Joe Rose show this morning

If like BigAlCane posted Nebraska had 360 yds rushing with only 70 YARDS AFTER CONTACT. THAT'S 290yds BEFORE CONTACT.

Stats don't lie. That's not missed tackles, that's not lack of talent. THAT'S THE SCHEME!!

Advertisement
If like BigAlCane posted Nebraska had 360 yds rushing with only 70 YARDS AFTER CONTACT. THAT'S 290yds BEFORE CONTACT.

Stats don't lie. That's not missed tackles, that's not lack of talent. THAT'S THE SCHEME!!

Saw that metric. Don't know where BigAl found it but its pretty damning and not surprising given how far off the line of scrimmage we play.

Our defense dictates nothing.

Nobody is getting fired mid-season. This will be a wait and see season fellas. I also think Golden will be here next year as well. He will be forced to get rid of D'Onofrio and hopefully he gets a good D-coordinator to take his place.

Only way Golden goes after this season will be because he gets sideways with the admin over having to get rid of D'Onofrio. JMO

Just pray to God somebody does to D'no mid season as to what Paul Johnson has done to Al Gross.... tech defense actually flies all over the place now.... which scares me... they could actually win 10 or 11 games this season.... smfh... Ga Tech and their triple option is a threat for Christ Sakes... What is this world coming too

We have 3 seasons of proof that this won't be an issue. There will be at least 2 more epic fails on D this season.

While there were some missed tackles, that wasn't why we gave up 11ty billion yards to Abdullah.

He said it was unacceptable that McNeese had a better gameplan and shut down Abdubllah

That game was lost before we even stepped on the field.

And that's pathetic considering Pelini is the guy that out-corched us.
Kind of puts things in perspective. Out coached by Bo frikkin Pelini.

Advertisement

Saw that metric. Don't know where BigAl found it but its pretty damning and not surprising given how far off the line of scrimmage we play.

I don't know where the 70 yards after contact stat itself came from, but this article mentions it:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sfl-...begins-preparing-for-duke-20140922-story.html

Golden also noted that missed tackles were an issue against Nebraska, with the Cornhuskers totaling 70 yards after Miami players made initial contact.

Assuming the stat is correct, that quote doesn't distinguish between rushing YAC or passing YAC, so we'd have to look at total offensive yards if making a comparison -- 456 (343P/113R).

That means Nebraska had 386 yards of offense completely untouched with a maximum of 113 coming through the air and therefore a minimum of 273 untouched yards on the ground. if any of Nebraska's passing yards were gained after contact, that 273 untouched on the ground would increase.

Unless our defensive players are repeatedly whiffing on tackles to the point where they don't even make contact, they were simply not in position to make plays. It's clearly the scheme. This stat, assuming it's true, proves it.

Ninja Analysis Edit: Another interesting point to note. Ameer Abdullah's longest run was 26 yards. He also had an 18 yarder and two 17 yarders. Tommy Armstrong also had four runs between 15-17 yards. Those were the longest runs of the game.

That's 8 runs accounting for 143 yards.

Let's assume the best case scenario (from D'Onofrio's perspective): our players were in position and there was immediate contact on each of those runs, but our players failed and the runs happened because the tackles were broken. That would leave us with at least 130 untouched yards on the ground for the remaining 46 shorter rushes. That's still slightly under 3 untouched yards/carry after factoring out the best 15% of their runs (in an unrealistic best-case scenario).

So not only were those 273 untouched yards not simply a few huge chunk plays of 60+ yards, but even factoring out their top 8 runs, we still gave up 3 untouched yards per carry.

We were consistently out of position and unable to touch their running backs until they were three yards upfield and that's a completely unrealistic best case scenario. Let that sink in.

(I went through the play by play to find the largest runs -- http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400547789)

If you need even more proof -- 54 rushing attempts, 0 TFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim has some very inside contacts. If he's taking a hard line, that is interesting. Think what you want of him, he's a good journalist.

