Jordan Addison to the portal

First off I don’t buy the money rumors and secondly I’d take two of these guys over just him. I’d likely take one who’s younger and a lot cheaper if it’s a one or the other.
When does ”recruiting” successful college players take over recruiting successful high school players as the primary way to form a roster? Why wait 2 years hoping you recruited the right player when you can just cherry pick the players you want at every position after seeing them play for 1-2 years in college.

I think this is the next tectonic change in college football And NIL makes it all possible. Let’s just buy the guys who are good in college and stop wasting so much money flying around the country hoping that high school quarterback A is better than high school quarterback B. High school QB wants 5 million. Is he worth it? Maybe.
Proven college QB wants 5 million and he has 1-2 good seasons under his belt.
Tell me which one is the more sure bet and worth the money.

Advertisement
When does ”recruiting” successful college players take over recruiting successful high school players as the primary way to form a roster? Why wait 2 years hoping you recruited the right player when you can just cherry pick the players you want at every position after seeing them play for 1-2 years in college.

I think this is the next tectonic change in college football And NIL makes it all possible. Let’s just buy the guys who are good in college and stop wasting so much money flying around the country hoping that high school quarterback A is better than high school quarterback B. High school QB wants 5 million. Is he worth it? Maybe.
Going rhe La Rams route minus trading all their picks ? Yeah lol. I think there‘ll be some drastic changes eventually , this is the wild Wild West right now.

The only difference between Addison and every other elite player that entered the portal is timing… he doesn’t have the time to play it off like he’s freely looking at other schools before going to the school he has already made a deal with. I don’t feel sorry for Pitt and don’t agree with these it’s bad for college football narratives. Adapt or cry and we’re f**kn so I don’t want to go back to the way it was before.
Me either! It should never go back to the way it was. Change is good
Your daddy? Jail house ***** talk. Bendover MFer
Both needs to hit the PAUSE BUTTON

Advertisement

That’s Lane Kiffin’s current strategy at Ole Miss...

Spend the bulk of recruiting on plug & play Portal guys & recruit more developmental players that won’t be ready to play right away anyhow so by the time they are ready the Portal guys have already been siphoned out.

It’s actually a smart alternative for teams that can’t spend $30mill a year in HS recruiting like UGA, TAMU, Bama etc..

I think the only difference with this one is that it’s a new QB and new offensive coordinator.

Probably figured since that is the case and maybe he didn’t like how things looked in Spring ball, to go to a program with a proven QB and offensive coordinator/coach. Just my immediate thought without really looking into the situation.
Everytime I turn on his show which is admittedly rarely, I have heard him talk Miami up.
I’m glad he tweeted it and said it. Some of those he referenced are right here on CIS…
It pains/the hate them to see these young men and women with new cars/trucks and huge financial deals. Now the system isn’t sustainable, spending is out of control, tampering and something needs be done etc. . .Smh

That’s Lane Kiffin’s current strategy at Ole Miss...

Spend the bulk of recruiting on plug & play Portal guys & recruit more developmental players that won’t be ready to play right away anyhow so by the time they are ready the Portal guys have already been siphoned out.

It’s actually a smart alternative for teams that can’t spend $30mill a year in HS recruiting like UGA, TAMU, Bama etc..
Exactly. Save a bunch of money on the high school recruiting budget.
In reality most college players give their schools 2 productive seasons. Few are good enough to play as freshman and if they are really good, they leave early for the league. So get them as transfers for 1-2 seasons and then get the next one for 1-2 seasons.

Like @Cribby wrote, I am advocating the professional model. Every college player is effectively an unrestricted free agent. So treat them as such. The only negative I can see is that you have lots of roster upheaval from year to year. But again, if a guy has already prove his worth on the field, is not a problem in locker room or classroom, then he is less likely to be a problem at his new school than an 18 year old who still has to learn to deal with the completely new world of college life.

Necessity is the mother of invention and Lane is smart enough to recognize that he will never be able to “out-recruit” his SEC competitors for high school talent as he lacks the budget and the private jets and the small army of analysts to pore over every bit of 4 years of high school film. So why try? Beat the competitors using the new rules instead of the old.

How long before Saban jumps on this model? Give him one 5 star bust at QB and he will change.

So many of you cats sleeping big time on 2022 Pitt.

I thought they’d win about 10 games plus or minus 1 easily with him.

I think no Addison drops them to a 8 or 9 win club.

The DL is elite. They have 5 All-ACC Olineman returning, LBs. You couldn’t make up a better situation for Slovis. They were probably trending for 10-11ws.

Same people who thought they would be trash last season for them to go on and win 11 games.

Orange and green glasses though
They gave up:
44 points to Western Michigan
34 to Tennessee
38 to our CANES
38 to Virginia
31 to Michigan State and we're never really in that game.

They've now lost their 1st round QB and people think they we're going to be a playoff team.

