Jon Ford appreciation thread

Advertisement
I was so high on Ford after Kuligowski called him the best DT of the class. And he did start to flash as a sophomore. I think the DT coach turnover hurt him. Like a lot of the big uglies, he doesn't have as strong of an internal motivation to be great, needs external motivation from a coach he trusts and admires to get the best out of him. Maybe Stroud is that guy? Whatever the reason, he's finally showing some promise. He definitely should come back next season.

I give him **** but if you take him away from the dl the run d would be ****ed

He does a lot of the heavy lifting on run downs but doesn't get a lot of credit bc so much of that goes unrecognized.

JHH and Nesta are not guys that can handle doubles. Ford can. Miller can as well but Miller seems to wear down with too many reps. Ford is absolutely valuable inside.

Advertisement
I was so high on Ford after Kuligowski called him the best DT of the class. And he did start to flash as a sophomore. I think the DT coach turnover hurt him. Like a lot of the big uglies, he doesn't have as strong of an internal motivation to be great, needs external motivation from a coach he trusts and admires to get the best out of him. Maybe Stroud is that guy? Whatever the reason, he's finally showing some promise. He definitely should come back next season.
Wasn’t he the only DT in that class?

He does a lot of the heavy lifting on run downs but doesn't get a lot of credit bc so much of that goes unrecognized.

JHH and Nesta are not guys that can handle doubles. Ford can. Miller can as well but Miller seems to wear down with too many reps. Ford is absolutely valuable inside.
Covid type offseason seemed to hurt a guy like Miller most.. Seems he flashed way more last year and was inline for a breakout season..

Cribby and PSU Cane, I agree 💯❗💥

I said right after the game that Jon Ford was ballin’. He was one of the most valuable players yesterday in shutting down the best rushing attack in the ACC. The fans may not know his value, but if you ask the VT OL Coach and VT’s C, LG and RG, and they will tell you that 96 was a problem all day.

Advertisement
If he learns to hold his leverage he can be an all pro on the next level! He keeps trying to be pass rusher that’s his only problem but if he can put together a few more games and the senior bowl isn’t canceled he can ply on Sundays

Advertisement
JHH is best coming off the bench and playing on obvious passing downs, as of now. Let Ford and Nesta wear out the OL. That's when you'll see JHH make splash plays here and there. He's not ready for starting minutes yet, that's grown men type of stuff.

On to Ford, he's our DL against the the run. He's not a stat stuffer, but he's very important in clogging the middle and keeping LB's clean. That's essential trait for all defensive lines.

Advertisement
Beat me to starting a thread.

I think we usually just ask Ford to eat blocks (important) because he’s so big and strong but he can still move a bit. He can be active in the middle if we let him on stunts.
Feels like Diaz stunted a lot more than baker. Also feels like the dl is much more disruptive the more we stunt. Am I crazy on that? What’s the rational?

Feels like Diaz stunted a lot more than baker. Also feels like the dl is much more disruptive the more we stunt. Am I crazy on that? What’s the rational?
Naw, you not crazy, blaker baker is, that **** and his monotonous defensive play-calls, he doesn't have d-line stunts in his play-book, on obvious blitzes with zone-coverage.

Its actually good to see alot of people posting who actually understand football, ford is the ken norton of the d-line, without the quick feet but he holds it down in there and jade should send his jersey to the ncaa's head seamstress, them ****'s was holding and ripping at that man's jersey all game long yesterday!

Advertisement
Back