Jimmy Johnson

Isn't Olivadotti the coach who was in the OB elevator instead of in the booth when Flutie scored on the last play...I heard the defense wasn't sure about what defense to run because he left the booth.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I posted this a few yrs ago, and thought I'd post again...These are JJ's own words to then UM DC Tom Olivadotti in a very Heated exchange shortly after Shnellenberger left UM about the Superiority of the 4-3 D...vs the 3-4 D....(When I met JJ during a trip to the Keys, I asked him if this was true and accurate, and he laughed and said it was)
"Quote"....Look *******, the Selmon Bros were AAs in an Upfield Pressure Def at Oklahoma, while you were coaching at some place called Salesianum Prep School in F*cking Delaware. Did you ever happen to wonder who might have thought up the Oklahoma Upfield pressure Defense that got the Football worlds attention?, all the way to Salesianum Prep in F*cking Delaware??.....
ME...Thats who....The Point is...my Scheme, with the right talent to execute it, can disrupt ANY Offense...Now, I know you believe otherwise...and I couldn't care less....We WILL be running a 4-3, regardless of what you, or anyone else thinks....
Olivadotti quit shortly afterwords....Talk about Savage......My favorite UM HC ever...(with Butch a close 2nd)

The years of utter failure this guy had with the Dolphins still haunts me. Uggggggg

I feel for those Cane fans who are too young to have lived through those days, there was nothing better than going to the OB to watch his teams play, **** I miss that.
My favorite coach. Cant stand the Cowboys but I loved listening to him while he was their coach. Wish he would have come back to coach the U but I know he is loving life in the Keys and loves his TV gig.

Advertisement
I feel for those Cane fans who are too young to have lived through those days, there was nothing better than going to the OB to watch his teams play, **** I miss that.

Yup. The funny thing is, and I remember this quite clearly even now, most Canes fans were extremely skeptical of this hire. We'd gotten used to seeing Kelly and Kosar sling it around and were afraid he was going to install a plodding grind it out offense. We associated the entire Big 8 with Oklahoma and Nebraska, and had zero clue what he was all about at Oklahoma St. We couldn't exactly get on Youtube and check out his teams.

Jimmy had a plan, and he worked the shi* out of it......
From the words of one of his T/E's........"You are playing for Miami, now tell me what the **** have you done for me lately?.."
Said 5" in his face......
My buddy said "You better have the right answer for Coach".
That guys............ was Miami football with JJ....

I posted this a few yrs ago, and thought I'd post again...These are JJ's own words to then UM DC Tom Olivadotti in a very Heated exchange shortly after Shnellenberger left UM about the Superiority of the 4-3 D...vs the 3-4 D....(When I met JJ during a trip to the Keys, I asked him if this was true and accurate, and he laughed and said it was)
"Quote"....Look *******, the Selmon Bros were AAs in an Upfield Pressure Def at Oklahoma, while you were coaching at some place called Salesianum Prep School in F*cking Delaware. Did you ever happen to wonder who might have thought up the Oklahoma Upfield pressure Defense that got the Football worlds attention?, all the way to Salesianum Prep in F*cking Delaware??.....
ME...Thats who....The Point is...my Scheme, with the right talent to execute it, can disrupt ANY Offense...Now, I know you believe otherwise...and I couldn't care less....We WILL be running a 4-3, regardless of what you, or anyone else thinks....
Olivadotti quit shortly afterwords....Talk about Savage......My favorite UM HC ever...(with Butch a close 2nd)

Can you imagine if Jimmy was Head Coach, and Butch was DC?

Oooooohhh. That's right -

Yeah...Olivadotti reportedly acted like a real ******* during that initial meeting....repeatedly dropping his keys on the table and badmouthing JJ's prior defense at Iowa State. Bitter about being passed over.

Some coaches decided to work with JJ and they became very successful: Gary Stevens, Hubbard Alexander and Joe Brodsky.

Not so for Olivadotti and Bill Trout. The defense was badly messed up in '84 with Trout as coordinator.

Olivadotti was passed over, at least in part, because Sam Jankovich would not elevate an assistant without prior head coaching experience to a head coach. He passed over Gary Stevens later on to bring in Dennis Erickson, as I recall. This was a set rule that Sam followed. He said he did it once before at another school and it blew up.

Advertisement
I’ll be at his house in the Gables next week so I’ll let him know that he is crazy! FYI Coach E ran an offense 30 years ago that evolved into today’s spread.
DE's offense of the time was innovative and highly regarded. Despite its design to spread the ball around passing from sideline to sideline, Erickson had TWO 1000 yard rushers at WSU the year before he came to Miami. Terry Donahue called it the best conceived offense in the Pac-10.

Any problems with Erickson at Miami were other than the offensive concept. And he kept the attacking philosophy of Johnson by bringing in Sonny Lubick who was a very good DC.

Schnelly recruited for a different scheme and philosophy.

But he did leave Jimmy a lot of players: Kosar, Testaverde, Jerome Brown, Eddie Brown, Alonzo Highsmith...
It was more than that...way more than that:

Bratton, Irvin, Stubbs, Moss, Rod Carter, Randy Shannon, Blades Brothers, Perriman, Hawkins,...tons more. Schnelly recruited a heck of a class in the winter of '84 than left.

Just like JJ did in the winter of '88, and left a great class for Erickson.

Alot of yall might not wanna hear this but for anyone who has contacts check in. Late last year when dipshyt was insisting we supported cmr no matter what you had several bot VERY UPSET WITH HIM. Two in particular. Feel free to think up names. But they entered into negotiations with a certain fox TV analyst to take over as a.d. from my understanding it went along for quite awhile and became a likelihood once we got manhandled in the bowl game yet again. Richt saved quite a few jobs by quitting. One of which being that **** eater a.d. we have. Woulda been a real different day for this staff and the entire program moving forward you give him that job.

Advertisement
Alot of yall might not wanna hear this but for anyone who has contacts check in. Late last year when dipshyt was insisting we supported cmr no matter what you had several bot VERY UPSET WITH HIM. Two in particular. Feel free to think up names. But they entered into negotiations with a certain fox TV analyst to take over as a.d. from my understanding it went along for quite awhile and became a likelihood once we got manhandled in the bowl game yet again. Richt saved quite a few jobs by quitting. One of which being that **** eater a.d. we have. Woulda been a real different day for this staff and the entire program moving forward you give him that job.
Blake James is Garbage...Nothing more than a Shalala Coffee transporter...

DE's offense of the time was innovative and highly regarded. Despite its design to spread the ball around passing from sideline to sideline, Erickson had TWO 1000 yard rushers at WSU the year before he came to Miami. Terry Donahue called it the best conceived offense in the Pac-10.

Any problems with Erickson at Miami were other than the offensive concept. And he kept the attacking philosophy of Johnson by bringing in Sonny Lubick who was a very good DC.
DE's UM offenses turned to crap because he stopped recruiting quick, tough, athletic OL who were sometimes undersized, like JJ, in favor of giant, lazy, useless sows like Zev Lumelski, Freeman Brown and Shabaka Abdul-Majid. The QB play also fell off, obviously.

Advertisement
Back