Jessie Armstead...

Jesse was a Bad MFer.....Absolutely Loved him.....But when my Son wouldn't shut up about WW in 03...I had to see for myself (3 times) and was flabbergasted at his Relentlessness on the field....Best I've ever seen....
WW is probably the best HS football player to ever come out of South Florida right there with Sean Taylor. It’s still mind boggling to me that Sean didn’t get more publicity in high school. In todays world he’d be a topped out all-world #1 overall recruit.

Advertisement
People forget Kelly did some good things for us. He was a really good athlete and passer. He threw too many picks trying to be a hero, though. Held the ball too long looking for big plays.

He was smart and talented. If he concentrated exclusively on football, he could have been the greatest quarterback to set foot on Greentree. He was way too invested in baseball.

He came at the end of the dual sport era. Sports got too complicated for guys to split their time. It still worked out with Dorsey waiting in the wings.

Kelly was born 10 years too early as his skill-set would have been a very good fit with some of the spread offenses that took over the sport after 2004 or so.

Advertisement
That play was actually against Marshall in the Quarterfinals it’s shown in the video here. Marshall’s RB was Odell Beckham Sr. That Permian game was actually the Semi Finals in real life and was in a driving rain storm at UT not in the astrodome like the movie.
I don't want to mention how long ago I read that book. One of the better books I've read.

I don't want to mention how long ago I read that book. One of the better books I've read.
The movie portrays Permian as an underdog team which in the case against Carter was probably the truth but they were far from underdogs in general. That school was a true powerhouse back in those days kinda similar to what Southlake Carroll is now in Texas. I read it forever ago as well. Watched that 30 for 30 on Carter not long ago. Many people consider that Carter squad to be the most talented high school football team ever assembled. They had 5 guys go to the NFL and two of their best players got arrested for armed robberies after the season one was a Parade All-American Derric Evans. Crazy talent for a HS team. Canes fans probably remember Clifton Abraham from FSU, he was also on this team. Jimmy Johnson strolled in and stole Armstead away from the SWC back in the day. I hope Mario Cristobal can repeat history with Harold Perkins!

Advertisement
Yeah absolutely no denying it was known what a talent Dorsey was. But there was also lil denying the angles that Kelly's talent opened up for the offense & Coker loved Kelly initially. Butch was always about competition and best man. But without injury I'm curious how it would've played out. He probably just would've had a real short leash.

Thing with Kelly is the offense was bi-polar with Him in there, He always seemed to underthrow Santana. Miami ran a timing offense, so Dorsey was a better fit. If Dorsey was the QB the entire 99' season we win 10-11 games easy, that 3 game losing streak that year was frustrating.

The Houston game, 1991, they came in with an unstoppable offense, of course we blew them out. Klingler said on one play he saw their fastest receiver being covered by a linebacker step for step. That was Armstead.
Thing with Kelly is the offense was bi-polar with Him in there, He always seemed to underthrow Santana. Miami ran a timing offense, so Dorsey was a better fit. If Dorsey was the QB the entire 99' season we win 10-11 games easy, that 3 game losing streak that year was frustrating.
Then he'd have more experience when playing at Washington, and we don't go into a big hole vs them.

Then he'd have more experience when playing at Washington, and we don't go into a big hole vs them.

IDK, I think we would've still lost that game. Remember that was Dorsey's 1st start in a hostile environment, so maybe He was a little shook. And Santana had an uncharacteristic fumble on that punt return. And that ref didn't help things with that BS PI call.

It was bi polar because he was never truly in ested in football. Anytime baseball called he put football on hold. I was saying if baseball wasn't in the equation that would've been a different conversation with him just focusing on getting better at football. He under threw everyone by the way because he threw the ball like a baseball. Those were his mechanics. Just go watch some old clips and you'll see. Butch stayed drilling him on that.

Advertisement
Funny thing is that I remember Jessie Armstead as a special teams standout first at UM while waiting his turn to start at LB. It wouldn’t work that way today with such a highly touted and decorated recruit.

The Houston game, 1991, they came in with an unstoppable offense, of course we blew them out. Klingler said on one play he saw their fastest receiver being covered by a linebacker step for step. That was Armstead.

That wasn't Armstead...it was Darrin Smith, who was the Fastest of the trio....

It was bi polar because he was never truly in ested in football. Anytime baseball called he put football on hold. I was saying if baseball wasn't in the equation that would've been a different conversation with him just focusing on getting better at football. He under threw everyone by the way because he threw the ball like a baseball. Those were his mechanics. Just go watch some old clips and you'll see. Butch stayed drilling him on that.
@Brooklyndee .....100% Facts....Coker would get on him too....

Advertisement
it wouldnt have been his first start in a hostile environment if he playee got better as the ga
That wasn't Armstead...it was Darrin Smith, who was the Fastest of the trio....
Posted that by mistake, from my tablet. It wasn't Armstead, so I didn't mean to post it. You can see I've got two different subjects in there.

Lesson: don't get involved in two separate threads at the same time!

Advertisement
Back