Joey Gatewood

Gus is coaching for his job, got into this season with his seat in flames, but made a political decision on QB1.
Got it

You don’t think big money boosters “ help “ coaches make decisions ? Lol .

This has been going on forever ,especially for second generation qbs

Kids dad is a former auburn great and he’s a five star recruit. You can’t be this naive

Advertisement
Kid has no chance playing behind Nix. He's still young, but so is Nix. Hopefully he will catch on somewhere he can play.

You don’t think big money boosters “ help “ coaches make decisions ? Lol .

This has been going on forever ,especially for second generation qbs

Kids dad is a former auburn great and he’s a five star recruit. You can’t be this naive
Big money boosters would prefer to see the program fail by starting old buddy's son instead of the good QB? You can't be this naive.

Maybe there was a lobbying for Nix, but you're a fanboy if you think Gatewwod got robbed of something that was his. It's ok to be a fan of a player, but not take as an insult when it doesn't works out for him

Advertisement
Jarren had every offer you could want including from all of the big names. He’s not a better prospect than both because he’s a much worse passer than definitely Jarren and even n’kosi and it isn’t close. That’s the #1 aspect of how good a qb is not how good they can run and apparently people have forgotten that
We just gonna disagree on that my man.

There is no number 1 aspect in a qb, especially at the College level other than winning.

Certainly you have to be able to throw the rock with some degree of accuracy. But theres alot of accurate QBs who ain't won ****.

Nothing from Gatewood's college career says he's better then want we have right now. If you're looking at 247 for his offer list then you haven't watched him play at Auburn. I'll pass on him

Why do you guys like Gatewood so much? Because he’s not here? I’ve seen nothing from him to indicate he’s a good passer.

62% completion in HS, I think against good competition. Even if he doesn't pan out I think he has potential to get moved to another position at his size. I think Garcia is gone as a recruit and either Perry or JW will transfer (not counting Martell as a QB). So in a couple years Canes will have Matocha, Van Dyke, and Williams or Perry. If JW or NP aren't the answer, then what? I don't see a huge downside to bringing this kid in to compete. Maybe he doesn't win the gig but I think the potential is there.

Advertisement
He would be #4 on our depth chart...maybe #5.

Hard pass.

Bo Nix is ******* trash and if you can't beat out that bum, what does it say about you?

The last Auburn transfer we took here was some damaged goods, man. He, too, was bottom of the depth chart fodder.

...and we suck...

Advertisement
Good point.

Have him transfer in and move him to WR.

Worked for Tate...

I think it's a bit premature to say Martell is a waste. He just started at WR. A big criticism of the WR room is that they cant learn the offense. Martell seems to be a good student of the game. If he focuses on learning WR skills and can shave .1 off his 40 time (so he is in the high 4.5 low 4.6 range- not impossible) I wouldn't be surprised if he sees the field a lot next year as a shifty little WR.

A 6'5" 240 lb. athlete with a 4.2 shuttle time can do a lot of things. You cant teach size.

In terms of saying he couldn't beat out Nix and that he stinks- Jarren Williams couldn't beat Rosier or Perry, now he's the starting QB. Enos seems to be pretty good and coaching QBs, so at least he does one thing well. Also, Gatewood's HS completion % is much better than Williams's 62% to 57%. I wouldnt say Gatewood's college career is a bust quite yet.

I think it's a bit premature to say Martell is a waste. He just started at WR. A big criticism of the WR room is that they cant learn the offense. Martell seems to be a good student of the game. If he focuses on learning WR skills and can shave .1 off his 40 time (so he is in the high 4.5 low 4.6 range- not impossible) I wouldn't be surprised if he sees the field a lot next year as a shifty little WR.

A 6'5" 240 lb. athlete with a 4.2 shuttle time can do a lot of things. You cant teach size.

In terms of saying he couldn't beat out Nix and that he stinks- Jarren Williams couldn't beat Rosier or Perry, now he's the starting QB. Enos seems to be pretty good and coaching QBs, so at least he does one thing well. Also, Gatewood's HS completion % is much better than Williams's 62% to 57%. I wouldnt say Gatewood's college career is a bust quite yet.
So he’s a bigger version of martell but even a worse thrower, that’s a no for me( martell at 5’11 215 was a 3.96 shuttle 4.72 40 guy)

Auburn QB decided to transfer today. Already burned his redshirt this year playing in 7 games. Is from Jacksonville and Auburn fans seem to be pretty ****ed he wasn’t given more of a chance with Nix’s struggles lately. I normally don’t post about transfers but this seems like a guy who might be worth pursuing since he has to sit a year. Would provide a good option to replace one of our guys if they transfer over the off-season. Any Duval members have the scouting report on him?

He was actually not the primary passing quarterback for his high school. He came in and was kind of used like Tebow at UF during his freshman year when he backed up Leak. Bartram had 3 D1 QBs his senior year if I remember correctly. Great athlete, but not very accurate from what I saw. I’d take him though... pretty sure he redshirted for Auburn last year though.

Advertisement
Why do you guys like Gatewood so much? Because he’s not here? I’ve seen nothing from him to indicate he’s a good passer.

You know our fans man! This is the other new Miami, back in the day we would never talk this!! I remember earl little was looked at twice/three times (glad he came)

I’d definitely take him as an athlete. But I get the feeling he plans on going where he can be QB1.

Advertisement
Back