Joe Thomas, PF from the basketball team

Are we assuming that all 6'5"-6'7" basketball players make good TE's?
That's the jump I believe Lex is trying to make, at least in this case.

Or is this kid actually a freak athlete, like Graham?
He is not, but Lex apparently thinks so. To each their own.

Thomas was a decent player, decent athlete, and he was good for what he was. He gave us spark in spots where we needed him from time to time, but he wasn't an Eric Swoope-level athlete...much less Jimmy Graham.

I am willing to make that jump because a gigantic athlete is a gigantic athlete. Swoope is the most athletic of the three, I found Joe Thomas' basketball game almost reminiscent of Jimmy Graham's; big athletes who were not very good at basketball. He has basketball player athletic abilities. Enough said. He definitely could play tight end.

Advertisement
Just wondering, cause you know how it is. A few basketball players excel at TE within the past 40 years and all of a sudden every mediocre Small Forward is a potential TE prospect.

While I feel you, some players just look like they have the ability. Like they could transfer over to football. I feel like Joe Thomas looks like a football player.

Comparing graham a to joe Thomas is absurd. Thomas is no where and I mean no where near as athletic as jimmy is

Nowhere near is a stretch.

If you watch Graham's and Thomas' basketball highlights, you'll notice they're incredibly similar players. High motor, athletic, just not very good basketball players. Jumbo athletes. I feel Thomas could burn linebackers and get open, make jumpball catches like Walford did last year. But he's got 3 inches on Walford.

I'm srry Idk what film u are watching that u think how Thomas is half the athlete jimmy graham currently is. I just don't see it

I find their athleticism similar honestly. Jimmy Graham was a marginally better basketball player. As human beings I think they're pretty similar athletes.

Anyone who watched Thomas knows he isn't anywhere close to a freak athlete. More of a big burly guy that got by on hustle...and was benched for a MASSIVE amount of the season by a team that needed help in the paint.

Swoope....that's the type of athlete you look for. And even once you find the right athlete, total crapshoot as far as finding a kid with the temperament to make the switch.

Who knows if Thomas has the temperament to make the switch. I think he would probably have at least a season better than Jimmy Graham's statistically: 17 rec, 213 yards, 12.5 avg and 5 TDs.

Anyone who watched Thomas knows he isn't anywhere close to a freak athlete. More of a big burly guy that got by on hustle...and was benched for a MASSIVE amount of the season by a team that needed help in the paint.

Swoope....that's the type of athlete you look for. And even once you find the right athlete, total crapshoot as far as finding a kid with the temperament to make the switch.

This. Also most of these kids went to the bball court and shied away from the football field for a reason. Just because you are 6'6-6'7 240 and a great athlete with hands doesn't mean you still have the ambition to go over the middle anymore once Kam Chancellor rings your bell a couple of times.

Charles Barkley, who would be at the top of the list of NBA guys who could be a great ftball player because of his skillset, said he participated in one football practice and realized it took a certain type of crazy to want to play the sport.

But you can't just assume because he chose basketball he wouldn't then go back to playing football... Like Jimmy Graham...

Advertisement
MsYDCEZ.jpg

Absolutely brilliant! :hunt_dog_lol:

Are we assuming that all 6'5"-6'7" basketball players make good TE's?
That's the jump I believe Lex is trying to make, at least in this case.

Or is this kid actually a freak athlete, like Graham?
He is not, but Lex apparently thinks so. To each their own.

Thomas was a decent player, decent athlete, and he was good for what he was. He gave us spark in spots where we needed him from time to time, but he wasn't an Eric Swoope-level athlete...much less Jimmy Graham.

I am willing to make that jump because a gigantic athlete is a gigantic athlete. Swoope is the most athletic of the three, I found Joe Thomas' basketball game almost reminiscent of Jimmy Graham's; big athletes who were not very good at basketball. He has basketball player athletic abilities. Enough said. He definitely could play tight end.
But you're really reaching trying to compare Thomas' athleticism to Graham's. In terms of rankings, it's more like:

1) Swoope

2) Graham

3) Kamari Murphy

4) Thomas

So, your assumption is just based on that Thomas was on the same athletic squad as and has similar size to Graham/Swoope. Dats it. That, and a nearly 30 second highlight video doesn't convince me nor anyone else that Thomas "definitely could play tight end".

Has he ever even put on a pair of pads before??? Or is this pipedream just you continually talking out of your ***??? Those questions are rhetorical, for the record.

Comparing graham a to joe Thomas is absurd. Thomas is no where and I mean no where near as athletic as jimmy is

Nowhere near is a stretch.

If you watch Graham's and Thomas' basketball highlights, you'll notice they're incredibly similar players. High motor, athletic, just not very good basketball players. Jumbo athletes. I feel Thomas could burn linebackers and get open, make jumpball catches like Walford did last year. But he's got 3 inches on Walford.

I'm srry Idk what film u are watching that u think how Thomas is half the athlete jimmy graham currently is. I just don't see it

I find their athleticism similar honestly. Jimmy Graham was a marginally better basketball player. As human beings I think they're pretty similar athletes.

Not many people IN ANY SPORT are as gifted athletically as Jimmy Graham.

He ran a mid-4.5 at 6'6"+ with a 36" vertical (i believe). That's kinda freakish, even for a basketball player. (the average vertical in the NFL is 28")

This. Also most of these kids went to the bball court and shied away from the football field for a reason. Just because you are 6'6-6'7 240 and a great athlete with hands doesn't mean you still have the ambition to go over the middle anymore once Kam Chancellor rings your bell a couple of times.

Charles Barkley, who would be at the top of the list of NBA guys who could be a great ftball player because of his skillset, said he participated in one football practice and realized it took a certain type of crazy to want to play the sport.

But you can't just assume because he chose basketball he wouldn't then go back to playing football... Like Jimmy Graham...

(long sigh) the dog days of the offseason. Sometimes I forget how crazy some of these threads get when there is not real football/recruiting news to report. Ok Lex, you got it..Give ole Joe Thomas a shot. He wont last a week.

Advertisement
Has he ever even put on a pair of pads before???

Swoope didn't put on a pair of pads till He got to the league.
Good on him. He was able to adjust & go due to his higher level of athleticism. My money would be on Joe Thomas not being able to make that same transition because he's nowhere near the athlete Swoope is.

I might be willing to soften that stance IF Thomas has some kind of football background, even Pop Warner ball, to where he would have some idea of what he's getting into. Any experience would help.

My money would be on Joe Thomas not being able to make that same transition because he's nowhere near the athlete Swoope is.

Of course JT's not the same type of athlete that Swoope is, but neither were Antonio Gates or Julius Thomas.

My money would be on Joe Thomas not being able to make that same transition because he's nowhere near the athlete Swoope is.

Of course JT's not the same type of athlete that Swoope is, but neither were Antonio Gates or Julius Thomas.
But they were still better athletes than Joe Thomas. That's the point. Joe's only a decent athlete and a decent basketball player. I simply don't think he could make the transition.

If he decides to try and proves me wrong, so be it. I just don't see it happening.

Advertisement
In any event, I agree with LexZapata..."Joe Thomas looks like a football player".

BTW, I'm 2-0 on that eye test so far (Graham & Swoope).

Advertisement
Back