Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posters calling others ******** for questioning Mario is a different and separate issue and I get why people don’t like that.

The choice of Gattis is on Mario. The contract stuff is not him. It’s not his function.

Ah, yes, now the mopers are going to use the mythical "people were called ********" defense...

...even if it happened (which it didn't), I can't possibly imagine WHY any Canes fans would be frustrated with mopey porsters who immediately crap on our new head coach before a single game has been played.

But, yeah, "ebb and flow"...

I'm not sure what these mopers expect, and when they will ever be satisfied with a head-coach hiring when it occurs. Maybe we should just hire Nick Saban. All we need to do is offer more money, or at least that's what I'm led to believe by all the mopey threads that mention who we SHOULD HAVE hired...

It's never-ending with those guys...

Advertisement
May have been stated previously, but the first week of February may be telling with regards to Gattis. Reports of his hiring came out last Feb. 6. Depending on buyout language in his contract, Miami could be waiting until he completes the first year of deal before cutting ties. Have to assume any buyout lessens after Year 1.

Not sure how accurate, but there have been reports that Miami is paying close to $2 million a year. Gattis had just signed a deal with Michigan before leaving that was to pay $1 million in '22, plus a number of incentives. He paid a $500,000 buyout in getting out of Michigan deal. Bottom line, Miami has to be smart in cutting ties as there would be money paid to Gattis as well as his replacement.

Also interesting that Gattis send the following text to players heading out the door at Michigan: "In life I would never advise anyone to be where they are not wanted…”

The holdup is not "anniversary date".

Ah, yes, now the mopers are going to use the mythical "people were called ********" defense...

...even if it happened (which it didn't), I can't possibly imagine WHY any Canes fans would be frustrated with mopey porsters who immediately crap on our new head coach before a single game has been played.

I'm not sure what these mopers expect, and when they will ever be satisfied with a head-coach hiring when it occurs. Maybe we should just hire Nick Saban. All we need to do is offer more money, or at least that's what I'm led to believe by all the mopey threads that mention who we SHOULD HAVE hired...

Dude. Chill.

That kind of complaint is just crybaby nonsense. WAAAAAHHH, "he wasn't even all-conference his senior year".

Yeah, and whose fault was that? His coaches, or the voters? The two guys that got first-team and second-team Pac 12 that year were Tyler Huntley from Utah and Anthony Gordon from Washington State.

Let's take Anthony Gordon first. Washington State went 6-7 that year. WSU started off by racking up stats and wins against OOC New Mexico State and Northern Colorado and Houston, and then they went 3-7 once the Pac 12 schedule started. Anthony Gordon got "2nd Team All Pac 12" off volume alone, for a bad team. Outside of the 63 points scored in a loss to UCLA, WSU only managed 13, 34, 35, 20, 13, and 21 in their other 6 losses. Anthony Gordon went 493 for 689 attempts, with 5,579 yards, and 48 TDs against 16 INTs. Volume, volume, volume for a losing team.

As for Tyler Huntley, at least you can say he played for a good Utah team. Which, of course, lost to Herbert's Oregon team for the Pac 12 championship. Huntley went 220 for 301 attempts, for 3,092 yards and 19 TDs against 4 INTs.

Compare that to Justin Herbert, who went 286 for 428 attempts, for 3,471 yards and 32 TDs against 6 INTs. In every statistical measure (except maybe INTs), Herbert beat Huntley. The ONLY area where Huntley was clearly superior to Herbert was in rushing, Huntley had 290 yards and 5 TDs to Herbert's 50 yards and 4 TDs.

So I'm not sure what you think Herbert could have done to convince the Pac 12 voters to make him 1st or 2nd team All Pac 12. Was he supposed to throw the ball 261 more times (nearly 20 more times per game) to match Anthony Gordon? Was he supposed to run for more yardage to match Tyler Huntley (since he beat Huntley in passing stats AND the actual head-to-head game)?

