Jeff Thomas sticking with Illinois. NOT!

Advertisement
I think the key phrase you are missing is that bolded part. The student-athlete is still bound by the current transfer rules, which require you to sit out if you've accepted financial aid from an institution.

I could be wrong, but there is nothing in what you link that indicates he could enroll then, transfer free and clear after that.

Many EE's don't sign NLI's, but once they attend class, they are bound by the transfer rules.

Financial aid offers are non-binding. Letters of Intent are binding.

I swear to god all of you tea leaves misreaders need to be demoted down the tea leave job scale....

images.jpeg

Advertisement
It doesn’t bind the student. I’ve had kids enroll at other schools, we typically started a week later than most schools, they went a few days and decided they didn’t like it and enrolled at our school the following week

Again.... this tells you what you’re disputing...
However, the agreement does not bind the student-athlete to the institution any more than the current transfer rules – he or she may transfer during the term of the award.
If a student-athlete signs a National Letter of Intent, he or she cannot transfer during the initial year of competition without penalty.

Transfers, at least from 4 year school to 4 year school, dont sign LOIs.

He signed a financial aid agreement with IL. That binds IL to him, but JT can still renege.

NCAA transfer rules, however, would bind JT if he actually starts classes. Then he'd have to sit a year or get a waiver to come back

Yea he went off on Dugans about this pathetic offense we had to suffer watching this year. He did quit on his high school team too. Try growing up/spending time in East St Louis and come back to us with your thoughts.
So that makes quitting ok???

WTF?!? He was suspended from starting the VT game for skipping meetings. He then punked out again the following week. I'm all for 2nd chances as well and if Manny thinks it is the best for the program, I support it 100%. But jesus christ man stop with the excuses for the kid!
Maybe JT jumping out of Richt's clown-car offense helped among other things to push Richt out the door. If so, Thanks!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Agree with that. However, actually attending class represents acceptance of the financial aid, which subjects the student-athlete to the transfer rules.

No, completing registration is what represents the financial aid acceptance.

(Within reason) anyone could set foot in any class, and that is not, in and of itself, some sort of legal act.

But completing registration of your classes (and having the financial aid offer actually applied to your balance due) would be the legal act.

Conversely, you can't register for classes, skip them all for 2 weeks (thus, never "attending class") and then claim that you can transfer immediately.

The key is the completion of registration, not the actual attendance of classes.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back