Jeremiah Payton

How long have you been waiting to pull that one out of your back pocket, lol?

I can't lie. I thought your comeback funny. But I also thought Etienne was way overrated. so I'm just as guilty. Even at Clemson, he didn't impress me until his junior year. And even then, he was being compared to Cook, which he is not.

HighSeas does good work. Everyone gets projections wrong. It's the percentage right vs. wrong that matter.
Well I mean his exact words AFTER Etienne was the ACCs All Time Leading rusher, All-American and First Round NFL pick were: "He is a 20 pound over weight water-waisted RB that goes down on the first touch". Come on, that's the guy you go to for evals???

Do I think Etienne is a great NFL RB?? Not likely, he will be decent IMO

But he **** SURE is not what he said, that was a HORRENDOUS take, as is the Chad Johnson = Jeremiah Payton take. I'm sure he has some good evals as well, I just bust his balls when he gets mad at me.

All good fun for me, him not so much.

Advertisement
I liked Payton a lot and for good reason. He was one of the best WRs I've scouted with the ball in his hands. Good acceleration, very elusive and runs strong and physical. He hasn't developed his raw route running or gotten much bigger and he doesn't have great speed. He's also been hurt a bunch. Throw in the "smoke weed everyday" and poor utilization by coaching staffs who use him as a downfield boundary receiver instead of a quick game weapon and it's easy to see why he hasn't panned out.

As for the Tyler Boyd comparison that one never made sense and was purely a lazy height/weight/speed comparison from a guy in Ivins who has no clue how to evaluate football players. My comparison for Payton was Chad Johnson. At Payton's age Ochocinco was still in community college so maybe there's hope.
I've been telling folks for awhile on field isn't isn't the issue, he's one of the most talented guys we have. He's a bit of a knucklehead ( not off field ) but just aggravating stuff. Attention to detail is another , he'll make a great play then run the wrong route the next play. He's pretty **** frustrating

I've been telling folks for awhile on field isn't isn't the issue, he's one of the most talented guys we have. He's a bit of a knucklehead ( not off field ) but just aggravating stuff. Attention to detail is another , he'll make a great play then run the wrong route the next play. He's pretty **** frustrating
You think he gets burn or portals?

Wouldn't be surmised either way, he's one kid I've talked about running out of chances. The sad thing is he's supremely talented.
I think he is out off time especially if any of the 3 from last class pass him this off-season. I think he runs good routes/has good hands but is not physical or fast enough to get much burn. His speed has always concerned me.

Could be wrong, he could have a Hankerson/Harley like turn-around, but I don't see it.

Advertisement
I liked Payton a lot and for good reason. He was one of the best WRs I've scouted with the ball in his hands. Good acceleration, very elusive and runs strong and physical. He hasn't developed his raw route running or gotten much bigger and he doesn't have great speed. He's also been hurt a bunch. Throw in the "smoke weed everyday" and poor utilization by coaching staffs who use him as a downfield boundary receiver instead of a quick game weapon and it's easy to see why he hasn't panned out.

As for the Tyler Boyd comparison that one never made sense and was purely a lazy height/weight/speed comparison from a guy in Ivins who has no clue how to evaluate football players. My comparison for Payton was Chad Johnson. At Payton's age Ochocinco was still in community college so maybe there's hope.

Never saw his tape and went and watched it because of your post. Your assessment is spot on. We have been using him completely wrong.

The weed comments make me question his work ethic but MANY big time players smoke out.

He has excellent skills with the ball in his hands. Unless he is completely dogging it, we need to find ways to get the ball in his hands, especially with screens and pitches.

Never saw his tape and went and watched it because of your post. Your assessment is spot on. We have been using him completely wrong.

The weed comments make me question his work ethic but MANY big time players smoke out.

He has excellent skills with the ball in his hands. Unless he is completely dogging it, we need to find ways to get the ball in his hands, especially with screens and pitches.
Charles Rogers always comes to mind when I read weed +WR + issues. He was maybe the best College WR I ever saw not named Randy Moss and he smoked himself out of the NFL in less than 3 years.

That said I do not see the gamebreaker in Payton you guys do, just my 2 cents

Or lose his shoe while attempting to tap dance a corner

Advertisement
He is Chad Johnson with Romeo Davis's speed
Chad Johnson ran a 4.58 40 and 7.51 3cone at the Combine at 23.3 years old. Nice try though.
How long have you been waiting to pull that one out of your back pocket, lol?

I can't lie. I thought your comeback funny. But I also thought Etienne was way overrated. so I'm just as guilty. Even at Clemson, he didn't impress me until his junior year. And even then, he was being compared to Cook, which he is not.

HighSeas does good work. Everyone gets projections wrong. It's the percentage right vs. wrong that matter.
You're gonna laugh at this clown putting words in my mouth? This is why this stick of human excrement needs to be permabanned. I try to share quality insights on here and all it takes is a few ****mouth trolls to misrepresent what I say and try to make me look bad. Where is the post where I called Etienne a "subpar ACC RB"? I've been consistent saying Etienne is straightlinish with poor vision and contact skills, struggles to make guys miss and is overrated as a receiver. It's not a unique take if you follow other guys who scout backs for the NFL. Because the whole point is I don't think Etienne is a good NFL prospect and I stand by it. He was drafted by a donkey coach to be a satellite back behind a UDFA and old washed JAG.

Oh and Etienne went 18-28 against ND and made a fool of himself running into his own blocks and fumbling, and then went 10-32 against OSU in the CFP. When the lane isn't there for him he's useless at creating yards for himself.

The dude can't even get his own story straight. First he's trying to pat himself on the back for being down on Payton out of HS then he says his "HS film was legit" after I explain why he was an exciting prospect. He just follows me around thread to thread trying desperately to clown me because I dumbvoted him once or something. It's completely pathetic but so is his general existence.

High Seas on CIS:

"Etienne added at least 20 lbs from HS and it looks like water weight in his torso. He's still the same straight-linish space back who dies on legit contact. He will be an NFL bust"

What Travis Etienne actually did as "a 20 pounds too heavy water weight torso'd goes down on legit contact RB:"

:pgdead: :pgdead: :pgdead: :pgdead:

I saw him play twice in HS...Both times he was Far and away the best player on the field....Unbelievable how he hasn't done squat...

Advertisement
Tate Martell 2.0. Overrated out of HS and being pssy whipped by GF only accelerated his lack of desire to play football.

Advertisement
Pretty Good...The kid was dominating in both games....I honestly thought he'd have done something noteworthy by now...smh
Some kids can't deal with that jump of not always being "the best player on the field" and rather than strive for it they just kinda fold. No clue if that is the case here, but it has happened to plenty of these types in college.

Wouldn't be surmised either way, he's one kid I've talked about running out of chances. The sad thing is he's supremely talented.
He looked supremely talented in HS for sure. Kid was laying people out on D and looking like Deejay in the wildcat. Very physical for a WR. His lack of development has shocked me. Lack of burn makes sense if he is so inconsistent.

Some kids (for a variety of reasons) never blossom in college. JP needs to get his **** together and become an asset. I've been patiently waiting.

High Seas on CIS:

"Etienne added at least 20 lbs from HS and it looks like water weight in his torso. He's still the same straight-linish space back who dies on legit contact. He will be an NFL bust"

What Travis Etienne actually did as "a 20 pounds too heavy water weight torso'd goes down on legit contact RB:"

:pgdead: :pgdead: :pgdead: :pgdead:

He’s making a projection to the NFL. There’s no doubt he’s an asset in college.
If there was doubt about his success transferring over into the NFL he wouldn’t have returned his senior year.

Advertisement
Back