Jessie Armstead...

As a player yes absolutely. But he's saying just accolades I think. Willie would be third out of that group. If all you're looking at is accolades coming out.
D....I agree...And I loved Armstead....but as far as on the field play...I've never seen anything quite like WW.....Seemed like every play he was the catalyst on defense...

Advertisement
Crazy to think but yes he was. He was Lawrence Taylor reincarnated. I thought forsure he was gonna win 2x Butkus awards and go on to be the top pick in the draft.
He would have if he was circa 97-2000.....Butch/Schiano/Sarge would've set him up better....But of course Willie would have had to upgrade his behavior as well. Grades were NEVER an issue with WW...Hence his principal and teachers standing up for him in court....He slaughtered his SATs. Just foolish BS in his case. Willie was his own worst enemy....

Armstead ranks up there as one of our best prospects ever, but Lester Williams (Carol City hs) was as big at the time he signed with UM in 1978. Additionally, Armstead signed with UM when we were an elite program, Williams when we were mediocre at best. Imagine Tulane achieving top 10 recruiting class this upcoming NSD with the best player in Louisiana included in group.

Advertisement
Armstead ranks up there as one of our best prospects ever, but Lester Williams (Carol City hs) was as big at the time he signed with UM in 1978. Additionally, Armstead signed with UM when we were an elite program, Williams when we were mediocre at best. Imagine Tulane achieving top 10 recruiting class this upcoming NSD with the best player in Louisiana included in group.
no doubt. fred marion was a helluva signee too.

Thought to say that. When you say just as prospects coming out than you HAVE TO SAY Kyle wright and Kenny Kelly also. Kenny was a first team all American for two years in like 3 or 4 different sports at the same time. Probably out of the three you mentioned it would be dj then just behind him would be Jesse. Honestly it's not fair to them to debate it. No faults in any of them.

People forget Kelly did some good things for us. He was a really good athlete and passer. He threw too many picks trying to be a hero, though. Held the ball too long looking for big plays.

He was smart and talented. If he concentrated exclusively on football, he could have been the greatest quarterback to set foot on Greentree. He was way too invested in baseball.

He came at the end of the dual sport era. Sports got too complicated for guys to split their time. It still worked out with Dorsey waiting in the wings.

Advertisement
The Switzer statement on Armstead is noteworthy considering nobody signed more top Texas/Dallas hs LBers than Switzer at ou

People forget Kelly did some good things for us. He was a really good athlete and passer. He threw too many picks trying to be a hero, though. Held the ball too long looking for big plays.

He was smart and talented. If he concentrated exclusively on football, he could have been the greatest quarterback to set foot on Greentree. He was way too invested in baseball.

He came at the end of the dual sport era. Sports got too complicated for guys to split their time. It still worked out with Dorsey waiting in the wings.
Dorsey was taking that spot in 2000 regardless of Kelly....Kelly's injury just speeded up the process..

Super weird bump in the midst of all the recruiting going on but I was reading through some old threads on here during my quarantine and figured I’d share this YouTube video that popped up in my recommended about a month ago. Is this guy our best recruit ever? This entire team was absolutely filthy yet he still sticks out as clearly better than anyone else in this video.

Man, those guys on D were flying.

Btw....bring back the big shoulder pads.

As a prospect it’s gotta be Armstead, Willie Williams and Dj Williams as our best recruits ever. I read an article after researching that 88 Dallas Carter team and Barry Switzer stated that Armstead was the best LB he’s ever seen. That whole story is super crazy behind that team. There’s a 30 for 30 on them.

Here’s a list of Armstead’s high school accolades from the TX HS HOF.

Texas HS Football Hall of fame
1988 SuperPrep National POY
1988 SuperPrep #1 overall recruit
1988 USA Today All-American
1986,87,88 Parade Magazine All-American
1986 Parade Magazine SO of the year
1988 Texas 5A State Champion
1988 Texas Fab55 (#1 overall recruit)
1988 Texas 5A POY
1988 Texas 5A 1st Team All-State
1987 Texas 5A 1st Team All-State
Lester Williams was as important recruit as any Cane ever in 1978....He was the Nation's #1 DLman....and it was that class (Saban's last) that truly started the ball rolling....

Advertisement
Dorsey was taking that spot in 2000 regardless of Kelly....Kelly's injury just speeded up the process..
I'd have to agree with him though. If Kelly would've told(think it was Tampa Bay or Cincinnati)I'm done with baseball and simply focused on football, he could've been scary. Alot of kids resented him instead cause he acted like he was better than everyone cause he had that baseball money already. If he focuses Butch wouldn't have had an issue and it would've been tough without injury to replace him. Everything happens for a reason right.

I'd have to agree with him though. If Kelly would've told(think it was Tampa Bay or Cincinnati)I'm done with baseball and simply focused on football, he could've been scary. Alot of kids resented him instead cause he acted like he was better than everyone cause he had that baseball money already. If he focuses Butch wouldn't have had an issue and it would've been tough without injury to replace him. Everything happens for a reason right.
D....but as you already know....the exhibition Dorsey put on at Greentree summer of 99 hinted of what was to come...

Advertisement
D....but as you already know....the exhibition Dorsey put on at Greentree summer of 99 hinted of what was to come...
Yeah absolutely no denying it was known what a talent Dorsey was. But there was also lil denying the angles that Kelly's talent opened up for the offense & Coker loved Kelly initially. Butch was always about competition and best man. But without injury I'm curious how it would've played out. He probably just would've had a real short leash.

In the real Friday Night Lights, Jessie Armstead made the play that defeated Permian High in the finals.
That play was actually against Marshall in the Quarterfinals it’s shown in the video here. Marshall’s RB was Odell Beckham Sr. That Permian game was actually the Semi Finals in real life and was in a driving rain storm at UT not in the astrodome like the movie.

In the real Friday Night Lights, Jessie Armstead made the play that defeated Permian High in the finals.
Jesse was a Bad MFer.....Absolutely Loved him.....But when my Son wouldn't shut up about WW in 03...I had to see for myself (3 times) and was flabbergasted at his Relentlessness on the field....Best I've ever seen....

Advertisement
Back