Jimmy Gaines

One play stands out among many. the VT game where the QB runs right up the gut for the winning TD. Gaines shoots the wrong gap, tries to go around the blocker, instead of engaging him which may have slowed the QB down or made him alter his course.

If you go back and re-watch that play,by the time the QB get's to the end zone, Gaines is the further away than any other player on that field to the QB. He's 6-7 yards in the VT backfield instead of maintaining his responsibilty where the QB just gashed us.

i cringe when I see our backers tring to run around blocks. The UVA game was another example of poor fundamentals. Just what has Barrow brought to the table since he's been here, coaching wise?
Spence got completely blown up those 2 QB keepers. The last one went right up off his side, he just couldnt get off the block, im gonna try to find the gif and post it for yall

Advertisement
Vinn- I remember that play, one of many mistakes he has made this year as you said. I usually see two other problems with his play consistently: 1) he doesn't try to get off of a block but instead tries to hit a pulling guard head-on, and he is the one who ends up on his back; or 2) he hits a hole only to see a RB run through another one, almost like the running backs are keying on him, and his inability to choose better or disguise his intentions kills our defense. When I watch Perryman engage a blocker but shift his body enough to get off of the block, then make the tackle, I wish we had three more of him.

Yeah I'm with Ghost. You guys are putting that on the wrong kid. I remember that being Spence. With that said, I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not as down on Gaines. I expect him to be a solid player for us over the next couple of years.

One play stands out among many. the VT game where the QB runs right up the gut for the winning TD. Gaines shoots the wrong gap, tries to go around the blocker, instead of engaging him which may have slowed the QB down or made him alter his course.

If you go back and re-watch that play,by the time the QB get's to the end zone, Gaines is the further away than any other player on that field to the QB. He's 6-7 yards in the VT backfield instead of maintaining his responsibilty where the QB just gashed us.

i cringe when I see our backers tring to run around blocks. The UVA game was another example of poor fundamentals. Just what has Barrow brought to the table since he's been here, coaching wise?
Watch #75 block Spence and he cant get off the block, the play was ran right at him like the 1st TD. They took advantage of his undersized frame

seanfail.gif

Yeah I'm with Ghost. You guys are putting that on the wrong kid. I remember that being Spence. With that said, I guess I'm in the minority but I'm not as down on Gaines. I expect him to be a solid player for us over the next couple of years.

I agree with all of this. He's still really young, I think he was a 17 yr old Fr. In a perfect world he would be a RS Fr playing special teams and in spot minutes at MLB. Unfortunately he had to be thrown in a role he probably wasn't ready for. I think he will be solid for us the next 2 years.

Advertisement
Ghost. look at Gaines on that play. He is 7 yards in the backfield. He ran around the guard #68., Spence at least engaged the blocker. Had Gaines stayed home, the play might have been bottled up. Gaines and Futch are 6-7 in the VT backfield watching the play.

I think Spence is frustrated that the MLB is nowhere to be found. Watch him raise his hands to helmet after the score. Whenm Spence makes mistakes he usually has his head down, when someone else messes up, he is more outwardly frustrated.

Look closely as Gaines runs around #68 and the hole opens up right where he originally came from.

Vinn, I'm not positive but all the LB were run blitzing and shooting gaps. Gaines hit his but Spence got bottled up and missed his. I think Golden talked about it after the game.

Advertisement
Strictly from memory I don't think he shot the wrong gap on that play. The QB goes thru the gap that spence was responsible for. Spence was sealed by a pulling guard. We certainly didn't play that well, but VT executed it perfectly. When JoJo walks up at the last second I think the read was made.

That was def on Spence that touchdown......Sure Gaines may have been out of position as with probably half the defense was too, but it was on Spence that one

on that play on remembering it..before i saw it develop and i saw gaines's angle and how he shot gap....i knew it was all she wrote..technically its on both of them as spence should have played it inside out and get off the block............

BUT...WTF was gaines thinking...he tried to dip around the guard...and literally had NO idea where the play was....and that gap was his...during the play i remember being more upset with GAINES and MICANOR REGIS than anything....those two singlehandedly gave up the whole gap on a 4th down....

Advertisement
He's Rod Mack, a guy that will play early in his career, and then as the depth chart is built back up, in his later years, he's a spot/role player

He's Rod Mack, a guy that will play early in his career, and then as the depth chart is built back up, in his later years, he's a spot/role player

Thanks, k9- I was trying to think of a good example like Mack. Was Threat the safety who was benched his senior year or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah, Threat showed some promise early on, then blew a play at Clemson in 2005 and was never heard from again

Thanks, k9- I was trying to think of a good example like Mack. Was Threat the safety who was benched his senior year or am I thinking of someone else?

Advertisement
I actually think Gaines has more than adequate athleticism and his frame his fine based on a few plays I've seen this year. If you could direct him on exactly where to go, he'd be fine IMO. He plays the game tentative and slow because he doesn't know where to go. This is a guy who played high school football at some whatever school in Buffalo. He came to MAJOR college football and all of a sudden with no experience he's thrust into MLB. He's the equivalent of the Matthews brother from Oregon that the Eagles tried to start at MLB this year. It's hard to do that to guys. I haven't given up on his attributes and hopefully he'll get a lot better with more experience. I can't say that any other young LB except Perryman has impressed me any more. Cain and Futch hardly tore ***** up. Gionni Paul looked completely lost in his limited time. The likelihood is we'll be counting on this guy next year. The biggest argument against him is that he hasn't gotten significantly better as the season has gone on, but I still expect him to be a major contributor at LB next year.

He's an All-MAC type linebacker playing at Miami. He'd be a good player at a smaller school, but with the big boys he's very average or worse.

Advertisement
Back