Jermaine Grace

Advertisement
Peter, do they look for Moore at LB then?

if they recruit Skai Moore he;ll be a definite lock...he's my best friends lil cousin..and were big um fans. **** we were gonna make sure he got to the al golden camp....

Skai is going to be a big kid...he's about 215 right now and close to 6'2

I hope our emphasis on becoming a bigger team doesn't result in overly rigid standards for kids like this, who have proven they can play.

We all saw how Shannon's CB height requirement worked out for guys like Jayron Hosley and Ricardo Allen.

I still don't see how he's that undersized. At a legit 6' 1", he's freakin' 196 pounds BEFORE his senior season in High School. He'll be 205, at least, by the time he steps on campus, and could be up to 210. By the time he redshirts and/or ever steps foot on the field for a meaningful snap at the LB position, he'll likely have progressed to a 6' 1" 220 LB (and that's under the presumption that snap has to take place as a RS Frosh). By the time he's counted on as a cog in the defense (his RS Soph year, presumably), he's potentially a 6' 1" 230 pound player. That's essentially what Rocky Mcintosh mostly played at in his time here.

I hope this "undersized" issue with the coaches (again, using Perryman as the previous reference) is something they mainly use for inspiring the kids to work hard to bulk up.

If a guy like Grace isn't in this class, he's exactly the type of player we'll see as a Sophomore or Junior get 1st team all-conference honors at Pitt or a similar program. Again, he's the type of guy Auburn used to sneak out of South Florida.

All this.

The dude is a flat out stud with exceptional speed. I am sure Golden & Co. can see this and are getting this kid ahead of the UTough curve. Should he instead say, "Hey man, you are a good size right now! Don't do a thing to bulk up for a year, we'll take care of that at UTough at 5AM next summer!"? lol. He'll be a Cane and wants the country to see it on signing day. Hopefully in a All-Star game somewhere. Locking down Miramar isn't a bad idea.

Advertisement
I still don't see how he's that undersized. At a legit 6' 1", he's freakin' 196 pounds BEFORE his senior season in High School. He'll be 205, at least, by the time he steps on campus, and could be up to 210. By the time he redshirts and/or ever steps foot on the field for a meaningful snap at the LB position, he'll likely have progressed to a 6' 1" 220 LB (and that's under the presumption that snap has to take place as a RS Frosh). By the time he's counted on as a cog in the defense (his RS Soph year, presumably), he's potentially a 6' 1" 230 pound player. That's essentially what Rocky Mcintosh mostly played at in his time here.

I hope this "undersized" issue with the coaches (again, using Perryman as the previous reference) is something they mainly use for inspiring the kids to work hard to bulk up.

If a guy like Grace isn't in this class, he's exactly the type of player we'll see as a Sophomore or Junior get 1st team all-conference honors at Pitt or a similar program. Again, he's the type of guy Auburn used to sneak out of South Florida.

All this.

We are looking for big LBers with speed. They are all over Florida. We dont need any more 190 pound Lbers coming out of highschool

All this.

We are looking for big LBers with speed. They are all over Florida. We dont need any more 190 pound Lbers coming out of highschool

That's way to corchesque. We can not afford to be overly rigid with size requirements at specific positions. If a kid can play he can play. As Lu pointed out Grace should be over 200lbs when he steps on campus and will likely spend a redshirt year bulking up.

All this.

Is that you Randy?

Advertisement
My opinion is that Grace can play and he definitely belongs in this Miami class. I can see why the staff is cautious - he doesn't fit their prototype of what a LB should look like in their system - but I think you find a role for a kid like Grace. He's instinctive, he's great in space and he can cover. He's a bit heavier than Spence was at the same point in HS but Spence was stockier and more powerful so he was more college-ready when it comes to taking on blocks and handling the physical jump from HS to college. Grace is more a rich man's Cornelius than a Spence clone. Lavonte David is also a fine comparison for Grace, but David has out-of-this-world elite instincts and tackling ability...Grace is good but not that good, although I hope he gets there.

I like that the staff has a vision for what each position should look like but I also agree that having rigid size requirements is Corch-esque and causes you to miss out on talent. No reason not to take Grace, but the chances are very high that he signs with Miami so I'm not worried.

I think it speaks fairly highly of Grace that the staff is recruiting him as hard as they are at this point, even if he's not a top-level kid in terms of effort they're willing to expend.

Jawand Blue, who as has been noted has similar measurables right now, got an offer. Sure, different classes, different schollie loads, etc. Even so, count me in the group who thinks the coaches are trying to get the kid's mind right and have him work hard. If/when he shows out his senior season, I'm sure he'll get the requisite love.

if grace hits the weight room he has a real high ceiling, i really like this kid. with malcolm and tracy here no chance grace goes anywhere else. those are his homeboys

Advertisement
I think it speaks fairly highly of Grace that the staff is recruiting him as hard as they are at this point, even if he's not a top-level kid in terms of effort they're willing to expend.

Jawand Blue, who as has been noted has similar measurables right now, got an offer. Sure, different classes, different schollie loads, etc. Even so, count me in the group who thinks the coaches are trying to get the kid's mind right and have him work hard. If/when he shows out his senior season, I'm sure he'll get the requisite love.

Grace has a much higher ceiling than Blue IMO

I think he is built similar to Ali Highsmith coming out of central.

NAW,,,aLI WAS PRETTY BUILT AND PUT TOGETHER SORT OF STOCKY. Ali was like 6'0 210 coming out...

Grace is a wiry rangy kid...he's a 6'1 with long wiry arms and slender. Probably a Cookie Buchanon type frame...is who ill compare him too.

Grace has A+ coverage skills.....and long speed...Shannon would have been all over him..he's his type of olb.

Advertisement
Just wanted to throw a great big "I friggin told you so" out there!

Check out some of Blue's pics from the first day of practice. That kid can pack on muscle FAST.

Just referencing the height/weight thread, Jawand Blue weighs 194 lbs so would Golden really not take Grace's commitment?

Blue may have a higher upside for strength and packing on muscle, even though they are the same weight. The coaches recruiting him would be able to tell.

Blue will redshirt.

I want this kid bad. Miami's linebackers for the most part have been built on speed rather than power and that's what this kid is. He can definitely get to 230 or so and that's fine with me in a college linebacker as long as he keeps his speed.

I want this kid bad. Miami's linebackers for the most part have been built on speed rather than power and that's what this kid is. He can definitely get to 230 or so and that's fine with me in a college linebacker as long as he keeps his speed.

dannyboy why do you want this kid so bad?

Advertisement
Back