1. FSU (#5 nationally)
2. Virginia (#8 )
3. Duke (#11)
4. UNC (#24)
5. Louisville (#29)
6. Miami (#30)

Last edited:
Advertisement
You are missing FSU at #5. But they are going to lose Vassell and Williams so they will drop once they declare for the draft

Thanks for posting.

I have to be honest, that lineup looks good but it is flawed. I may be the only person who noticed this but Isaiah Wong is more effective when he is not on the floor with Chris Lykes. No, I did not say he is a better player than Lykes, I said more effective.
Between Lykes, McGusty and Wong, all three prefer to play with the ball in their hands and they like to dribble the ball. Sometimes too much. None of the three are catch and shoot type of players and all three are at best, average defenders. With that being said, I think it would be in the best interest of the team if Isaiah comes off the bench, this allows him to be the focal point of the offense.
I know, it sounds crazy but all of Wong's best games and moments came when Lykes was injured or on the bench. Yes, against Va Tech both played but Lykes was on the bench when Wong was making those contested clutch shots.
The fifth starter should be Earl Timberlake as he is the best defensive player on the team. The other four starters will be seniors because Coach L loves older teams. I don't necessarily agree with it but Coach L is Coach L. That means Lykes, McGusty, Sam and Rodney will start. I know all of the reasons why it should not happen but there is one reason why it will happen. Coach L is loyal to his seniors. Lyke it or not.
The bench would be really good with Wong, Beverly, Cross, Walker and Brooks along with Gak and two other scholarship players. The only person who can stop them is........ Coach L. Especially if he only wants to play 7 guys for 30 minutes per game.
Ultimately, Coach L will decide how good next season will be.

Advertisement
Thanks for posting.

I have to be honest, that lineup looks good but it is flawed. I may be the only person who noticed this but Isaiah Wong is more effective when he is not on the floor with Chris Lykes. No, I did not say he is a better player than Lykes, I said more effective.
Between Lykes, McGusty and Wong, all three prefer to play with the ball in their hands and they like to dribble the ball. Sometimes too much. None of the three are catch and shoot type of players and all three are at best, average defenders. With that being said, I think it would be in the best interest of the team if Isaiah comes off the bench, this allows him to be the focal point of the offense.
I know, it sounds crazy but all of Wong's best games and moments came when Lykes was injured or on the bench. Yes, against Va Tech both played but Lykes was on the bench when Wong was making those contested clutch shots.
The fifth starter should be Earl Timberlake as he is the best defensive player on the team. The other four starters will be seniors because Coach L loves older teams. I don't necessarily agree with it but Coach L is Coach L. That means Lykes, McGusty, Sam and Rodney will start. I know all of the reasons why it should not happen but there is one reason why it will happen. Coach L is loyal to his seniors. Lyke it or not.
The bench would be really good with Wong, Beverly, Cross, Walker and Brooks along with Gak and two other scholarship players. The only person who can stop them is........ Coach L. Especially if he only wants to play 7 guys for 30 minutes per game.
I 100% agree with you regarding Wong playing better when Lykes is on the floor. Their games are very similar in style.

Sam should NOT be starting, but we all know L will do so, at least to begin the season.

Thanks for posting.

Agree that projected lineup is flawed.

I do think Brooks is an automatic starter up front, and Lykes and McGusty starting jobs are secure as well. I think Timberlake starts at the 3; it's his job to play himself out of in practices/early season games.

I think, like you, Wong should come off the bench -- for instant offense. That leaves, in my mind, Cross, Walker and Sam to compete for the remaining starting job! I think all three of those guys have a great opportunity there. Miller can give us limited minutes to provide Brooks some breathers.

Beverly is sorta the odd man out (made so by Wong's late season ascendance). Just hope he, unlike say James Palmer, can be patient.

Last edited:
Wong had 39 rebounds in the last 6 games. I think when he is relatively fresh, his athletic endurance allows him to hover around the basket a bit longer than the others on those "can't hit the ocean from the beach shots" we favor so much, and then get back on transition.

I'm hoping this will be true of some of the new guys as well, and Coach L will allow that. Carefully managing minutes and PT is a necessary ingredient for what I see as a long-standing failing; and coming off the bench for Wong might fit well with that strategy.

Advertisement
Wong had 39 rebounds in the last 6 games. I think when he is relatively fresh, his athletic endurance allows him to hover around the basket a bit longer than the others on those "can't hit the ocean from the beach shots" we favor so much, and then get back on transition.

I'm hoping this will be true of some of the new guys as well, and Coach L will allow that. Carefully managing minutes and PT is a necessary ingredient for what I see as a long-standing failing; and coming off the bench for Wong might fit well with that strategy.

100% agree.
I don't know why Coach L could not play every freshman 10 minutes a game. Then more time should be given as it is earned.
I cannot figure out how playing Sam 30 minutes a game benefits the team.
On paper, the team is 10 deep next season but the question mark is what will Coach L do.

This would be a good time for Blake James to put together a great non-conference schedule.

They should win the Cayman Islands tournament. None of those teams in there are really that threatening. The Big 10 will be solid again next year so maybe Miami will get a tough draw there in the Big 10-ACC challenge. Other than that, I doubt our joke of an AD will schedule anyone worth a **** in non conference since the ACC is always a tough go.

Advertisement
They should win the Cayman Islands tournament. None of those teams in there are really that threatening. The Big 10 will be solid again next year so maybe Miami will get a tough draw there in the Big 10-ACC challenge. Other than that, I doubt our joke of an AD will schedule anyone worth a **** in non conference since the ACC is always a tough go.

You make a valid point. I think soft non-conference scheduling is why Miami loses some close games in conference play. Yes, the ACC is normally the best conference in college basketball but to get a good seed in the NCAA tournament, you need to win or finish in the top 4 of the ACC.

With no games or recruiting going on, it would be a great time for Blake James to put together a really good non-conference schedule since Miami projects to be really good this upcoming year.

If I know L like I do I’d expect all the returning guys to start , then Timberlake and Cross jump in as starters towards conference time.

Advertisement
You make a valid point. I think soft non-conference scheduling is why Miami loses some close games in conference play. Yes, the ACC is normally the best conference in college basketball but to get a good seed in the NCAA tournament, you need to win or finish in the top 4 of the ACC.
For the last couple of years I always say to myself I will take it if Miami loses a game or two at most in non conference. 2018-2019 was a mess after losing to Seton Hall in the championship of the Wooden Classic or whatever it was. This year they lost two back to back in the Charleston Classic. I have a feeling the non conference schedule will be weak again so there really shouldn't be any excuse for Miami to lose more than a game in non con especially with the guys that are coming back and adding Cross, Timberlake, and hopefully a couple other big men.

With no games or recruiting going on, it would be a great time for Blake James to put together a really good non-conference schedule since Miami projects to be really good this upcoming year.

Half the non conferences slots are already taken with the three games in the Caymans, ACC/Big Ten Challenge, and the UCF return game. Best you can reasonably expect beyond that is a neutral, maybe a decent road game to open a home and home series, and three cupcakes to fill out the home slate.

Everybody should forget to tell Blake James when the quarantine is over.

Half the non conferences slots are already taken with the three games in the Caymans, ACC/Big Ten Challenge, and the UCF return game. Best you can reasonably expect beyond that is a neutral, maybe a decent road game to open a home and home series, and three cupcakes to fill out the home slate.

Actually, the Caymans Classic counts as one game but you are correct about the others.
Honestly, I want to avoid the cupcake games.

Advertisement
Back