Jon Feliciano

So here's the thing.

You can't defend Kehoe AND Swasey. Either we are strong and have bad technique in short yardage.....OR.....our technique is fine but we are weak.

Advertisement
In 2013 add to that... Hurns and Dorsett at WR, Duke at RB, and Walford at TE. That's basically the entire starting offense in 2013 that are starting in the NFL two years later. That team should have won 11 games.

So here's the thing.

You can't defend Kehoe AND Swasey. Either we are strong and have bad technique in short yardage.....OR.....our technique is fine but we are weak.

Flowers was the strongest guy at the combine and Linder was close. Wouldn't say we were weak.

There are a lot of things that go into short-yardage, including the tone set by the play caller and head coach. We also had trouble finding a short-yardage back and did stupid things like running stretch plays with Gus Edwards.

did stupid things like running stretch plays with Gus Edwards.

Stretch plays on short yardage is stupid? I would think that the longer our guys had to stay on block and the more gaps we create for linebackers to shoot would benefit us greatly. Going north/south is so 1970's.

Stretch plays on short yardage is stupid? I would think that the longer our guys had to stay on block and the more gaps we create for linebackers to shoot would benefit us greatly. Going north/south is so 1970's.

Gus is 240 pounds with poor balance. Why go horizontal with one yard to go?

Advertisement
Not only that, stretch plays are slow developing and the issues are compounded with a slowish back. That's a death knell for short yardage.

U did not see what he did there...

You are 100% correct.

Not only that, stretch plays are slow developing and the issues are compounded with a slowish back. That's a death knell for short yardage.
We had some incredibly dumb coaches

U did not see what he did there...

Ah, I am dumb. Still haven't had my coffee. Well played, lamp.

Advertisement
So here's the thing.

Flowers was the strongest guy at the combine and Linder was close. Wouldn't say we were weak.

There are a lot of things that go into short-yardage, including the tone set by the play caller and head coach. We also had trouble finding a short-yardage back and did stupid things like running stretch plays with Gus Edwards.

Ok but were we quick off the ball? Did we have good bend/flexibility? When we pulled were we able to get there in time to seal? Did we have the gas at that point in the game to be one step faster than the opponent?

I'm glad Flowers and Linder were good bench pressers. That tells me nothing about their functional football strength/speed/conditioning.

On the flip side: schematically I saw stretch plays, but more often than not it was just getting beat man on man up the middle. Miami has struggled to get a push for years. The 2003 Fiesta bowl, where we featured future NFL OL and RBs, saw us getting smacked by OSU to the tune of 65 total rushing yards. OSUs best DL was Will Smith, an NFL jag. And we managed a whopping 65 total yards on the ground.

Ok but were we quick off the ball? Did we have good bend/flexibility? When we pulled were we able to get there in time to seal? Did we have the gas at that point in the game to be one step faster than the opponent?

I don't think we had problems physically. Those guys were beasts. Strong, explosive and not fat. There is a reason they were drafted high and started as rookies.

One of the interesting things about our offense is that we ran so many zone runs, despite the size we had up front. I was told they did that to accommodate Duke since he was so good on the outside zone runs. I always felt guys like Flowers and Feliciano were best suited for a Stanford-type running game.

I don't think we had problems physically. Those guys were beasts. Strong, explosive and not fat. There is a reason they were drafted high and started as rookies.

One of the interesting things about our offense is that we ran so many zone runs, despite the size we had up front. I was told they did that to accommodate Duke since he was so good on the outside zone runs. I always felt guys like Flowers and Feliciano were best suited for a Stanford-type running game.

Yea i agree and think our rushing issues can be attributed to 2 things:

1. The tone set by the head coach: Golden just didn't have the i'm gunna run it down your throat mentality and his softness rubbed off on the players (not saying the players were soft).

2. Coley likes to run a goofy, weird schemed offense: We've seen a million WR screen passes on 1st and 2nd downs. Why do that when you have top NFL talent on the OL. I chalk it up to that's what Coley is comfortable with and the style offense he wants to run.

Advertisement
Ereck Flowers, Brandon Linder, Jon Feliciano and Seantrel Henderson all started on the OL together for us. That's 4 NFL starting caliber guys. How were we not better?

Better question. Why do UM fans want kehoe gone.

How many of those guys did Kehoe recruit?

Stoutland
All were highly rated with the exception of feliciano so that really has no bearing....especially considering stout left in 2011.

Advertisement
Feliciano was not bad here.

He was very solid and was for most of his career.

The dude even played some RT lol

From Raiders' official site:

Jon Feliciano Earns First Start – After being a healthy inactive for most of the Raiders games this season, rookie guard Jon Feliciano earned his first career start Sunday against the Packers. In total, Feliciano played 60 snaps (78%) and was a key cog in a Raiders offensive line that allowed just two sacks of quarterback Derek Carr.

Advertisement
Back