Jim Harbaugh’s proposal to revamp NFL/CFB

BeachCanes

Sophomore
In an open letter, Harbaugh proposes players can declare after any season. Also, suggests players who aren’t drafted in the first 224 picks or don’t sign an FA contract can go back to school. Player who opts early for NFL can also complete their degree at the schools expense while playing in the NFL.

Empowering the student athlete. NBA and MLB have made some changes in this regard. This definitely wouldn’t stop UM’s tendencies of producing sure fire 7th round picks. In all seriousness though, thoughts?

Advertisement
Advertisement
NFL would never go for it. They don't want to dilute their product.
Yup. A lot of former players hate the one and done. But when the nba is giving out hella coin what do you expect. I’d bounce too for that league minimum of 1.6 too. Lol.

There is little to no need, or real benefit, for football players to declare after their freshman or sophomore season. I like the idea about juniors being able to return if they aren't drafted. College basketball needs that rule for all their undrafted early entrants. NCAA needs to fix that, not the NFL/NBA though. It'd be interesting to see what % of kids would actually go back.

1. Freshman/Sophomores have no business trying to go to the NFL that early aside from maybe 5-10 elite players per year and even they are better off staying in college longer
2. Every kid would enter the draft which would turn it into a massive clusterf***. The NFL would now have to scout 2-3X times the players every year and a ton wouldn't get drafted only to come back. This would completely disrupt recruiting and scholarship numbers if you dont know who would get drafted or who would come back

Nice lil ideas but horrible in reality

Advertisement
No on the one and done. Football is a lot different sport than the NBA or MLB.

Yes to guys that go undrafted being able to come back to school. My question here is to return to the team or just as a student?

I think few players are ready for the NFL after two seasons. Still, players declaring early but undrafted should be able to return if the team will take them back. The program should have the option as well.

The only realistic thing they could do is follow NBA policy that allow kids who don’t hire agents, come back if they don’t get drafted. The MLB policy wouldn’t work bc their are only 7 rounds, and the NFL would never agree to drafting kids who have the chance to go back to school.

IMO changes will never happen bc the NFL would have to move up the draft to before signing day or move signing day back to allow colleges to balance their rosters. This would also mean the 25 IC number would have to either rise to 30 or have no limit at all.

Not to mention what happens if a kid declares and doesn’t get drafted, but the school doesn’t want him back? Is he free to transfer? Does that mean a kid who wouldn’t be eligible to transfer after his Jr year can just declare to get around that rule? I actually like the idea, but there’s too many moving parts to make happen.

Advertisement
In an open letter, Harbaugh proposes players can declare after any season. Also, suggests players who aren’t drafted in the first 224 picks or don’t sign an FA contract can go back to school. Player who opts early for NFL can also complete their degree at the schools expense while playing in the NFL.

Empowering the student athlete. NBA and MLB have made some changes in this regard. This definitely wouldn’t stop UM’s tendencies of producing sure fire 7th round picks. In all seriousness though, thoughts?

Not a bad starting point for conversation.

I don't understand how the 'ncaa' can tell schools what they owe kids after they depart the schools. Seems absurd. It may be a good decision to let them come back for a degree. But these are supposed to be SCHOOLS. There are things like admissions qualifications, and anyone else who departs a college would have to re-apply in most instances. Moreover, scholarships are just year to year. A rule that a kid who goes to your school for a sport gets free tuition forever sounds great if you're a state university and it's other people's money, I suppose.

Advertisement
Lol @jim.

Football is thee most physically imposing sport. So you wanna put a kid who’s 17-18 yrs old, who hasn’t matured in to his body, go out, and get hit by a grown man, huh? Knock it off Jim....go plan your next slumber party. Secondly, my guy u need as many kids to stay at Meechigan as possible, b/c they ain’t cashing in on their investment.

The NFL will never go for this. This would be an absolute mess.

Lol @jim.

Football is thee most physically imposing sport. So you wanna put a kid who’s 17-18 yrs old, who hasn’t matured in to his body, go out, and get hit by a grown man, huh? Knock it off Jim....go plan your next slumber party. Secondly, my guy u need as many kids to stay at Meechigan as possible, b/c they ain’t cashing in on their investment.

The NFL will never go for this. This would be an absolute mess.
There have been some players that could have been one and done... Adrian Peterson comes to mind. One and done would KILL college football though. It starts with a guy like Trevor Lawrence going after his freshman year drafted in the 1st round, and then dilutes everything from there.

Advertisement
Back