Johnson #88

Advertisement
You said something that is more important than you could possibly imagine. "After a catch." I don't care if he runs like Fat Albert after he catches the ball. It beats the heck out of guys that run fast after dropping the ball. :)
I need to re-watch, not sure who 88 was running routes against (1st or 2nd team). And you're right, catching the ball is paramount. However, separation is a factor too - it keeps qb's from having to force the ball into tight windows that often result in turnovers. And that's why our whipping boys keep getting reps, as frustrating as it is.

Advertisement
My eyes don't lie and most fans saw the same thing I did. He had 5 catches for 58 yards. Showed nice moves after the catch. Big body WR with moves. He's going to be a problem.

Get on board. This kid can play!!!
Sure man. He's a combination of Kyle Pitts and Anquan Bolden. Why stop there? We have a Megatron clone sitting right here as a walk on! What unimaginable luck.

Advertisement
The shift backfires on Clemson!!!! How you play a shift on a guy that has 4 hits to the right side in this series 2 of them being HR's is beyond me.

Advertisement
It’s all up to Lashlee to put it together. Design plays for the guys on hand!

We have players that can threaten the defense at every level.

Take the top off with speed: Rambo, Smith, Wiggins.

RAC slots: Harley, Restrepo, Pope

Big target: Mallory, Jones, Redding

We got promising freshmen coming too.

Let’s not waste plays. Deploy these guys and call plays based on how their strengths fit together.Even back since Richt we would just call plays based on the system and waste downs throwing incompletions to guys running routes that don’t match their skill.

This concept is how offensive gurus have high producing units regardless of talent level and why talented teams struggle with production. Let your guys do what they do well. Build the system and game plan on that.

Who cares if he can run routes, block and... what's that other thing? Oh yeah, catch the darn ball. People need to forget speed when it comes to WR. Yeah, you don't want a guy that runs a 6.5 40, but the difference between a 4.5 guy and a 4.7 guy is minimal once you put on pads. Reggie Wayne wasn't a burner, but he did everything right. I'm taking a guy like that every day over a fast guy like Pope or Wiggins that can't catch the ball.

Guys get open by doing all the little things right, not by being the flash and simply outrunning everyone. If that's your only skill as a WR, you aren't going to last long.
Agree, number one skill of a WR is catching the ball : 88 was so smooth catching the ball, it was effortless, the other kid who also showed hands was 84 :

Advertisement
I need to re-watch, not sure who 88 was running routes against (1st or 2nd team). And you're right, catching the ball is paramount. However, separation is a factor too - it keeps qb's from having to force the ball into tight windows that often result in turnovers. And that's why our whipping boys keep getting reps, as frustrating as it is.
Separation is important but you got to catch the rock, watching the bowl game was so frustrating, at least 6 major drops in the game :

Rambo, KSmith, Harley, X, then 88

That said, I fully expect one of the freshmen to come in and eat! One of the three should be able to catch better than 6&8.

Last edited:
It's only a matter of time before the inevitable begins...

"Manny is playing upperclassman Dante Johnson over the more talented freshman Romello Brinson!"

While everyone was blackout drunk from tailgating for 12 hours, they didn't notice him playing meaningful snaps against NC State.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back