Jermaine grace

Advertisement
Beason was in the 200-205 range when he came on campus, iirc. Is grace even 200 LBs?

Yes, well last time he checked in he said he was 206 I believe.

And I'm telling ya, if those other guys don't start getting better in coverage, Grace can see the field early. He honestly looks smoother in coverage than any LB on our roster. I know it's high school and different schemes etc, but I wouldn't count him out personally, even though we look to be deep at the position.

Grace told me he was 211 when I spoke to him today. He's still very lean, and has room to add weight on his frame.

He's a good read and react run defender, and very smooth in coverage. For a unit that struggles so mightily in pass coverage situations, he could see the field early in 3rd down/passing situations.

Ah, thanks Cameron. It was around late summer when he said 206 I think and I am 100% on board with your thinking here.

I think in the worst case scenario for Grace he'd end up a linebacker in the coverage nickel/3rd down package D'onofrio likes to run. Golden's slowly upgrading this team in every aspect and in time your Cornileus's and Armbristers are starting to turn in Jermaine Graces.

From ESPN recruiting

"He has the size and athleticism for the outside linebacker position at a major level of competition."... "He has a good frame which should be able to support added bulk over time. His athleticism allows him to play in space effectively and he does a very good job with key and diagnosis reaction skills against the run and pass."..."He shows very efficient skills as a zone coverage defender. In fact, we feel his overall athleticism is conducive to playing man coverage. His hips look fluid when dropping into underneath zones and he gets his eyes on the quarterback with a good feel for receivers in his area, showing very good combo route awareness. He also demonstrates very good break on throws with the ball skills needed to make interceptions. "

I don't understand why people think Grace is small. My understanding is he's legitimately over 6' and already over 200 pounds. Again, e's still in High School! By the time he steps foot on campus, he'll be anywhere from 210-215. He may or may not redshirt depending on the numbers and injuries at LB. I don't anticipate he'll have a significant role here until 2nd or 3rd year. At that point, he'll potentially be in the 225-230 range. He's got great range and feel for the flow of the ball.

What is the problem?

Advertisement
I don't understand why people think Grace is small. My understanding is he's legitimately over 6' and already over 200 pounds. Again, e's still in High School! By the time he steps foot on campus, he'll be anywhere from 210-215. He may or may not redshirt depending on the numbers and injuries at LB. I don't anticipate he'll have a significant role here until 2nd or 3rd year. At that point, he'll potentially be in the 225-230 range. He's got great range and feel for the flow of the ball.

What is the problem?

Juwand Blue was the smalled LBer recruit we've had in Golden's tenure here............and the kid is now huge.

I aint even worried. Fentress is a beast

Grace is not big. That´s pretty much the only knock on him. Although I´m sure he can get up to Beason´s size. Jon´s hardly a Mack Truck.

Really?? Beason left UM weighing 240!

You sure? The NFL still lists him as 237, and even 240 is hardly big for a LB.

Yeah, he's hardly big ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OQ3tjPsL0

/rolls eyes.

So he is ripped and could star on Whorechant, big deal. Doesn´t mean he is big for an NFL LB, which is the point at hand.

240 isn't big for an NFL LB? Huh? There aren't many Levon Kirkland fellow, bruh.

What is the problem?

tards gon tard

usually a kid in HS playing LB that is already 230+ will end up on the DL

Really?? Beason left UM weighing 240!

You sure? The NFL still lists him as 237, and even 240 is hardly big for a LB.

Yeah, he's hardly big ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9OQ3tjPsL0

/rolls eyes.

So he is ripped and could star on Whorechant, big deal. Doesn´t mean he is big for an NFL LB, which is the point at hand.

240 isn't big for an NFL LB? Huh? There aren't many Levon Kirkland fellow, bruh.

No, 240 isn´t big for an NFL LB. As the other guy said, it´s actually pretty exactly average.

Advertisement
One thing that got me more excited about Grace was Cameron's description of the South Plantation/Miramar game.

Stats for the 2 players we care about:
Alex Collins - 5 carries, 22 yards, 1 catch, -1 yard
Jermaine Grace - 8 tackles (6 solo, 2 assist), 2 TFL

Collins and Grace met on running plays 3 times. Collins tried to juke, and outrun Grace all 3 times. He failed to do so every time.
Collins got so frustrated that he got a personal foul facemask penalty after a play on the Miramar sideline, grabbing Grace's helmet and trying to spin him to the ground. It was the definition of a frustration penalty. In games past, the jukes and outside runs were enough to shake the defense. But, against a player of Grace's caliber, that was simply not the case.

A very interesting game. Lots to write about (which I will).
In the end, Miramar was victorious by a score of 3-0.

Looks to have excellent pursuit and coverage ability, what's not to like?

One thing that got me more excited about Grace was Cameron's description of the South Plantation/Miramar game.

Collins and Grace met on running plays 3 times. Collins tried to juke, and outrun Grace all 3 times. He failed to do so every time.
Collins got so frustrated that he got a personal foul facemask penalty after a play on the Miramar sideline, grabbing Grace's helmet and trying to spin him to the ground. It was the definition of a frustration penalty. In games past, the jukes and outside runs were enough to shake the defense. But, against a player of Grace's caliber, that was simply not the case.

If you thought those statistics were good, take a look at Grace's work from the Cypress Bay game:
24 tackles (15 solo, 9 assist), 3 tackles for loss, 1 pass defended (Cypress Bay only threw 10 times on the night, so not many chances for this) and many instances of tracking down Cypress Bay skill players (like 2013 RB Matt Dayes and 2013 WR Alex Montgomery) after they made other Miramar defenders miss, or broke their tackles.

A yeoman's effort in a game the Patriots lost to a focused and physical Cypress Bay team.

He's kinda good.

Advertisement

If you thought those statistics were good, take a look at Grace's work from the Cypress Bay game:
24 tackles (15 solo, 9 assist), 3 tackles for loss, 1 pass defended (Cypress Bay only threw 10 times on the night, so not many chances for this) and many instances of tracking down Cypress Bay skill players (like 2013 RB Matt Dayes and 2013 WR Alex Montgomery) after they made other Miramar defenders miss, or broke their tackles.

A yeoman's effort in a game the Patriots lost to a focused and physical Cypress Bay team.

He's kinda good.

:eekeyes:

Alex Montgomery is usually the fastest player on the field. If Grace was able to catch that kid running around in the secondary, he's an insane aathlete.

It won't be easy at all means to gain that weight, easy talking about it then doing it but Grce seems to have the right mindset like the majority of cane players. No one on any team Beason was on out worked Beason, that's why he was able to accomplish the things he did. Hope Grace can have the same impact.

Advertisement
Sounds like Dan Morgan 2.0

He's kinda good.

Advertisement
Back