I'm just not seeing "not all conference in his senior year" as being anything that Cristobal/Arroyo could have changed. Outside of the first game neutral-site loss to Auburn, Oregon lost ONE Pac 12 road game, by 3 points. Oregon won the conference and the Rose Bowl. **** good season.
A. What I said wasn’t a “complaint”, it was factual. I’m not arguing that he should have been when he wasn’t, that would be a complaint.
B. Why do you keep conflating individual performance with team record? Team record has nothing to do with what I’m saying, unless you want to argue that they were holding Herbert back for the betterment of the team

Advertisement

People were insulting others for questioning things on here like “Gattis is gone”

JHerbo should’ve been all conference his senior year, he was robbed. They gave it to Huntley who had a bit better completion %, but Herbo threw for 13 more touchdowns and only 2 more INTs than him.

Not sure why people keep regurgitating the idea that Herbo was held back when he threw for 3,400 yards and 32 touchdowns with just 6 INTs.

In 2019, his senior year he had:
11th most TD passes
19th most yards
14th best completion %

For comparison, Trevor Lawrence only had 1 better season than those numbers and it was better by 200 yards and 2 touchdowns….
Because the style of offense they played

Advertisement
My two cents....there is a personal medical issues (substance, ect.) UM is working a way to handle that and a separation of employment concurrently.
Besides a giant ***** up from the Miami side, this is about the only scenario that makes any kind of sense

The “misused Herbert” argument can be argued pretty effectively either way.

It’s not the issue.

The issue is that Mario didn’t recruit Herbert. He inherited Herbert, and despite Herbert’s increasing success year after year visible to recruits, Mario’s recruiting acumen, and Nike money, Mario didn’t recruit a replacement QB or any top flight WRs.

It’s the real reason he left Oregon to come here. He realized very quickly that his reign was over without Herbert.

Now we’re seeing the same thing at Miami. 5-7 playing 3 QBs who all looked equally clueless. Recruiting 1 QB in, and losing 1 to the portal.

People aren’t ready for TVD getting hurt again this year and having Jacurri launching INTs to the safeties, or a true freshman Emory Williams playing. What will our record be then?

This is a verifiable Mario trend and is leaving our teams ability to play offense hanging by a thread.

Most posters continue to focus on Gattis and that is completely understandable since he is still employed as far as the public is concerned. However, our emphasis should be on his successor, which in my humble opinion is the most critical hire Mario will make during his tenure at Miami.

My primary concern with the next OC is that the window for hiring a great coach is closing rapidly. The NFL is down to 4 teams so other clubs are already making post-season coaching staff adjustments. Furthermore, many of the attractive collegiate candidates have already secured new employers and are focused on getting ready for Spring ball.

Everyday that passes puts us at a competitive disadvantage, especially when you consider the distinct possibility that both 'Baga and Georgia will be shopping for new OCs in the near future. Mario needs a splash, can't-miss hire. He/we cannot afford to go shopping in the bargain basement or over pay for a less than mediocre coordinator simply because there are no better options available.

The lawyers and administrators need to get this done soon. Time is not on our side and kills all deals.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Most posters continue to focus on Gattis and that is completely understandable since he is still employed as far as the public is concerned. However, our emphasis should be on his successor, which in my humble opinion is the most critical hire Mario will make during his tenure at Miami.

My primary concern with the next OC is that the window for hiring a great coach is closing rapidly. The NFL is down to 4 teams so other clubs are already making post-season coaching staff adjustments. Furthermore, many of the attractive collegiate candidates have already secured new employers and are focused on getting ready for Spring ball.

Everyday that passes puts us at a competitive disadvantage, especially when you consider the distinct possibility that both 'Baga and Georgia will be shopping for new OCs in the near future. Mario needs a splash, can't-miss hire. He/we cannot afford to go shopping in the bargain basement or over pay for a less than mediocre coordinator simply because there are no better options available.

The lawyers and administrators need to get this done soon. Time is not on our side and kills all deals.
Are we sure our next OC isn’t already agreed upon? Could just be waiting for any firing issues before announcing.

Here’s something to laugh at to dull the pain

ridley scott gladiator GIF

The only sad thing about this is that a little part of me wishes Dallas won so that my Eagles could that the *** next week for even sweeter tears.

But this will do just fine….

Sipping Tea Time GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back