Jim Harbaugh’s proposal to revamp NFL/CFB

There have been some players that could have been one and done... Adrian Peterson comes to mind. One and done would KILL college football though. It starts with a guy like Trevor Lawrence going after his freshman year drafted in the 1st round, and then dilutes everything from there.

Mike Williams (USC) thought he could be a one & done guy. Then he got to the NFL and was obliterated. Ppl thought Lawrence Phillips was a one & done guy...then he got to the NFL. AP & Jim Brown were man children! AP had the body of a 20 yr old when he was born. Lol. Those r super rare exceptions, though.

Advertisement
The mystery is why does the NCAA have different rules for different sports? An undrafted Basketball player can go back to school, what's different for football players?

Can they? I thought if they don’t sign w an agent they can go back.

I hope Osu wins by 50 plus against this ****. Wish he stayed coaching in San Fran. I actually liked him there.

He also goes on about raising scholarship caps to max a 30/yr and 50 over 2yr span to help coaches coming into programs with scholarship deficits (the old Al Golden excuse)

Not to mention the one time transfer rule with no sitting out.

Overall, a lot of stuff to chew on... Wonder if anyone is listening

It sucks because guys like Trevor Lawrence would have left after the freshman year and winning the title.

You can hear the analyst saying “yeah he’s already a pro QB” even more crazy is he probably does get drafted in the first 225 picks after his freshman year.

Advertisement
No on the one and done. Football is a lot different sport than the NBA or MLB.

Yes to guys that go undrafted being able to come back to school. My question here is to return to the team or just as a student?
Return at what cost to the school?....Each student has to pay their way, through fees, or a return of investment to the team. None seen here.

So a highly touted player can go to college, get drafted after 1 year and the college provides the rest of his education free of charge in exchange for him gracing us with his presence for one year?

Maybe Jim Harbaugh should try to be a better coach instead of making public pandering statements.

This would leave CFB void of elite QBs. The NFL is so desperate for the next “guy” they’d take Trevor Lawrence and guys like him ASAP. It would be the equivalent of MLB teams taking high school pitchers to develop them in their system and monitor pitch counts

Advertisement
I don't understand how the 'ncaa' can tell schools what they owe kids after they depart the schools. Seems absurd. It may be a good decision to let them come back for a degree. But these are supposed to be SCHOOLS. There are things like admissions qualifications, and anyone else who departs a college would have to re-apply in most instances. Moreover, scholarships are just year to year. A rule that a kid who goes to your school for a sport gets free tuition forever sounds great if you're a state university and it's other people's money, I suppose.

You can take a leave of absence from college and not re-apply when you want to return. As long as you were in good academic standing when you left, it’s fine and easy to do.

The current system is designed to keep football players in college to drive revenue for the universities. What doesn't make sense is having different rules for different sports.

Once a football player declares for the NFL draft he loses his amateur status. This is an NCAA rule that has nothing to do with the NFL.

I prefer the NCAA baseball model. Players don't declare for the MLB draft. They just get drafted when they become draft eligible and then decide if they want to sign. The same thing should apply to all college sports. Take some of the leverage out of these multi billion dollar industries and put it into the hands of the student athletes.

Why should anyone have to declare for a draft? It's only done to create leverage against the student athletes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a fan of letting them finish their degree on the schools dime. That's what your scholarship is partly for. You leave, you don't get the benefit any longer. If you've turned pro you finish on your dime IMO. It's just incentive to get your check and free education.

I wouldn't mind giving the juniors an option to return if undrafted.

NFL would never go for it. They don't want to dilute their product.
They could cherry pick who they want. No one says they have to pick a 19 year old. Giving them options would be a good thing, in my opinion.

The colleges, I believe, would never go for it. This would destroy the Alabama's and Ohio States of the world, which is exactly what Jimmy boy needs to have any chance.

I have always believed a young man should have the right to go pro at any age. I also believe they should have a guaranteed education waiting for them when their playing days are over. They'd get a far better education after playing football than the one they get just trying to stay eligible to play football.

They could cherry pick who they want. No one says they have to pick a 19 year old. Giving them options would be a good thing, in my opinion.

The colleges, I believe, would never go for it. This would destroy the Alabama's and Ohio States of the world, which is exactly what Jimmy boy needs to have any chance.

I have always believed a young man should have the right to go pro at any age. I also believe they should have a guaranteed education waiting for them when their playing days are over. They'd get a far better education after playing football than the one they get just trying to stay eligible to play football.

It's a whole lot of disruption for maybe 5-10 kids a year is my main point( the freshmen/sophmores ). The cost/benefit doesn't seem to align. Not to mention players can benefit from endorsements now. So both the NCAA and the NFL have reasons to let kids develop brands before coming to the big show.

Advertisement
Back