Johhnie Dixon The Opening Highlights

Am I the only one who finds these 7 on 7s extremely pointless?

nope, especially when it comes to linemen. qb's get elevated after dominating 7-on-7's yet how hard is it to look good when you have no pass rush and 5 seconds to throw the ball? not to mention not facing any comple coverages. it should be used as a tool to evaluate, but a very small tool. the best way to evaluate kids is to see them in a live game setting.

Advertisement

nope, especially when it comes to linemen. qb's get elevated after dominating 7-on-7's yet how hard is it to look good when you have no pass rush and 5 seconds to throw the ball? not to mention not facing any comple coverages. it should be used as a tool to evaluate, but a very small tool. the best way to evaluate kids is to see them in a live game setting.

yep. I don't like it when recruiting services use 7 on 7's to evaluate QBs. Hate to say it, but its part of the reason HBK has shot up the rankings (not the only reason). Ditto for Sean White who struggles mightily when faced with a pass rush.

yep. I don't like it when recruiting services use 7 on 7's to evaluate QBs. Hate to say it, but its part of the reason HBK has shot up the rankings (not the only reason). Ditto for Sean White who struggles mightily when faced with a pass rush.

same with driskel when he came out. i think the kid threw for like 1200 yards which was putrid. but he went to camp and dominated 7-on-7's and people fell in love with his 6'4 220 lb. frame and out of nowhere he's the #1 ranked qb in the country. its absurd. actual production seems to be valued less and less.

1) Somebody told me a month back that Dixon catches a lot of balls with his chest because he is afraid of using his hands. Looking at this video and watching his performance at the Miami camp, I noticed he has gotten better with trusting his hands for the catch. I don't really consider it a bad habit but it was something to monitor.

What WR is afraid to use his hands? You mean afraid that he'll drop balls (i.e. lack of confidence)?

Advertisement
I think Kaaya and White rose more because of their elite 11 performances & miami commit (Kaaya) more than the Opening 7on7s

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Somebody told me a month back that Dixon catches a lot of balls with his chest because he is afraid of using his hands. Looking at this video and watching his performance at the Miami camp, I noticed he has gotten better with trusting his hands for the catch. I don't really consider it a bad habit but it was something to monitor.

What WR is afraid to use his hands? You mean afraid that he'll drop balls (i.e. lack of confidence)?

yes

I used to be with the notion that 7 on 7's are pointless until I realized it gives you an opportunity to see some under the radar kids explode. No one and I mean NO ONE knew who Shawn Burgess Becker was before that 7 on 7 in April, He balled out and then two weeks later gets amn Alabama and Miami offer. Sam Bruce Jr., Ronnie Huggins . To say that they are completely pointless is a tad much but I can understand why people can make that claim.

Matt Porter ‏@mattyports 4m
Dwyer WR Johnnie Dixon is on track to graduate in December, will chose between #Canes, #Bama and #OhioState.

Advertisement
For those who maybe have seen the players live,or better at reading film, how would you compare Rudolph vs Dixon? I know Rudolph blew up around the time he decommitted

I used to be with the notion that 7 on 7's are pointless until I realized it gives you an opportunity to see some under the radar kids explode. No one and I mean NO ONE knew who Shawn Burgess Becker was before that 7 on 7 in April, He balled out and then two weeks later gets amn Alabama and Miami offer. Sam Bruce Jr., Ronnie Huggins . To say that they are completely pointless is a tad much but I can understand why people can make that claim.

don't think they are completely pointless, but i do feel they are overrated for evaluating certain positions. if not outright a bad evaluation tool in regards to qb's and linemen. it takes away the most important aspect of evaluating those positions imo.

i think they are useful in guaging skill talent, for example wr/db 1-on-1's. or seeing how a linebacker plays in space. but overall i believe it should be a minor tool, not the be all end all that it appears to have become.

Advertisement

don't think they are completely pointless, but i do feel they are overrated for evaluating certain positions. if not outright a bad evaluation tool in regards to qb's and linemen. it takes away the most important aspect of evaluating those positions imo.

i think they are useful in guaging skill talent, for example wr/db 1-on-1's. or seeing how a linebacker plays in space. but overall i believe it should be a minor tool, not the be all end all that it appears to have become.

Says who? I think recruiting sites are the ones overvaluing it more than coaches. I don't think coaches use 7on7 that much to evaluate. In the case of SBB, it gained him exposure. Then the multiple staffs either a. saw him live or b. heard about him through whatever means. Then I figure they do their research on the kid - Film, highlights, contact head coach, etc. then they pulled the trigger. I agree with you it's good to see a couple of different things, but shouldn't be the finally judgement. It helps to get kids exposure, Sean White was underrated and now he's finally getting justified exposure/offers. (Committed to Auburn last week or so).

Says who? I think recruiting sites are the ones overvaluing it more than coaches. I don't think coaches use 7on7 that much to evaluate. In the case of SBB, it gained him exposure. Then the multiple staffs either a. saw him live or b. heard about him through whatever means. Then I figure they do their research on the kid - Film, highlights, contact head coach, etc. then they pulled the trigger. I agree with you it's good to see a couple of different things, but shouldn't be the finally judgement. It helps to get kids exposure, Sean White was underrated and now he's finally getting justified exposure/offers. (Committed to Auburn last week or so).

that's basically who i was talking about...recruiting sites. a kid will be a 2-star then go have a good 7on7 event and be a 4-star the next week, what??? if you go around to different sites fans will almost dismiss everything a guy did on a field in favor of a 7on7 event. they can be a stud one week, struggle a bit, and then before you know it some unknown kid is better because he looked good in shorts running around with no contact, it's just absurd.

that's basically who i was talking about...recruiting sites. a kid will be a 2-star then go have a good 7on7 event and be a 4-star the next week, what??? if you go around to different sites fans will almost dismiss everything a guy did on a field in favor of a 7on7 event. they can be a stud one week, struggle a bit, and then before you know it some unknown kid is better because he looked good in shorts running around with no contact, it's just absurd.

My fault, thought you meant by staffs as well. I agree on your point, but sometimes it's warranted in special cases. (SBB) The sites often dont have a kid ranked & once he commits to a UF, Bama, Miami, USC, etc. he becomes a 3/4*. If you have a recruiting data base on the kid, shouldn't your site have already evaluated him instead of leaving him unranked? I know they can't possibly evaluate all the D1 players in America but there are some flaws with how they evaluate/update ranks. That being said I think 24/7 still does the best job out there then ESPN.

Advertisement
7 on 7 is a nice measure of physical abilities in a controlled setting. But if it doesn't support what they do on the field (ie Driskel, White, plethora of receivers and DBs who can't handle the physicality), it can be counter productive. Checks and balance.

Advertisement
Back