Joe Jackson's Monster Numbers

My goodness Chubb was a monster this year. Hope the Dolphins draft him.

Chubb isn't going to solve our problems my dude. Gotta revamp that OL and get a QB who can win first

I know brotha. But I think he is a star in the making and I don't want us to waste another 1st round pick on an OL. Plus I doubt we go QB route till we see a healthy Tannehill return.

Dolphins started a downhill slope when Joe Thomas left as Player Personnel. When Shula got there he insisted on complete control. Joe left after first Super Bowl but the team he built then went Perfect the next year. He was master of team building. Having Shula still in his prime disguised it for a while but his player actions could not match Joe's. The teams the Thomas built fill the HOF. Getting lucky with Dan really mislead everyone into thinking the dynasty was still going. It wasn't.

Great call. Joe Thomas was responsible for 17-0. I was a kid and remember it well. The early drafts had stars and then the 1970 draft was so pivotal, to be without a first round pick yet find Mandich plus four defensive starters in Foley, Johnson, Scott and Kolen. That's 3/4 of the secondary plus the hardest hitter. Nothing serious.

Bobby Beathard and George Young got lots of publicity but they weren't in Thomas' league, not at that point anyway. Beathard took many chances on dubious character guys with the Dolphins and got burned.

Marino didn't fool anybody. Not where I was anyway, in Las Vegas. That Dolphins team was a laughingstock among bettors in that era. Every season we were looking for spots to bet against them, and it normally worked out very well. Cupcake passing team when the league rules didn't reward it.

Joe built the Viking purple people eater defense before he came to Miami. Tie-in to Miami also because he became GM at colts and hired Howard from Fins as HC. Owner fired him later and Howard came back to fins. The fact that he failed at nfl HC helped make him lisiten to Miami and take the job.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back