Jerry Jeudy wins Biletnikoff

When I was still wearing a prosecuting attorney's hat, I used to ask all the time, kind of "tongue in cheek" but not really, whether we could charge people money for the waste of resources. People will look at it and say what's the big deal. But my view was that every minute wasted on this nonsense was a minute I didn't spend on an important case and i wanted a way to teach people a lesson to stop wasting resources. Alas, we were all so busy that once dismissed it was never thought of again and we didn't correct this irresponsible behavior.
If I had my way, the two of them would have to pay the salaries of the officers, paralegals and attorneys for every minute spent on this case. Then maybe people would think twice about doing this.
He shouldn't have been arrested for what amounts to nonsense. Blame insecure cops who assert authority with arrests they know won't withstand scrutiny, and make them pay the people they've falsely detained.

Advertisement
He shouldn't have been arrested for what amounts to nonsense. Blame insecure cops who assert authority with arrests they know won't withstand scrutiny, and make them pay the people they've falsely detained.
A major part of the problem is that since the OJ Simpson case, yes I am being serious, every police department took the position that in the case of alleged domestic violence they will ALWAYS make an arrest as a matter of policy. This includes cases involving roommates who are not in a relationship. This is why we see more pointless arrests in domestic cases than anything else. And this is because every police department wants to avoid a lawsuit. So the police are not making a decision so much as they are applying policy.

Advertisement
Back