Josh Gattis (before its deleted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your 3rd point is incorrect. Weiss was named Co-OC (along with Sherrone Moore) after Gattis left. When Gattis left, he was the OC. They filled the vacancy by naming 2 dudes, Weiss and Moore, as Co-OCs. So that whole 3rd bullet is wrong.

I just don't get how someone can "always suck" and go from an SEC WR coach, to a Big 10 WR coach, to an SEC Co-OC, to a Big 10 OC, to an award for the very best ******* coordinator in the entire god**** country, and he's a complete disaster, and of course ends up in our lap? How the **** does that happen? I mean, Lincoln Riley and Brent Venables won this award. And we get the guy who joins that group but has done nothing but fail upward? I'm absolultely baffled how this **** only happens to Miami.
Some can lie really well.

Advertisement
Your 3rd point is incorrect. Weiss was named Co-OC (along with Sherrone Moore) after Gattis left. When Gattis left, he was the OC. They filled the vacancy by naming 2 dudes, Weiss and Moore, as Co-OCs. So that whole 3rd bullet is wrong.

I just don't get how someone can "always suck" and go from an SEC WR coach, to a Big 10 WR coach, to an SEC Co-OC, to a Big 10 OC, to an award for the very best ******* coordinator in the entire god**** country, and he's a complete disaster, and of course ends up in our lap? How the **** does that happen? I mean, Lincoln Riley and Brent Venables won this award. And we get the guy who joins that group but has done nothing but fail upward? I'm absolultely baffled how this **** only happens to Miami.
Yeah you're right, Gattis left first. I read this all when he was hired and was too lazy to double check. What i meant was it happened the same off-season. If i remember correctly (I think I'm right on this part), Weiss was going to be co-OC even if Gattis stayed, he was informed of this and obviously wasn't happy, and left before it was announced.

After he left, that's when Moore was promoted but i don't think that was the original plan. I know someone on this board is related to Moore so maybe he can confirm. I don't remember which poster though.

And on the last part ive got nothing haha. Clearly the rational answer is that the school is in fact, cursed. I also think Mario may not have done sufficient due diligence or maybe unluckily only talked to the few coaches who liked him, hard to say. Maybe Gattis tried really hard to impress Saban and he liked him while almost everyone else didn't, and Mario only talked to Saban? Who knows.

Advertisement
Gattis being a disaster did t surprise me one bit.

A more appropriate question I ask, “how did Mario allow this to happen?”

I know it didn't surprise you one bit, nor anyone on this board, because everyone on this board knows more than the people who do this for a living. We all know that. But it surprised MANY people who actually follow the sport nationally, who talk to people who know those in the coaching fraternity...people who wrote articles ad nauseum about how great this guy was, how he's on the fast track to success, how lucky we are to get him.

And he gets here and not only does he not do a good job, which I guess I could live with, but he's an abrasive personality, he clashes with every and anyone, he's standoffish, he doesn't recruit...it's like he was a completely different person than anyone reported on before he got here. James Franklin hired him, Nick Saban hired him, Jim Harbaugh hired him, he didn't sabotage those programs or torch them with negativity, yet when he gets here, he's an unmitigated disaster in every single capacity, both personally and professionally? Again, I just cannot figure out how this happens to Miami and nobody else. And it's not a Mario thing, either.

Yeah you're right, Gattis left first. I read this all when he was hired and was too lazy to double check. What i meant was it happened the same off-season. If i remember correctly (I think I'm right on this part), Weiss was going to be co-OC even if Gattis stayed, he was informed of this and obviously wasn't happy, and left before it was announced.

After he left, that's when Moore was promoted but i don't think that was the original plan. I know someone on this board is related to Moore so maybe he can confirm. I don't remember which poster though.

And on the last part ive got nothing haha. Clearly the rational answer is that the school is in fact, cursed. I also think Mario may not have done sufficient due diligence or maybe unluckily only talked to the few coaches who liked him, hard to say. Maybe Gattis tried really hard to impress Saban and he liked him while almost everyone else didn't, and Mario only talked to Saban? Who knows.

