Jonathan Garvin

We shouldn't be surprised. I thought 99 was as good as any freshmen de I have ever seen last year, then in an interview before the season JJ said yeah I was nice, but this Garvin kid might be even better than me THIS year. D ends like these kids are program changers. Garvins presence of mind to also try to strip the qb while sacking them is off the charts, but to be athletic enough to recover it? Wow.

Advertisement
That young man will have a long career in the League as long as he works hard and stays out of trouble. 2 straight strip sacks with recoveries in 2 weeks against elite competition. That man deserves his own thread today.

Glad you posted this!

Said it many times last year. My favorite recruit in the 2017 class was Garvin.

He was overlooked and under appreciated because D.J. Johnson is a freak athlete, too.

But Garvin just looked unstoppable in H.S. and his frame is the perfect prototype for what a dominant DE should look like.
Plus, his motor is non-stop.

Kid is just a natural born baller!

Perhaps the most gifted natural pass rusher we've seen here. He is 4 months removed from his 18th birthday.

Absolutely, Joe Jack is right there with him but he doesn’t have that natural bend/speed combination that Garvin has and that’s saying something. He looks a lot like Dwight Freeney coming around the edge.

Advertisement
If he's not a future 1st or 2nd round pick, I need to stop watching football because I clearly have no idea wtf I am watching.

As a freshman, this MF'r came from the B-Gap, and looped around a first round offensive tackle and All-American on an island with some insane-o get off, speed, bend, and some ridiculous hand use for a strip sack and recovery.

That **** is not normal.

That kid has a God-Given gift for the triple play(Sack, Strip,Recovery). He's gonna have at least 8 of em in in his true junior(last) year, book it...

Rattler, what's the word on T. Campbell from last night? Sorry if you already answered in another thread, just haven't seen it.

Man oh man! Kid is already a star a few months out of hs. If our OT next year aren't the best in college football after facing our DE's in practice every day then there is no truth to the theory that facing great players make you better.

Advertisement
Man oh man! Kid is already a star a few months out of hs. If our OT next year aren't the best in college football after facing our DE's in practice every day then there is no truth to the theory that facing great players make you better.

This is why I feel our oline has made some good progression as they go up against some relentless monsters every day in practice and they come in waves with every kind of body type and tool to beat them

That young man will have a long career in the League as long as he works hard and stays out of trouble. 2 straight strip sacks with recoveries in 2 weeks against elite competition. That man deserves his own thread today.

I agree with your post. I'm just curious to why you felt the need to say "as long as he works hard and stays out of trouble"

Seems a little strange to make such a statement considering that the kid has done nothing but work his tail off to the point where he, as a true freshman, is a part of the rotation on the best D-Line in the country. Also, Richt/Kool have both song Garvin's praises regarding his character.

I'm just curious to what you were implying by the statement, that's all!

I think it's very common for most gifted teenagers to become complacent when they have tremendous success. That was what I was thinking when I wrote the first part of the text in bold. Now, the second part of the sentence is common for individuals in their early adulthood. I know I got into a bunch of trouble when I was a younger man. I made mistakes that I would not make today. I'm not sure why I'm even responding to this comment, I suppose it's because you have no clue who I am or how I live my life. If you did, then you certainly would never think to ask me that.

BTW I wasn't IMPLYING anything, but meant exactly what I said. I wish the young man the very best.

Last edited:
Absolute freak.

I thought Jackson was impressive but Garvin is on another level. Even more explosive with more twitch and bend.

Advertisement
Back