Johnson #88

Advertisement
Advertisement
This young man is hungry and he sees an opportunity with Hodges in the doghouse. Hopefully the coaches won't ignore what was clearly obvious. The young man has enough talent to make a difference.

Opportunities has created some pretty special players from this "U".

This dude can play ... hopefully the coaching staff saw what we saw.
He was the one WR I was most impressed with. I hope he gets a scholarship and a ton of PT. I like him as a big body WR. He could play TE. He looked as athletic as Pitts from UF with a body of Anquan Bolden.

This kid is a mismatch for any defense. He has got to be a part of the offense. I just don't see any DB or LB stopping him. What a diamond in the ruff.

Advertisement
He was the one WR I was most impressed with. I hope he gets a scholarship and a ton of PT. I like him as a big body WR. He could play TE. He looked as athletic as Pitts from UF with a body of Anquan Bolden.

This kid is a mismatch for any defense. He has got to be a part of the offense. I just don't see any DB or LB stopping him. What a diamond in the ruff.
Haha holy sh*t dude.

See: Spring game overreaction thread

Advertisement
As Bill Parcells often said, “either they bite as puppies, or they won’t bite at all.”

This kid was making plays from the get go. Not afraid of the stage. Showed excellent hands, ability to make contested catches, good quickness/elusiveness for a man his size, and ability to get YAC. He also showed toughness and strength.

Wiggins to me is done here. It’s all mental for him at this point, in my opinion. He has lots of natural ability, but can’t put it together when it matters. It’s a shame.

Pope is an enigma. Showed flashes today like he tends to do, but still drops way too many passes to be a starting WR at the U.

Give guys like Johnson a chance to play if they show that they belong. To me, today he showed that he belongs.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who cares if he can run routes, block and... what's that other thing? Oh yeah, catch the darn ball. People need to forget speed when it comes to WR. Yeah, you don't want a guy that runs a 6.5 40, but the difference between a 4.5 guy and a 4.7 guy is minimal once you put on pads. Reggie Wayne wasn't a burner, but he did everything right. I'm taking a guy like that every day over a fast guy like Pope or Wiggins that can't catch the ball.

Guys get open by doing all the little things right, not by being the flash and simply outrunning everyone. If that's your only skill as a WR, you aren't going to last long.

Who cares if he can run routes, block and... what's that other thing? Oh yeah, catch the darn ball. People need to forget speed when it comes to WR. Yeah, you don't want a guy that runs a 6.5 40, but the difference between a 4.5 guy and a 4.7 guy is minimal once you put on pads. Reggie Wayne wasn't a burner, but he did everything right. I'm taking a guy like that every day over a fast guy like Pope or Wiggins that can't catch the ball.

Guys get open by doing all the little things right, not by being the flash and simply outrunning everyone. If that's your only skill as a WR, you aren't going to last long.
Appeared to lumber a bit in the open field after a catch. But he's pretty big, so that's not necessarily an indicator. I was just curious how fast he is. Had a big game, no question. Even with that, probably unlikely he'll see the field much in the fall. H-back is an interesting option, and if he blocks, reps at WR may not be out of the question. Unsure how much Likens values that attribute. Will say the rotation Likens deployed at WR last season was questionable at best. We're watching Rob. Just hoping the Smith's and Restrepo's of the room get adequate reps this fall.

Appeared to lumber a bit in the open field after a catch. But he's pretty big, so that's not necessarily an indicator. I was just curious how fast he is. Had a big game, no question. Even with that, probably unlikely he'll see the field much in the fall. H-back is an interesting option, and if he blocks, reps at WR may not be out of the question. Unsure how much Likens values that attribute. Will say the rotation Likens deployed at WR last season was questionable at best. We're watching Rob. Just hoping the Smith's and Restrepo's of the room get adequate reps this fall.
You said something that is more important than you could possibly imagine. "After a catch." I don't care if he runs like Fat Albert after he catches the ball. It beats the heck out of guys that run fast after dropping the ball. :)

Advertisement
Back