Jon Rothstein 2020-21 Predictions

Combo guard is probably the correct term but it is TBD at this point.

Larranaga has said in post game interviews before that Beverly is the point guard. Is he more of a combo guard, probably, but Coach L is grooming him to run the point when Lykes is gone

Advertisement
That's my issue, Newton had tunnel vision and a bad jumper. Wong shares exactly those weaknesses.

TBD. Wong has had a small sample size at PG due to Coach L and his overly short leash with freshman.
It would be best to allow Wong to come off the bench and play PG to let him develop those skills.

Larranaga has said in post game interviews before that Beverly is the point guard. Is he more of a combo guard, probably, but Coach L is grooming him to run the point when Lykes is gone

Coach L says a lot and then does opposite. I have heard for two years in press conferences that we need bodies and have depth issues but we still have two scholarships available.

Bev has, by far, the best court vision and passing ability on the team. Couple that with his ability to drive the lane, breakdown the defense, and finish at the rim or find the open shooter, and his skill set is nearly perfectly tailored to play point guard in Jim's offense. All he really needs to do is improve his jumper.

Well, that and get his head out of his ***. Watching him play, it honestly looks like he's ok with losing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
a grad transfer big that can shoot. The team had the right idea with Sam it’s a shame his jumper never got to the point they needed it too

I agree. However, I think Anthony Walker will be making some jump shots from the stretch 4 spot this season.
But given Coach L's love of seniors, expect Sam to start.
The key will be how many minutes he plays compared to Walker.

...not to be a contrarian, but I most dearly would like to see a fairly agile Big that doesn't act surprised or fumbbly when passed the ball under the basket. We got plenty of shooting stars, comets, and blitzens already.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back