2024 Jeremiah Smith 2.0 ,,, Signs with Taint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting his reply to my comment. And like I said, he moved the goalposts. But I'm going to leave this conversation because I know what follows next. Enjoy the day, man.

Wait, don’t leave yet sir.

Answer his question.

You want accountability for everyone here. Let’s make sure we save some of that for yourself.

Advertisement
Wait, don’t leave yet sir.

Answer his question.

You want accountability for everyone here. Let’s make sure we save some of that for yourself.
My point was: Mario does not have to be an x and o guy like Norvell and Day (the two coaches given) in order to persuade Jeremiah Smith to sign with Miami. The posters point was that "recruiting is about selling what you have", and then he explained what he meant by that.

For example, the poster said, "Who do u think can sit in a room and tell a player how they will be utilized norvell,day, or Mario?". And, "I think for top recruits the hc drives the ship and with mario track record vs the guys we are recruiting with its not the same".

I'm understanding this to mean: when it comes to recruiting Jeremiah Smith and other talented skill players, Mario is at a disadvantage in recruiting because he can't do what Day and Norvell can i.e., explain to recruits how he plans on using them. The poster said "this is what recruiting is all about".

And my response is, although I agree with you that Mario is not an x and o guy, he doesn't have to be to be able to recruit at a very high level. Mario is easily one of the greatest recruiters in college football. But he's never been an x and o guy. He's landed guys like Jerry Jeudy, Calvin Ridley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Troy Franklin, Flowers, Thibadeux and etc. None of those guys were OL (Mario's expertise), but he still signed them.

The poster then agreed with me and said, "I think mario does a great job of selling the vision of the program, he’s relentless and is probably one of the coolest most down to earth coaches in the country that kids will love and play their hearts out for". That's moving the goalposts. He went from saying, "recruiting is selling what you have" and being able to articulate to recruits how you will use them to "yeah, recruiting is about selling the vision of the program, being relentless, and being a col coach who can relate to kids and have them play their hearts out for you".

That's a far cry from "recruiting is about selling what you have" and being an x and o guy.

Being an x and o guy and being a cool guy kids can relate to are not the same thing.

But hey, I think I'm just being really ****y right now, so I'm just going to apologize to @No_Fly_Zone and @E1k.

Last edited:
Look, clearly the problem is that Mario doesn’t stand on a sidewalk and shout “he’s back!” Five times awkwardly in front of a camera before giving an awkward hug. It’s the recruiting tool he’s always been missing obviously

I don't think anyone is saying to blame Mario for being unable to break down offensive schemes to offensive recruits. What's been pointed out is that for a HC like Riley or Norvell (who run and call plays on one side of the ball), it's an advantage when the HC can talk that talk. Just like it's an advantage Mario has when he's recruiting OL and he can go into specifics with those recruits.
I know what you and others are saying, i simply disagree with it. The best leaders know what they are good at and more importantly what they are not.

When Josh Pate visited Miami in the offseason, it was Dawson sitting and explaining the issues he saw with TVD and how he thought he could fix them. Norvell calls plays for FSU so its quite logical for him to be the one breaking dow film with the QB. Mario is not a OC, a QB coach, nor does he call plays, what sense would it be for him to be the one doing it when a QB visits?

The player simply has to compare what Dawson breaks down, his track record, his recent production v Norvell.

Cristobal is gonna point out the rest of the roster, the RBs production, the OL development, the full roster development well.as the other factors like NIL etc.

Advertisement
I know what you and others are saying, i simply disagree with it. The best leaders know what they are good at and more importantly what they are not.

When Josh Pate visited Miami in the offseason, it was Dawson sitting and explaining the issues he saw with TVD and how he thought he could fix them. Norvell calls plays for FSU so its quite logical for him to be the one breaking dow film with the QB. Mario is not a OC, a QB coach, nor does he call plays, what sense would it be for him to be the one doing it when a QB visits?

The player simply has to compare what Dawson breaks down, his track record, his recent production v Norvell.

Cristobal is gonna point out the rest of the roster, the RBs production, the OL development, the full roster development well.as the other factors like NIL etc.
Hunger Games Odds GIF

jennifer lawrence the hunger games gif GIF

It wouldn't make any sense for Mario to be explaining it. At all. On that we 100% agree.

But in the same vein, it wouldn't make any sense for Norvell or Riley to break down OL play to an OL recruit. Yet, how many OL recruits have we seen say they love the fact that our HC is an OL guy and gets into the weeds coach them? There've been a few. I imagine there are also QBs and WRs that feel that way when the HC is more involved in their position group.

