Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario should be following the blueprint of the best in the game right now. He’s literally said he’s bringing the Bama blueprint here. The only program that’s better than Bama at the moment is UGA.

What do they have in common?

They hire experienced, somewhat older, NFL coaches with experience at both the college and pro level. Dudes like Bill O’Brien, Brian Daboll, Todd Monken, etc. Guys who have called plays and can maximize the talent they have. Yes, calling plays at UGA is easier when you have 9 or 10 of the best 22 on the field. But he doesn’t just throw a dart at a play sheet. Monken’s offense is very cohesive, very well executed, and very smart. Mario needs to take the same route and hire an experienced play-caller, preferably with NFL experience. They don’t need to be fantastic recruiters, Mario and the other 8 dudes can handle that. Just be a chef. You bring me the ingredients, I’ll cook. Todd Monken isn’t spending 20 hours a day in the facility and texting 17 year olds at 4am when he wakes up. Kirby and his staff do that. He cooks the meals. This is where we need to go, IMO. The talent in another year or so will be scary good. Just hire someone to use it efficiently.

Advertisement
Yeah, and that 2017 statistic might, juuust miiiiight, be impacted by the fact that Herbert missed 5 games, of which Oregon lost 4 of them.

Maybe that 2017 number is higher if he had Herbert for ALL of that year.

Herbert had great numbers all 3 years, and the team got better every year. Yeah, but we should be focused on an awful 2016 team that went 4-8 team with a great offense and a terrible defense.

Again, the coaches' jobs are to win games, not to maximize one player's draft position or stats.

I can't believe anyone would argue for "the #9 offense" and a 4-8 team over "the #19 offense" and a 12-2 team.
Why are you continuing to bring up w-l records When defensive performance obviously has a huge impact on that? This is a thread about our oc and talking about potential oc’s and offenses. In almost all situations, an oc, like arroyo, should be trying to score as much as possible. His role is singularly focused on offense Because that’s all he can control, so there’s zero reason to muddy the water by bringing defense into the equation. literally no one is saying they would accept less Wins with a better offense…

Mario should be following the blueprint of the best in the game right now. He’s literally said he’s bringing the Bama blueprint here. The only program that’s better than Bama at the moment is UGA.

They hire experienced, somewhat older, NFL coaches with experience at both the college and pro level. Dudes like Bill O’Brien, Brian Daboll, Todd Monken, etc. Guys who have called plays and can maximize the talent they have. Yes, calling plays at UGA is easier when you have 9 or 10 of the best 22 on the field. But he doesn’t just throw a dart at a play sheet. Monken’s offense is very cohesive, very well executed, and very smart. Mario needs to take the same route and hire an experienced play-caller, preferably with NFL experience. They don’t need to be fantastic recruiters, Mario and the other 8 dudes can handle that. Just be a chef. You bring me the ingredients, I’ll cook. Todd Monken isn’t spending 20 hours a day in the facility and texting 17 year olds at 4am when he wakes up. Kirby and his staff do that. He cooks the meals. This is where we need to go, IMO. The talent in another year or so will be scary good. Just hire someone to use it efficiently.
Well put.

Advertisement
And Joe Brady was fired as OC in Carolina.
NFL and college are two different animals, Butch, Saban and Urban learned that themselves. Joe Brady absolutely revamped an LSU offense that for over a decade had underachieved. As it pertains to Arroyo/Herbert and Brady/Burrow it isn’t about development it’s about what each got out of them in college, and clearly what Brady did there eclipses what Arroyo did.

I don’t think Arroyo is a terrible OC but I think we can do better. His numbers in Oregon were also during a time the PAC12 was absolutely at its lowest.

The case I have against Arroyo is more circumstance than anything. If Mario had hired him last year, it would have been one thing. This is a decision that Mario needs to get right and okay most likely doesn’t cut it. Mario helped the narrative against him in regards to offense last season.

We say this a bunch but perception many times does become reality and we see that with WR recruiting. Mario put himself in a position where the next guy is the most important hire of his coaching career thus far. The wrong hire may not doom but it would certainly set him back a good bit.

Criticizing Mario for losing a few games Oregon had no business losing is fair. Or some games played closer than should have been.

The 12-2 team should not have lost at unranked Arizona State. And yet, critics forget he beat then-5th ranked Utah 37-15 in the PAC12CG.
He should have made a playoff appearance in 2019 but whatever. My focus is on this perception and narrative against Mario. He has struggled with QBs after Herbert and the perception is that the offense he prefers is archaic and doesn’t work anymore.

