’t matter who the OC is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back