If thats the case we should be in the NC game with this thinking. hahahah

Advertisement
I don't necessarily hate on Addison for bolting to another program. But this entire thing is Bush league, reeks of soFla Optimist football tampering nonsense. Coaches should be held responsible.

No doubt, dead on.

He's still on that team and is hearing whatever he's hearing from wherever.

There's no doubt this is tampering. I don't know that anyone can do anything about it, but IMHO your name needs to be in the portal before you hear anything from anywhere.
I think we have to recognize the distinction between the Coaching Staff of a university being “visibly” involved in recruiting a kid who isn’t in the portal and an NIL purveyor like Ruiz who isn’t part of the University as an employee. People can offer NIL deals to kids wherever they are and the NCAA can’t do a thing about it.

Obviously I get that there are back channel things going on that shouldn’t be. I’m just saying that there’s a difference between Mario reaching out about a scholarship and Ruiz reaching out about NIL.

They gave up:
44 points to Western Michigan
34 to Tennessee
38 to our CANES
38 to Virginia
31 to Michigan State and we're never really in that game.

They've now lost their 1st round QB and people think they we're going to be a playoff team.

If thats the case we should be in the NC game with this thinking. hahahah
People underestimate what departures at big spots can do to a team who recruits at the level of Pitt. They have their best season in over 20 years and people think they're just gonna simply replace their first round QB and OC who had been working together for 3 years and things will be fine. A bad UNC should've beat them at Pitt last year. UNC was at the goalline with under a minute left and didn't score. Thats how fine a line it is. They had a great season. Thinking they're capable of duplicating it so quickly is asking too much.

People underestimate what departures at big spots can do to a team who recruits at the level of Pitt. They have their best season in over 20 years and people think they're just gonna simply replace their first round QB and OC who had been working together for 3 years and things will be fine. A bad UNC should've beat them at Pitt last year. UNC was at the goalline with under a minute left and didn't score. Thats how fine a line it is. They had a great season. Thinking they're capable of duplicating it so quickly is asking too much.

UNC dropped off tremendously after losing their 2 NFL backs and their 2 NFL WRs. Pitt is about to lose their best player and obviously replacing their 1st round QB, on top of breaking in a new system. I agree, they will be nowhere close to last season.

Exactly!!!

Advertisement
UNC dropped off tremendously after losing their 2 NFL backs and their 2 NFL WRs. Pitt is about to lose their best player and obviously replacing their 1st round QB, on top of breaking in a new system. I agree, they will be nowhere close to last season.
That is one of the reasons Saban doesn't switch up his offensive system now no matter which coordinator comes in. And he has the talent to overcome continuity issues. OCs run the Alabama system.

It's the pros now

I think we have to recognize the distinction between the Coaching Staff of a university being “visibly” involved in recruiting a kid who isn’t in the portal and an NIL purveyor like Ruiz who isn’t part of the University as an employee. People can offer NIL deals to kids wherever they are and the NCAA can’t do a thing about it.

Obviously I get that there are back channel things going on that shouldn’t be. I’m just saying that there’s a difference between Mario reaching out about a scholarship and Ruiz reaching out about NIL.

We all know Ruiz isn't coming up with the names of who we want. As coaches can't comment on recruiting, there's some impropriety going on everywhere.

I hear you though.

Advertisement
We all know Ruiz isn't coming up with the names of who we want. As coaches can't comment on recruiting, there's some impropriety going on everywhere.

I hear you though.
I said I’m sure there are (not necessarily ours) back channels going on.

The HC or an underling can simply be talking to program supporters and say “man we could use a number one WR so we can scheme the way Pitt does with Jordan Addison. That’s a missing piece to the offense we’re running, Mr. NIL Man.”

I’m sure some SEC coaches have operated like Mob bosses. They didn’t have to spell stuff out for stuff to happen.

I said I’m sure there are (not necessarily ours) back channels going on.

The HC or an underling can simply be talking to program supporters and say “man we could use a number one WR so we can scheme the way Pitt does with Jordan Addison. That’s a missing piece to the offense we’re running, Mr. NIL Man.”

I’m sure some SEC coaches operated like Mob bosses. They didn’t have to spell stuff out for stuff to happen.
Yeah something subtle like that. But we all know that tampering is basically not even a thing anymore because there is no real way to enforce whether a “school” contacted a player still under Scholarship or someone who is a booster of the school, or a current player reaching out to his friend at another school who just happens to be Jordan Addison.

I am pro NIL from a economic, moral, ethical and legal perspective. Lets just all be glad that we are benefitting rather than suffering from NIL.

As a "booster" I used to get information/warning about contacting recruits or offering them anything to entice them to choose the school I supported. Is it now completely acceptable by the NCAA rules that a booster contacts a player on another team offering him an NIL deal if transfers? I don't know what is happening now but it looks like it is the wild west and I honestly don't like it. But this is just me I guess.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back