You just described Dan Mullen

NFL and college are two different animals, Butch, Saban and Urban learned that themselves. Joe Brady absolutely revamped an LSU offense that for over a decade had underachieved. As it pertains to Arroyo/Herbert and Brady/Burrow it isn’t about development it’s about what each got out of them in college, and clearly what Brady did there eclipses what Arroyo did.

I don’t think Arroyo is a terrible OC but I think we can do better. His numbers in Oregon were also during a time the PAC12 was absolutely at its lowest.

The case I have against Arroyo is more circumstance than anything. If Mario had hired him last year, it would have been one thing. This is a decision that Mario needs to get right and okay most likely doesn’t cut it. Mario helped the narrative against him in regards to offense last season.

We say this a bunch but perception many times does become reality and we see that with WR recruiting. Mario put himself in a position where the next guy is the most important hire of his coaching career thus far. The wrong hire may not doom but it would certainly set him back a good bit.

Jake Peetz
Dave Canales
Todd Downing
Brian Angelichio (not a QB coach and hasn’t called plays tho, but very sharp)

I’m not saying these guys specifically, I haven’t given them much thought honestly. Just real quick off the top of my head I’m trying to think of guys who have NFL experience and might be in positions to leave or are recently fired . Obviously we’re not hiring a currently employed NFL OC. So maybe a QB coach who has some experience? Back to the Daboll example, he was the Tight Ends coach for the Pats for several years before Saban hired him. That’s the type of mold Mario should be hiring, imo. A sharp guy with play-calling experience and NFL exposure.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You just described Dan Mullen

I’ve been saying for a year if Miami hired Dan Mullen to coordinate the offense I would have to go the the ER. **** a 4 hour erection, I’d be going on 4 months.

Agreed.

Mario does need to get this OC right. None of us understand the delay in firing Gattis, or if he’ll even be fired. Do so in the next few weeks though, only to end up with a coach available a month ago, adds to the perception around Mario’s hiring practices and settling for assistant coaches and coordinators.

Hopefully we get a pleasant surprise.

he was there with lane but I don’t think that part of the blueprint stuck…

Advertisement
Rumors are going to start leaking about Gattis. This thread going to be a lot of fun for weeks to come,
Hold On GIF

People 100% went over board with the Herbert argument against Mario to the point where it is now untenable. The knock against Mario with Herbert is that Herbert is on an HOF trajectory and had an offense that wasn’t centered around that skill set in college. It was a run first offense and people use that as evidence that no matter the personnel Mario wants an offense that they perceive as ancient.

Stating that Mario and the staff didn’t develop Herbert is utter nonsense. You don’t go top 10 in the draft and put up the numbers he did his rookie year if he wasn’t developed.
If a coach only has a track record of “developing” one qb over his entire career, im Not going to say hes suddenly responsible for making a guy into a top 10 pick. Two is the start of a pattern, or you have guys like Mullen who have coached and or recruited multiple nfl caliber qb’s.

Advertisement
Lane was very similar. NFL experience, college experience, play calling experience, etc.

If he really wants to be ACC Bama, and he literally has said as such, this is the way. Make this an NFL program.
Another aspect that makes Bama and Georgia so nimble with game planning is that they have experienced dudes in QC roles.

Derek Dooley
Todd Gratham
Mike Bobo

You have to have a semi-pro infrastructure to do what they do on a week 2 week basis.

Lane was very similar. NFL experience, college experience, play calling experience, etc.

If he really wants to be ACC Bama, and he literally has said as such, this is the way. Make this an NFL program.
I meant saban willing to hire lane to revamp his offense into a modern system. Mario doesn’t seem to want that, hes still stuck on wanting Derrick Henry and Ingram offenses rather than tua and Bryce young offenses.

Jake Peetz
Dave Canales
Todd Downing

I’m not saying these guys specifically, I haven’t given them much thought honestly. Just real quick off the top of my head I’m trying to think of guys who have NFL experience and might be in positions to leave or are recently fired . Obviously we’re not hiring a currently employed NFL OC. So maybe a QB coach who has some experience? Back to the Daboll example, he was the Tight Ends coach for the Pats for several years before Saban hired him. That’s the type of mold Mario should be hiring, imo. A sharp guy with play-calling experience and NFL exposure.
Bobby Slowick, offensive passing game coordinator, San Francisco.

He’s been in the Kyle Shanahan tribe since 2017. First two as a defensive QC assistant, then switched to offense and moved up the last four seasons. Shanahan calls the plays, but I like the idea of pulling from top organizations, which SF has been for awhile now. He’s young, only 35, so he isn‘t the ‘older, experienced’ type you describe. He started as a DWC coach at Washington.

And for good measure, hire 49ers WRC Leonard Hankerson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back