Joe Thomas, PF from the basketball team

LexZapata

Freshman
Joe Thomas is 6'7", 235 according to ESPN. I feel we may have another Jimmy Graham, Erik Swoope situation here. Graham is 6'7", 265 and Swoope is 6'5", 246, both having certainly put on weight since entering the league. Swoope made the Colts practice squad as a free agent. Graham on the other hand, in the awkward transitional season into playing football from basketball made 17 receptions for 213 yards, a 12.5 average. That's a quality red zone target for a promising young quarterback. And It could really be Joe Thomas cashing in on the NCAA. From Miami but went to Niagara, transferred back to Miami because Laranagga loves the senior waiver wire. His eligibility in basketball is up but can't he still play a year of football? He could turn into a first round talent in one year of playing. The dude put up 1.3 points and 2.1 rebounds as a senior. He could really cash in as a jumbo athlete in the NFL in two years. It's really worth a shot for him. Julius Thomas was a college basketball player. And Antonio Gates. And Tony Gonzalez. He really is a good athlete, catches an alley oop at a high point, if you can do that you can leap for touchdown catches high in the back of the end zone. Here's his senior day footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77_Fqz0QNGQ . I myself don't know how I would but I'd like to pass my thoughts along to Al Golden, Jim Larranagga and Joe Thomas. Help me send it to them.

Advertisement
Comparing graham a to joe Thomas is absurd. Thomas is no where and I mean no where near as athletic as jimmy is

Jimmy Graham played basketball? So did Gonzalez and Gates?! Mind asplosion. Why don't the announcers ever talk about this?

He started college in the fall of 2010. His eligibility is done.

And the football team's deepest position this year is tight end. I think it would be tough for him to find the field. Moot point though.

Advertisement
Jimmy Graham averaged 4 pts, 6 rebs his senior year. You can't say Joe Thomas wouldn't do well as a football player. Because nobody expected Jimmy Graham to do well either. And I really don't see the TE position as one of our deepest. Dobard is our only tight end to have seen the field. Chris Herndon was a sparingly used HB, Njoku redshirted, Jake O'Donnell hasn't seen the field in 3 years here, Jerome Washington just got here and needs work. Why not throw another guy into the mix? And for Joe Thomas why not give it a try? He may be the best athlete of any of the names I just mentioned, he's as tall as O'Donnell (6'7") who may be a JAG anyways but Thomas is at least a proven athlete, even if he's not a great basketball player. We've seen time and time again pedestrian basketball player turn into superstar NFL player.

MsYDCEZ.jpg

Comparing graham a to joe Thomas is absurd. Thomas is no where and I mean no where near as athletic as jimmy is

Nowhere near is a stretch.

If you watch Graham's and Thomas' basketball highlights, you'll notice they're incredibly similar players. High motor, athletic, just not very good basketball players. Jumbo athletes. I feel Thomas could burn linebackers and get open, make jumpball catches like Walford did last year. But he's got 3 inches on Walford.

Advertisement

And the football team's deepest position this year is tight end. I think it would be tough for him to find the field. Moot point though.

I don't believe his eligibility is up. Even if you redshirt and then play 4 years in one sport, I believe you still retain eligibility for one year in another sport.

I don't believe his eligibility is up. Even if you redshirt and then play 4 years in one sport, I believe you still retain eligibility for one year in another sport.

You have five years to play four years of sport from the day you start college on a full-time basis. This kid started college in September of 2010. He has until September of 2015 to play four years of a given sport. Yes, he could play a 5th year of another sport but that does not stop the clock. Only military service or an NCAA approved church mission can stop your clock. A second sport would have to replace a redshirt year.

Big Red was an underwhelming serviceable College basketball Power Forward.

Let's not make him out to be Tim James or Dwayne Collins.

Freak of a Tight End though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Are we assuming that all 6'5"-6'7" basketball players make good TE's?

Or is this kid actually a freak athlete, like Graham?

Are we assuming that all 6'5"-6'7" basketball players make good TE's?
That's the jump I believe Lex is trying to make, at least in this case.

Or is this kid actually a freak athlete, like Graham?
He is not, but Lex apparently thinks so. To each their own.

Thomas was a decent player, decent athlete, and he was good for what he was. He gave us spark in spots where we needed him from time to time, but he wasn't an Eric Swoope-level athlete...much less Jimmy Graham.

Just wondering, cause you know how it is. A few basketball players excel at TE within the past 40 years and all of a sudden every mediocre Small Forward is a potential TE prospect.

Advertisement
Anyone who watched Thomas knows he isn't anywhere close to a freak athlete. More of a big burly guy that got by on hustle...and was benched for a MASSIVE amount of the season by a team that needed help in the paint.

Swoope....that's the type of athlete you look for. And even once you find the right athlete, total crapshoot as far as finding a kid with the temperament to make the switch.

Just wondering, cause you know how it is. A few basketball players excel at TE within the past 40 years and all of a sudden every mediocre Small Forward is a potential TE prospect.

I can see where the idea comes from. A kid growing up who's taller than everyone is going to be pushed into basketball. The kid ends up being 6'-6" tall and he almost never sees anyone taller than him. Then he gets to college and has to guard guys taller than him everyday. If/when they realize that the NBA isn't really an option, they think, "man I should have listened to Coach Macho. He can make me an NFL athlete..."

Anyone who watched Thomas knows he isn't anywhere close to a freak athlete. More of a big burly guy that got by on hustle...and was benched for a MASSIVE amount of the season by a team that needed help in the paint.

Swoope....that's the type of athlete you look for. And even once you find the right athlete, total crapshoot as far as finding a kid with the temperament to make the switch.

This. Also most of these kids went to the bball court and shied away from the football field for a reason. Just because you are 6'6-6'7 240 and a great athlete with hands doesn't mean you still have the ambition to go over the middle anymore once Kam Chancellor rings your bell a couple of times.

Charles Barkley, who would be at the top of the list of NBA guys who could be a great ftball player because of his skillset, said he participated in one football practice and realized it took a certain type of crazy to want to play the sport.

Nowhere near is a stretch.

If you watch Graham's and Thomas' basketball highlights, you'll notice they're incredibly similar players. High motor, athletic, just not very good basketball players. Jumbo athletes. I feel Thomas could burn linebackers and get open, make jumpball catches like Walford did last year. But he's got 3 inches on Walford.

I'm srry Idk what film u are watching that u think how Thomas is half the athlete jimmy graham currently is. I just don't see it

Advertisement
Back