Jonathon Denis in portal (Transfers to Miami)

Advertisement
Don't really understand this one unless they are planning on losing multiple OL? Dennis has never played a game and fell down the depth chart at Oregon?
“Jonathan Denis, he had an injury the other day,” Cristobal said. “He was just about splitting time with the ones.”

It sounds as though the 6-3, 296 pound freshman won’t see the field anytime soon, either.

“We think his injury is gonna be probably a little bit longer,” Cristobal said. “So he may be out for a little while.”

It’s unfortunate timing for Denis, who had a stellar preseason camp and seemed to be in line for significant playing time at center this season.

“Jonathan Denis, he had an injury the other day,” Cristobal said. “He was just about splitting time with the ones.”

It sounds as though the 6-3, 296 pound freshman won’t see the field anytime soon, either.

“We think his injury is gonna be probably a little bit longer,” Cristobal said. “So he may be out for a little while.”

It’s unfortunate timing for Denis, who had a stellar preseason camp and seemed to be in line for significant playing time at center this season.

DuckTerritory

Mattm334
1VIP+

Some background on Denis and his departue​

• MattPrehm avatar
    When Mario Cristobal left Oregon for Miami back in December Denis was brought to my attention in the days that followed. He had informed teammates he would be leaving the program, but as we all know that didn't happen. Dan Lanning was hired and Denis was willing to give the new staff a look and see how things went. As December turned into January and January into Februray, the feeling was things were smoothed over. Denis would stay at Oregon and ride outt he 2022 season and see where he was at. But when you return a bunch of seniors for an extra year due to COVID, you're bound to see a few underclassmen look around and say "I love this place, but I want to play and these guys weren't suppossed to be here." There wasn't any illwill from what I can gather of Denis, just a guy that wants to play. Then spring ball has hit and he's behind more than a few players on the depth chart. People back home in South Florida started talking with him about coming home in Florida or somewhere closer to home, and then as of Friday last week I got a message from a source saying this was very possible again. I checked the portal on Friday and he wasn't in there. But none the less it was something brewing. As we now know, he's decided to leave. It's a hit to the depth and long-term prospects, but the loss of Denis shouldn't alter the trajectory of the offensive line or the season.
Here's what Oregon 247 guys said about Dennis leaving

Advertisement

DuckTerritory

Mattm334
1VIP+

• MattPrehm avatar
    When Mario Cristobal left Oregon for Miami back in December Denis was brought to my attention in the days that followed. He had informed teammates he would be leaving the program, but as we all know that didn't happen. Dan Lanning was hired and Denis was willing to give the new staff a look and see how things went. As December turned into January and January into Februray, the feeling was things were smoothed over. Denis would stay at Oregon and ride outt he 2022 season and see where he was at. But when you return a bunch of seniors for an extra year due to COVID, you're bound to see a few underclassmen look around and say "I love this place, but I want to play and these guys weren't suppossed to be here." There wasn't any illwill from what I can gather of Denis, just a guy that wants to play. Then spring ball has hit and he's behind more than a few players on the depth chart. People back home in South Florida started talking with him about coming home in Florida or somewhere closer to home, and then as of Friday last week I got a message from a source saying this was very possible again. I checked the portal on Friday and he wasn't in there. But none the less it was something brewing. As we now know, he's decided to leave. It's a hit to the depth and long-term prospects, but the loss of Denis shouldn't alter the trajectory of the offensive line or the season.
According to Denis he won't be cleared for full contact until the summer. So if he's missing spring because of injury falling down the depth chart is going to occur naturally through no fault of his own

Advertisement

DuckTerritory

Mattm334
1VIP+

• MattPrehm avatar
I mean I don’t think he’s playing here either. At least not this year.

If you’re questioning this decision, just ask yourself this. Who knows more about UM football , you or Mario Cristobal?
Coaches make bad moves & dumb decisions all the time & it’s not illegal to be skeptical or question Coaches.

BUT, in this instance it’s a no-brainer to take Jonathan Denis just based off the simple fact that our OL has been historically bad over the last 5 years. If fans took their Canes-shades off for 5 seconds & gave a clear look at our roster, particularly the OL they would see why this staff is still bringing in players to help bolster the depth & pushing some kids out.

It’s about raising the floor of the talent level of the team & adding quality depth.

As of now if any of our top 6 OL’s goes down, We. Are. Fcked. Need more pieces & versatility on the line because there’s going to be more shuffling on the line come August & as the season progresses.

So as of right now our OL would be….

LT: Nelson, McLaughlin, Walker
LG: Rivers, Sagapolu, Seymour
C: Clark, Denis, Rodriguez
RG: Oluwaseun, Traore, Reed
RT: Scaife, Campbell, Washington

Missing anyone?

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is an OL that Mario and Mirabel not only recruited but already coached and has seen him on their team for 2 full seasons.

There's nobody in a better position to determine whether this kid can help us or not than Mario and Mirabel

Advertisement
Back