Jimmy Johnson

Jimmy Johnson was asked how do u stop the option awhile back..... He said.... "have better players". I loved that statement for years... But now... We have better players than tech and for but ****ed..... Jimmy didn't know how great a coach he was

Jimmy knew very well. That's the problem. He was more than honest in that statement, because he was at Oklahoma State while Switzer was at Oklahoma and Osborne was at Nebraska. Jimmy knew who had the better talent then, and he was well aware when it reversed. He loved it when it reversed because he held the cards, while the conventional wisdom was Oklahoma should prevail.

As I mentioned last night, Jimmy Johnson is a curse word on Miami Dolphin sites. I still like the guy but bottom line he ran away once he was late in his career and he couldn't stand that the Colts in the same division had superior skill position talent in Manning, James and Harrison that he couldn't threaten to match. It reminded him of his Oklahoma State days only this time there was nowhere to run. He actually made several frustrated comments during that period, that in the NFL to become great you have to be terrible for several years (premium draft picks).

Al Golden hadn't lost to Georgia Tech at Miami and had success against Navy's option while at Temple. So while we are desperate to whine at anything right now, it makes no sense to bring a former coach into the fold for some advice. As reported here often, the Canes apparently work on the option throughout the year in limited doses. Maybe Golden should have been courteous and listened briefly but I'm unaware of a similar situation in which an old coach plays an active role in strategy.

If Jimmy wants to help recruit defensive tackles, I'm all for it.

except al golden has only had success once against georgia tech's option, and that was because we ran 4-3 for that game using players that had shut it down completely in the previous 2 seasons. our offense is the only thing that won next 2 games using this bull**** d.

Advertisement
The beginning of the end is when people feel the need to give a vote of confidence, that is just what Johnson did.

Jimmy Johnson was asked how do u stop the option awhile back..... He said.... "have better players". I loved that statement for years... But now... We have better players than tech and got butt ****ed..... Jimmy didn't know how great a coach he was

JJ was telling the truth. He took the Miami job to get those players. He then went out and in four years basically destroyed the option as the offense of choice in college football. Stop the dive and tackle the backfield with or without the ball. How many times did we watch OU QB start to pitch only to find RB on the ground already. Sure you need some speed but if you coach at THE U and do not have speed on your team, you should be shot.

If you had to pick 5 guys in UM Football history you would take a call from, or return the call THE SECOND Y0U GET THE MESSAGE, Jimmy is in that group right at the top. I have defended Golden to a certain point but that is just closed minded.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back