****, I forgot that. He ripped Swasey too. Said it's not enough to just bench a certain number. It's not 10 years ago. Strength is scientific today.

This. Does Swasey even have a degree in anything? These other schools have guys bachelor's in their respective field. You have nutritional programs etc. Do we even have that?

the other thing i find upstetting about his argument that the d is designed to have a player make a tackle- is that we shouldn't put our defense in that position where it comes down to one guy against one guy. We should have several guys in on tackles.

Advertisement
I thought Florida's tackling in the secondary vs Bama was even worse than ours. What's going on with these coaches?

I don't know where the 70 yards after contact stat itself came from, but this article mentions it:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sfl-...begins-preparing-for-duke-20140922-story.html

Golden also noted that missed tackles were an issue against Nebraska, with the Cornhuskers totaling 70 yards after Miami players made initial contact.

Assuming the stat is correct, that quote doesn't distinguish between rushing YAC or passing YAC, so we'd have to look at total offensive yards if making a comparison -- 456 (343P/113R).

That means Nebraska had 386 yards of offense completely untouched with a maximum of 113 coming through the air and therefore a minimum of 273 untouched yards on the ground. if any of Nebraska's passing yards were gained after contact, that 273 untouched on the ground would increase.

Unless our defensive players are repeatedly whiffing on tackles to the point where they don't even make contact, they were simply not in position to make plays. It's clearly the scheme. This stat, assuming it's true, proves it.

Ninja Analysis Edit: Another interesting point to note. Ameer Abdullah's longest run was 26 yards. He also had an 18 yarder and two 17 yarders. Tommy Armstrong also had four runs between 15-17 yards. Those were the longest runs of the game.

That proves those 273 untouched yards weren't simply a few huge chunk plays of 60+ yards. It means we were consistently out of position and unable to touch their running backs.

(I went through the play by play to find the largest runs -- http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=400547789)

I just regurgitated out my *** & mouth reading this... thanks alot AL

****, I forgot that. He ripped Swasey too. Said it's not enough to just bench a certain number. It's not 10 years ago. Strength is scientific today.

This. Does Swasey even have a degree in anything? These other schools have guys bachelor's in their respective field. You have nutritional programs etc. Do we even have that?

His degree is in brown nosing, specializing in former players and arod

Nobody is getting fired mid-season. This will be a wait and see season fellas. I also think Golden will be here next year as well. He will be forced to get rid of D'Onofrio and hopefully he gets a good D-coordinator to take his place.

Only way Golden goes after this season will be because he gets sideways with the admin over having to get rid of D'Onofrio. JMO

Just pray to God somebody does to D'no mid season as to what Paul Johnson has done to Al Gross.... tech defense actually flies all over the place now.... which scares me... they could actually win 10 or 11 games this season.... smfh... Ga Tech and their triple option is a threat for Christ Sakes... What is this world coming too

We have 3 seasons of proof that this won't be an issue. There will be at least 2 more epic fails on D this season.

Might be 4 or 5..... Duke Offense... Cincinatti..North Carolina... VA Tech.... FSU ... Oh **** I forgot Pittsburgh. .. The only team I'm not worried about now is ****... I'm worried for all them Virginia and Ga Tech included.... wow times are changing

Advertisement

That's 8 runs accounting for 143 yards.

Let's assume the best case scenario (from D'Onofrio's perspective): our players were in position and there was immediate contact on each of those runs, but our players failed and the runs happened because the tackles were broken. That would leave us with at least 130 untouched yards on the ground for the remaining 46 shorter rushes. That's still slightly under 3 untouched yards/carry after factoring out the best 15% of their runs (in an unrealistic best-case scenario).

So not only were those 273 untouched yards not simply a few huge chunk plays of 60+ yards, but even factoring out their top 8 runs, we still gave up 3 untouched yards per carry.

We were consistently out of position and unable to touch their running backs until they were three yards upfield and that's a completely unrealistic best case scenario. Let that sink in.

200.gif

Advertisement
Back