That's not taking anything away from Mario. It's just highlighting a difference that could matter to certain recruits.

He said more than that. He said, "Recruiting is about selling what u have. Who do u think can sit in a room and tell a player how they will be utilized norvell,day, or Mario?". And he's implying that Mario can't sit in a room and tell a player how they will be utilized like Norvell and Day can. And if that's true, ergo, Mario can't recruit since that is what "recruiting is about".

If he's right, then how come Mario is arguable the best recruiter in college football?

Now I agree, that Norvell and Day can better relate to offensive players and the ways that they will be utilized but Mario doesn't have to do that to persuade Jeremiah Smith to sign with his team. Mario has other abilities that flat out trump Norvell's ability to explain to recruits how he plans on utilizing them.
But they still commit that’s all that matters. He saying something right. Saban doesn’t just speak to dbs, he recruits anyone and lands them. Then after they perform he can say he developed them. Easy and no one will care.

So when we beat these offensive geniuses what are they going to say? Norvell is going to be in his office saying, but I showed him so many mesh routes I drew the perfect post route the line was so perfect how did he go to Miami.

Advertisement
Selling what you have, telling the player how u will be used…thats what im saying. Im not moving any goalposts u just misunderstanding lol u can sell the player on anything i said that in context of someone saying we just show the players hey look our wr stats are better than this teams, thats surface level thinking.

Breaking down your offense to a recruit and showing them how they will be maximized is selling what you have

And i agree thats basically what i said, mario doesn’t have to be great at every phase recruiting wise he can keep doing has worked for him. Im just talking about what could possibly be factoring into this recruitment and why that could be an advantage that fsu and osu have because there HCs are the architects of their own offense

This could all be false lol we are all guessing
So using your logic Saban, Smart, Lanning…..how can they land any quality offensive recruits? They can’t sell anything offensively because they’re defensive coaches. Or do those rules only apply to Mario not being able to sit down with a recruit as HC and sell an offense?

For that matter how did Mario bring in the DL class we have lined up or the LB class last year?

Norvell is a better offensive mind than mario. If u sat in the room with both as a receiver and talked football who do u think could convey what they would do with you better? Not numbers just cut on tape and talk football, who do u think would be more convincing in that situation?
Watch the Wolf of Wall Street sell me this Pen scene that’s your answer

Advertisement

Exactly ... IF the HC is also the OC / play caller it is a different situation. In the case of Miami ... the OC would discuss how the offensive player will fit into his offense.

Top coaches take depleted roster over all the time and start winning in year 2. Is it the only path to success? No, there are others but it’s not out of hand to see what had happened and being concerned, and there has been positives but the negatives have outweighed them by a good amount.

Ultimately what I’m saying is that I respect your take, but not understanding why many are down based on what has happened is crazy. If a rival coach goes 12-12 6-10 his first two years we are clowning them and rightfully so. It doesn’t make them miserable, they are observing unsatisfactory results and to make it worse it’s not the first or even third time around with this.
🙄

I
I don't think anyone is saying to blame Mario for being unable to break down offensive schemes to offensive recruits. What's been pointed out is that for a HC like Riley or Norvell (who run and call plays on one side of the ball), it's an advantage when the HC can talk that talk. Just like it's an advantage Mario has when he's recruiting OL and he can go into specifics with those recruits.
Its an advantage only if Mario did not have an OC, but he has Dawson. In fact, it’s an added advantage for Mario with Dawson because not only is he a better salesman to sell the program than people like Norveil and day, he can chip in as an OL guy on offensive schemes and defensive schemes

Advertisement
I prefer to have a head coach who doesn't call plays. It is easier and cheaper to replace coordinators than HC's. Not to mention you are stuck with one scheme the entire time with little to no change and if there is a change it's usually out of desperation and doesn't work. Jimbo comes to mind. As long as Mario is willing to make changes if needed and in two seasons it seems to be his approach
Richt as well. Didn’t want to give up the reigns or change his philosophy.

Look, clearly the problem is that Mario doesn’t stand on a sidewalk and shout “he’s back!” Five times awkwardly in front of a camera before giving an awkward hug. It’s the recruiting tool he’s always been missing obviously
Don’t forget his handy reach around

We will get one of ward or Howard and call it a day. Both are great choices, I’m not even tripping on it
Right? I mean, would really suck if we had to convince ourselves that dj uigalele was just as good and we would be just as happy with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back