You might be right on the impending Weiss promotion, I'm not positive on that part. But I know for sure he got the promotion once Gattis bounced.

Just wild to me how Nick Saban (presumably?) liked the guy, yet when he gets here, he's basically the worst ******* coach on the planet. I know once you start to lose, things become toxic quick, but we never really looked competent on offense from the football perspective, and the whispers of this guy being an ******* started getting louder and louder really early in the season. How was he in the spring? All summer? Did everyone hate him immediately?

He's still here.
F^cking loser

attitude shut up GIF

Advertisement
don't think its hand holding. The dude is still on contract and if you fire him UM will have to eat the rest of his contract. If he "leaves" for another job then UM owes him nothing. It's that simple.

I guess at some point a decision will need to be made if he doesn't get hired what to do with him. Another option could be some type of demotion and hiring someone else to do the play-calling.

Still think Penn State is a good spot for him. He's worked for Franklin before and Franklin appears to like him so more than likely will do what he can to help him out.

Nope. If he takes a lower-paying job, Miami will pay the difference.

This is not a "voluntary" leaving. Interwebz porsters may not see what is happening behind the scenes, but this is not "Josh Gattis randomly going out to find another job after a year".

Advertisement

Moore was named Co-OC with Gattis his final year and WEiss was promoted to QBC. WEiss became the CO-OC when Gattis left.

the offense struggled the first 2 years w gattis as sole OC and harbaugh restructured his staff gattis final season including adding a Co-OC.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Seems to me he brought the Michigan playbook and just started calling plays out of it. Zero regard to the personnel he had here. I'm sure he would have been fine with a dominant offensive line and run game. He didn't have it here and injuries made it worse. He showed zero ability to adjust and it seemed things went toxic with him.

I know it didn't surprise you one bit, nor anyone on this board, because everyone on this board knows more than the people who do this for a living. We all know that. But it surprised MANY people who actually follow the sport nationally, who talk to people who know those in the coaching fraternity...people who wrote articles ad nauseum about how great this guy was, how he's on the fast track to success, how lucky we are to get him.

And he gets here and not only does he not do a good job, which I guess I could live with, but he's an abrasive personality, he clashes with every and anyone, he's standoffish, he doesn't recruit...it's like he was a completely different person than anyone reported on before he got here. James Franklin hired him, Nick Saban hired him, Jim Harbaugh hired him, he didn't sabotage those programs or torch them with negativity, yet when he gets here, he's an unmitigated disaster in every single capacity, both personally and professionally? Again, I just cannot figure out how this happens to Miami and nobody else. And it's not a Mario thing, either.

And see, your post NAILS it.

Lots of CIS porsters who act like "Gattis is a bad guy" was the most obvious thing ever. Not true.

Were there SIGNS? Sure. But nothing definitive. "Change in job responsibilities"? Sure, happens a lot, though. "Disgruntled U-M interwebz porsters"? Sure, happens ALL THE TIME.

And I've said it a million times, but THIS IS WHY WE NEED ALONZO. People like to mock and minimize, but Alonzo's MULTI-YEAR JOB was to go around to dozens (maybe hundreds?) of colleges and get the inside scoops. Which player is overrated? Which guy is a hard-worker who can blossom in the NFL? Which assessments from coaches are bullcrap, and who are the guys I can trust? Do any of these coaches have an agenda?

Like it or not, Alonzo had a job that relied on gossip and whispers and information that wasn't public knowledge. And he did a **** great job of monitoring the college football landscape.

Mario hired Gattis before Alonzo was on-board. I tend to believe that if Alonzo had been hired in December, he would have compiled dossiers on Gattis and Addae, and maybe Miami doesn't hire those guys.

So let's see what happens this year.

And this is why we are not going to hire Kiffin or Mullen or Frost or anyone else with a sketchy ego/personality/character flaws, unless we are fundamentally committed to going full-Saban-rehab. And I don't think Miami is quite there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back